Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
 olive drab help!!!!!!!!!!! >

olive drab help!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

olive drab help!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default olive drab help!!!!!!!!!!!

i have got my self a WALKER BULLDOG already fried the main board, wiring up a muzzle flash LED ( already done this to two tigers no problems and fitted yellow machine gun LEDs. ) the Bulldog has rx14 board the tigers have rx13 boards. I think i got a bit too much solder on the negative location on the board and shorted across to next pin, switched ON instant smoke and burnt out a strip of PCB track on the FET daughter board. Tried to repair track with lenght of wire, cut away excess solder on joint still instant smoke ordered a new board ( rx14 ) from TANKZONE.
If you want cheap metal tracks in the uk, try HOWES MODELS £47.92 for a set of genuine heng long tracks AND A SET OF NEW METAL GEARBOXs with WHITE cap motors as a kit that includes postage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway back to my initial problem the BULLDOG is already painted a funny brown colour not green, i have seen some else refer to it as UPS brown. Can anyone tell me if TAMIYA or HUMBROL do a similar colour, these are the only paints available in my area.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: olive drab help!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you trying to match the brown or OD green? If the brown then you would have to take a piece of the tank to the store and try to match it up with a bottle of brown paint. Probably wont be able to get a dead match. If OD then you are in luck! Just buy some OD paint and spray away! Your painting the whole tank I'm assuming.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM

just wanted to touch up some areas that are not painted right, like some of the fittings look like they have been put on after the main painting so i have a brown tank with the odd green bits stuck to it. i might have to re-paint the whole tank in a colour i can get easily.
Just thouhgt some one might know of a colour, my tiger1 is a grey colour which HUMBROL happen to do a colour No 144 which is a near perfect match.
oh well just a thought cheers
Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM

The OD green seems to change colour in whatever light it's in .

Same tank airbrushed with the same pot of Olive drab by Vallejo [link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Colour-Acrylic-Paint-889-US-Olive-Drab_W0QQitemZ180206444626QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56363 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]US Army OD green[/link]
Old 01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
where did you get the guys in your tanks thanks rye
Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Sounds like a good candidate for a camouflage pattern if you don't mind being historically innacurate.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

lonewolf..that howes models is a great site that i'll keep my eye on, cheap.. cheers..! can you post pic of tank..? interested to see the browness of it..! mines the green version but needs respraying though that'll wait til i get an airbrush kit and learn to use it.. wanna weather it but still soaking up info on that..

bravo2zero..love that machine gun clip o rounds you got there..![8D] where'd you find the soldiers if its not a secret..?
cheers guys, rgds stuart
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Tank crew is interesting but those figures are Vietnam with the (then) new Kevlar tank helmets. US never used the M-41 in combat, so the figures in that era should be South vietnamese, or in Germany or korea without the TC's MG shield and in proper uniform.
There are number of things on the M-41 that should be corrected;
Alice tracks on the upper photo...backwards...(maybe the lower photo is the same tank reworked?)
the driver's periscopes are looking at the sky....they pull out easy and can be trimmed and fitted in straight.
the pioneer rack is way too high and should be lowered about 50%.
There should be two spare track blocks on the fender by the driver's hatch
a tow cable should be on the left fender in brackets from the muffler shield and locking down just forward of the sponson box.
HL also forgot the travel lock on the left rear...not too difficult to make..

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 AM

Hi, the figures i bought from The USA , they are Ultimate Soldier XD 1:18th . I believe they are supplied with the Patton Tank that US XD makes. The figures arrived in kinda factory sealed packets rather than a box or carded, i also got M16's spare arms and legs and some boonie hats too. They figures set me back $3.89 for the pair.

I know the figures are NOT 100% correct or time scale but it's closest your going to get as nobody else makes anything else like it, not even tamiya .
Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 AM

have looked at the tank in daylight you are right changes colour HOW WEIRD SMART PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!
where did you get your paint from as i can only get TAMIYA AND HUMBROL around my area non of which matches the colour even in daylight. have not got an airbrush so will have to brush paint hence only want to touch up areas.
tank still in bits awaiting new main board from TANKZONE.
Fitted metal tracks ( right way round pointing downwards both of them no alice tracks what ever that means must be american slang ), muzzle LED,machine gun LED and moved ON/OFF switch to where bb shot switch was but cannot try it due to fried board.also put 3mm bright LED into big machine gun on top of tank and moved position into in front of main hatch and cut up figure so he looks like he is firing it, when it works it should look quite good i hope!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:50 AM

new to this r/c stuff and forums etc bit of a silver surfer my son calls me, have been back to your reply and realised there was a link to the paint you used DOH !!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Ultimate soldier also puts out nice US figures, including tankers. The upper torso fits well, they need virtually no repainting and the uniforms are correct for a tanker from WW II thru the early 60's. (For historic accuracy, the uniform tops for the 60''s could be repainted a bit greener.) The "Nam" era figures are made for the M-48A3 and they look good with it, but NO tanker (outside of Vietnam) was ever allowed to operate his tank in T shirts and we didn't have "Boonie hats" then.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM

recieved my pot of olive drab from the supplier you mentioned looks like a good match CHEERS
Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Those figures MAKE the tank!