Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ongoing PZIII Saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing PZIII Saga

I just wondered if you Guys can notice the difference in the location of the Sprocket and Idler wheel. I thought I would post this before I did the other side incase anybody was interested in a pictorial walkthrough. The sprocket has been raised by the width of one M4 washer ( probably something approaching 0.7 to 1 mm ). The rear Idler has been raised by Approx 3mm. If it looks good to you and you want a walkthrough just let me know.
I've popped an older pic in at the end to give you an idea of the H/L standard version.

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18207.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	926848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80868.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	926849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41340.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	926850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr77618.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	926851  
Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Default RE: Ongoing PZIII Saga

Go on then gigantohawk
at least you've got my attention post away
Old 04-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Hi Nick
Yes there is a difference like you i always thought the track was to low on the panzer III and i think the panzer 4 will be the same heng long make a lot of compromise to make the tanks cheap to produce pan/tiger being the biggest .But then it gives us something to do ,they are getting better !would like to see your post havnt done this to my panzer III I fitted schurzen so no one can see it but when i do a retro on the gearboxes /motors putting in 3:1 gears and speed 400 motors i may change the return rollers idler and drive sprocket.

regards pete
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, I can't notice the difference looking at the pictures provided. Are you sure you got a stock tank in the group????
Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the second picture shows the stock setup. The other pics clearly show that the real idler has been raised, is this more accurate?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Captain Nemo12

I think the second picture shows the stock setup. The other pics clearly show that the real idler has been raised, is this more accurate?

Oh, OK then . Yes it does appear the rear idler is a different height, but man this cowboy has a hard time picking that up. Somebody would have to point that out to me, otherwise I would never have caught it.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, looked at too many tanks in your life perhaps?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi Guys, it looks a lot more convincing in the flesh. Blame the photohrapher, me !!.
Captain Nemo12 you are perfectly correct, it's the second pic thats stock. They got mixed up in the download. The height of the idler is now correct according to line drawings that I've studied. In that the idler should sit on an imaginary line drawn beyond the bottom of the hull. The problem now is that the idler is too small in diameter, so I guess I'm stuck with that now. It also means the return rollers need moving again up again and I guess I'm pretty much on my own with the measurements there. As the panzer-ketten measurements are now invalid.
I'm using this tank as a prototype for mods and learning things on the way and making notes of any changes that improve it's appearance. I intend to buy another PZIII after I've finished moving things around on this one, so I can get all the adjustments right first time.

Thanks for all your comments,

Nick.