Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Buggy to Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy to Truggy

I am very pleased with my RD Logics SHO buggy and I am going to purchase another and turn it into an arena truck(truggy, arena truck is the name that the RC Pro series is giving the truggys). Which tires, engine, and pipe would you recomend? Also, is there anything else I should change?

Thanks, LeJohn
Old 02-13-2006, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Buggy to Truggy

tires for truggy, hpi nubs or crimefighters, engine rb c5bb or novarossi 528 x, pipes jp2,mugen1005,
Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 PM

mgtman, thanks for the reply... anyone else have any recomendations?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 PM

If your not stretching the chassis your just not going to be competative and wheel extenders make it very difficult to get the suspension to use the larger tires. Your best bet would be to save your money for the extended chassis version of the Mayhem ST or save money while waiting for the price of the crt to come down or get the Kyosho ready set truggy and upgrade it to a pro version as money allows. That is just my experience in changing over three different buggies. The sho is an excellent ride but I dont think it will lend it self to being made into a truggy. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Crazysavage, thanks, why would I not be competitve without extending the chassis? I was checking the specs and the CTR is only a centimeter and a half longer than the SHO. Is that enough to make a difference? What all do you gain by extending the chassis?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: LeJohn_James_23

Crazysavage, thanks, why would I not be competitve without extending the chassis? I was checking the specs and the CTR is only a centimeter and a half longer than the SHO. Is that enough to make a difference? What all do you gain by extending the chassis?
I just measured both...My CRT is 14 3/8th inches, the SHO 12 5/8 th inches. That's from the center of the axle to the center of the axle. This short wheel base along with short suspension arms and big tires, all add up to instability, twitchyness, and very touchy jumping. One way around this is to use 15mm hub extenders
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4149 and ofna wheels with the half offset http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1966 and low profile panther tires http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1969 if you use 30mm extenders, you will put alot of stress on the steering components and the drivetrain and the suspension geometry is stretched out too much and it will not respond wheel to bumps and jumps. I've done this before with some success but when you go up against a purpoes built truggy, they glide over the bumps, fly flat over the jumps and turn on a dime compared to what I could make with a short chassis and short arms. All the manufacturers are or going or have already gone to long arms for a reason. Here is a picture of a hyper7 buggy grafted on to a CRT chassis.

You may be happy with the conversion, all I'm trying to tell you is that it will be harder to drive fast at the limits of traction and stay under control and the true truggy driver will be getting around the track while using much less concentration. I also wanted to add that if you use bigger tires you will be geared too high and that makes it difficult to get on the power in the slower sections of the track because you will go to fast when you roll on the power and then when you come out of a corner and you need to blast up a short straight to clear a jump, the engine cant get on the pipe and shoot over it. You would have to use a kick ass engine and a 12 tooth clutch bell and then you may still have a problem with overheating the engine and bogging it down. Again this is my experience and some guys may have had better luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

If your not stretching the chassis your just not going to be competative and wheel extenders make it very difficult to get the suspension to use the larger tires. Your best bet would be to save your money for the extended chassis version of the Mayhem ST or save money while waiting for the price of the crt to come down or get the Kyosho ready set truggy and upgrade it to a pro version as money allows. That is just my experience in changing over three different buggies. The sho is an excellent ride but I dont think it will lend it self to being made into a truggy. Good luck.

I would have to dissagree with the not competitive part i have a buggy converted to truggy with komodo's and i was the tq at a state race in florida this past fall against all the big truggies crt's,lsp's, mugen's i personally think its more driving skill that a chassis length
Old 02-14-2006, 11:26 AM

I am not going to be able to put $300+ dolars into my buggy because I am on a tight pay roll and I am saving money for college. I appreciate the help, but I think I am going to see how it works with some offset rims... if it runs like you say, crazy savage, I'll put off buying another to turn it into a truggy and wait untill I get enough money to do everything right or just buy a purpose built truggy.

Sly, what buggy did you use in your transformation? What size engine? The SHO comes with a 5 port .21 that seems to have some decent power, but I haven't had a chance to see how it compares to another buggy since I just got it for Christmas.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:42 AM

i used an ofna ultra comp lx with the stock .26 ran offset wheels jp1 pipe the setup works great you can't get that on two wheels even if you try its glued to the ground
Old 02-14-2006, 11:47 AM

I'm gonna get some new tires (offset) and maybe some hub extenders and see how it does. Can't wait
Old 02-14-2006, 11:56 AM

if you get offset wheels don't put the extenders on you can buy the ofna dominator wheels with offset in them and the bolt right on the 17mm hex's the total cost to do this type of build is whatever rims and tires and a body cost thats it and the good thing about it is you can run buggy class and truggy class with same rig just do a tire change and swap the body
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: sly2136

if you get offset wheels don't put the extenders on you can buy the ofna dominator wheels with offset in them and the bolt right on the 17mm hex's the total cost to do this type of build is whatever rims and tires and a body cost thats it and the good thing about it is you can run buggy class and truggy class with same rig just do a tire change and swap the body
All of the above will work, but flipping over is just part of it. What I am saying is you will handle much better if you go to 15mm hub extenders $16 more, and then use the Ofna CRT wheels which are half off set. The $16 is worth the big improvement in handling. I've done this before and I compare things by lap times. If your not going to race it and your just building a cool beater then you'll be OK! If you do this, you will have wheels that you can use again for a real truggy later on. If you use Dominator full off set wheels they wont work on a real truggy unless you want handeling problems and extra wear and tear on you servo and suspension. The full off set wheels on the Dominator is the reason it is not competative against a porpose built truggy. Short arms and heavy off set wheels will not compare to longer arms and less ofset wheels that a fact and noone can dispute that.

