Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
 Powering aircraft carrier >

Powering aircraft carrier

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Powering aircraft carrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powering aircraft carrier

Using an azimuth thruster would not be scale for that era of warship, so I would say no to that idea.
Depending on the thickness of your prop in pvc would determine if it would stand up.
I have a RNLI Trent Class kit that came with vinyl props. Since I can twist the blades slightly in my hands I have decided not to use them and to go with brass props. You could use them in a combat ship, as long as the thrust ( torgue) of your motors was not such that they would distort the prop. Since you have the ability to make them I would try, it would make for an interesting experiment.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Sorry if I was a little confusing, I am not trying to to be scale. This is a project for fun and experience using cad and other engineering skills. I was wondering what you might think of the amount of thrust/maneuverability provided by thrusters as opposed to direct drive. Thanks for the help though. I guess the props will just be trial and error, have to make a few at a time for cost efffectiveness, its $50 a batch, can probably fit like 15 3" props though
Old 06-11-2010, 02:52 AM

Nothing teaches CAD skills like trying to duplicate the complex curvature of a modern battleship hull. Besides, you'll have enough work to do simply locating the hardware inside and designing the mounts for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Sorry to be a downer but I do not see this project coming to fruition.

From what I have gathered in your posts you are in way over your head.

Fully functional catapult system and sub dock...yeah right...good luck!

I will offer you a piece of advice though, as a grad holding a BMET degree and a background in fluid mechanics/dynamics as well as several years of Solidworks, you should set your standards lower and forget about accurately designing a hull in Solidworks. To do so you will have to rely heavily on surface modeling which your average high school student knows nothing of, most of them just know extrude/revolves and their variations. Also, your dinky little pistons will absolutely not be able to work for a catapult system as they cannot flow enough CFM to properly propel a plane at enough speed to be able to take off from the deck.

You will meet a lot of old timers in this hobby, nothing wrong with that because they know a lot more than I do, however the down side is they are almost always very optimistic and as for me I am a realist and I am sorry but I just don't see this happening.

And to the guy who posted earlier about a 31' battleship that holds 15 planes with bb's and torpedo's and a 90hp motor...haha yeah right! Probably just some 13 year old kid with his head in the clouds...

Anyways, read the advice I gave you carefully and then decide where you want to go from there.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Starfox9

Sorry to be a downer but I do not see this project coming to fruition.

From what I have gathered in your posts you are in way over your head.

Fully functional catapult system and sub dock...yeah right...good luck!

I will offer you a piece of advice though, as a grad holding a BMET degree and a background in fluid mechanics/dynamics as well as several years of Solidworks, you should set your standards lower and forget about accurately designing a hull in Solidworks. Also, your dinky little pistons will absolutely not be able to work for a catapult system as they cannot flow enough CFM to properly propel a plane at enough speed to be able to take off from the deck.

You will meet a lot of old timers in this hobby, nothing wrong with that because they know a lot more than I do, however the down side is they are almost always very optimistic and as for me I am a realist and I am sorry but I just don't see this happening.

And to the guy who posted earlier about a 31' battleship that holds 15 planes with bb's and torpedo's and a 90hp motor...haha yeah right! Probably just some 13 year old kid with his head in the clouds...

Anyways, read the advice I gave you carefully and then decide where you want to go from there.

LOL.. . To see is the believe. Not one pic after two years from that single post.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Pipedreams, they can be a bit of a problem to realise....but who hasn't got one?