Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Need help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding

Hello all,
Ihave had my savage for some time now, and love it with the brushless conversion I recently did. Now I want to get another RC that is still a basher more than a racer, but that will handle better than a savage (which flips easily). I know I can lower the suspension and what not on the savage, but I want a dedicated second truck for the less insane jumps. I origianlyl looked at the Hellfire, but it seems to have bad reviews.

I was hoping you guys could help me out deciding which truggy to get. I open open to most all of them, but keep this facts in mind:
1) I will deifnately be doing a BL conversion. My neighborhood hates loud noises.
2) I would like it to be reltively durable. I don't expect it to hold up like the savage, but I do want to be able to bash without ending every run with a broken car
3) It is not absolutely neccesary, but a kit version would be nice, as Ihave all the electronics already, and I wonb't be using a nitro engine (see 1)

Please throw some suggestions at me. I don't expect all the info, but hopefully if you all throw a few suggestions at me, I can do some research on my own to decide between them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I want a 1:8 scale, not 1:10. Also, Muggy's sound cool too. Not sure what the right forum for that would be though. Is the losi muggy any good?</p>
Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need help deciding

Get a used Mugen MBX5T or X-ray XT8...  High quality, durable, etc..

Most of the other top truggies out now IMO are iffy for big jump style bashing, etc..., what with all the carbon fiber and so on.. 

A Losi Muggy makes an awesome basher too btw, and I've seen some realy cool brushless conversions....
Old 06-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Losi 8ight-T just from my experiance
Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 AM

If you want a brushless truggy you could get an Associated RC8Te and have a truggy that is ready for brushless right out of the box, and it is a kit too. I plan to get me one next month.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 AM

Ok, I like the rc8te since its $409 at tower (350 after coupon) and is ready for conversion. However, from the few psots, I am assuming its not as durable as a mugen, xray, or losi muggy.

So, now my question is which of those 3 is best for someone who will not be racing for sure. This is purely for fun. I will be doing offroading, and some onroading. I want something that can take some jumps (no insane stuff, lol, the savage is for that), but stays planted through turns. I don't wan't something that rolls over easy (savage is also for that :P).

From looks alone, the muggy seems the most durable. How does it compare with the mugen and xray as far as handling? Where does the rc8te fit into the equation (i like it for the price point).

Regardless of which I get, I will most liekly get it used (except the rc8te, since its ready for BL out of the box), since the price is considerably lower, and I am not racing, so a little wear doesn't bother me. 

Thanks fo ryour guys' help in advance.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mugen MBX5T is IMO the most durable RC money can buy.... you couldn't find a better platform for what you are looking for.....The Muggy is definitely a nice rig, but its definitely not a Mugen..... search any forum with racers and ask how tough a Mugen MBX5T is, they will tell you ! it may be a bit outdated on the race scene these days, but for bashing you couldnt find a btter truggy as far as i am concerned...
Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I forgot about the RC8TE - that's defo what I would get..  I don't even know - does it have all the carbon stuff, or is it mostly alu like the RTR??...

The RC8T is tough.. - it's what I race with...  Love it..
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 AM

My RC8T has never broken on me.....I've never heard any durability complaints with it at all.... IMO, the RC8T is just as durable as anything on the market...... And you can't beat the price.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:33 PM

So i am now leaning towards the rc8te. I have a done a little research, and the main point so far seems to be price. I can get either for about the same price (after the cost of conversion for the mugen), but the mugen would be used, and the rc8 new. If i get the mugen I will use this conversin by tekno rc: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ucts_id/138718except i won't be using the included electriclutch.

One thing I noticed about the mugen is that it has helical cut gears, I couldn't find any info about the rc8t gears. Are helical gears significantly stronger? BL is quite powerful, and a strong drivetrain is neccesary.

ANother question I forgot to ask is what type of BL setup is best for a truggy. I am running a mamba monster 2200kv in my savage. It is overpowered even in the savage. The truggies are much lighter, would the mamba max 5700kv be better, or maybe the mamba monster 2650kv? If any of you know what BL setups tend to work well in truggies, let me know.

I currently own a mamba max 5700kv and a mamba monster 2200kv. If I need to buy a new setup, I want to try a sensored setup like the tekin rx8 with one of their motors.

EDIT: There is no rush in figuring all this out, I won't be ordering anything for at least 6 weeks. I got awellpayinginternship at lockheed this summer (start in a couple weeks), and plan to use no more than1000of what I make on a gpu for my comp and a new rc. I don'tactually have much money right now.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Losi 8ight-t and or a Raze ST i own both Raze ST was 199.99 shipped and is as nice as my 8ight-t.