This is a Hyper7 front, rear and center diffs and shock towers, with twin titan arms and steering blocks, on a CRT Chassis. This set up puts down lap times as fast as my CRT
Old 02-14-2006, 01:21 PM

I would have to dissagree with the not competitive part i have a buggy converted to truggy with komodo's and i was the tq at a state race in florida this past fall against all the big truggies crt's,lsp's, mugen's i personally think its more driving skill that a chassis length
Different levels in skill is a given fact, I didnt say that the CRT and other porpose built truggies are unbeatable, I said it requires more attention to drive a non extended throw together truggy at the limits of traction, and for most people, that would render them uncompetative. Where I race, a non extended truggy does not have a chance, with giant jumps and huge sweeping turns, the CRTs are untouchable and with all the new truggys coming out I'm sure the competition will be eaven heavier this season. I'd like to the results of that race published some where and start running what you are running because there are a lot of killer drivers in a Fla. state race and you must be a top dog.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:23 PM

k the hub extenders will do the exact same thing as the offset wheel.and the wheel is cheaper only way your way will work is buy getting a full blown buggy conversion for around 3 bills and i don't believe that is the answer i've proven it at many races as have many pro drivers that converted there buggy's the same way i did and it works so i don't know what to tell ya i race mine on a national level and i'm in the top 3 in the a mains so those suppose to be set up to text book logics isn't working in my opinion. I'm the only guy around here that has done a conversion like i done the others have all done it the way your stating with long arms long chassis big spur gears huge tires lol its not working for them. think about it the truck is higher makes it more unstable its wider and longer taking up more room on track harder to get through the pack in tight situations there heavier so what are they gaining honestly the fact that a book tells them that the geometry isn't perfect for the steering lol please if thats the only negitive thing then i guess its still far better than the other setup.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Okay, I think I will get the Ofna extensions. thunder tiger offsets(I chose them because the I want black and yellow dish wheels to match the body) and either Panther Komodo Dragon's or Pro-line Crime fighters. Do you think those choices are good?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:28 PM

if you go with a tmaxx size tire it won't work as well go with the komodo's if you go bigger you will have gearing issues and you won't be happy
Old 02-14-2006, 01:29 PM

keep in mind the hub extenders weigh more and it will add to more rotating mass you can get different color ofna wheels also
Old 02-14-2006, 01:30 PM

Those are great choices, talk to sly 2136 about body mounts, he seems to have a handle on the subject.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:31 PM

So what size tire should I go with? 40 Seires or would that make it worse?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM

go with the komodo's its the only tire that will work well without spending a fortune get medium soft compound last little longer
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I checked ofna and didn't see any half offset black and yellow (true color) dish wheels. Would the CTR or LSP body mounts be a good choice? I was thinking of putting a Pro-line Crowd Pleezer 2.0 for the CTR on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:37 PM

Dude the 15mm hub extenders are just a little bigger than stock, they weigh almost nothing. Go with komodos or crime fighters. They are nice and light and wont be too hard on your drive train. The half offset wheel will be better and thats that. The stock engine has plenty of power if you go to a better pipe. The 086 and the jp1 really brings the engine to life and go down to 12 teeth for your clutch bell. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:38 PM

Different levels in skill is a given fact, I didnt say that the CRT and other porpose built truggies are unbeatable, I said it requires more attention to drive a non extended throw together truggy at the limits of traction, and for most people, that would render them uncompetative. Where I race, a non extended truggy does not have a chance, with giant jumps and huge sweeping turns, the CRTs are untouchable and with all the new truggys coming out I'm sure the competition will be eaven heavier this season. I'd like to the results of that race published some where and start running what you are running because there are a lot of killer drivers in a Fla. state race and you must be a top dog.

you say at your track there are big air jumps well i don't know of any tracks that have bigger air than the track at boggy creek in florida it is now shut down but the jumps were like 6 ft high and the cars would fly a good 40 ft and the guy that won the pro series there had a kysho buggy converted like i state. so your not talking from experience i can tell where is your big air track that is so difficult to run on anyway
Old 02-14-2006, 01:38 PM

For the future; I know my engine (stock SHO .21) will not hold up to the competitive truggys, so what engine and pipe would be best. Also, what gearing for more bottom end?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 PM

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4898 These will work fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.