Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV60 on what models?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV60 on what models?

It seems the RCV60 (and 90) is being used on mainly scale planes. How would this engine work on, say.....the Great Planes Venus 40? http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1025.html

Just starting to build one and not sure what engine I am going with yet. BTW, this will be my second plane. First is a Thuder Tiger PT40 trainer.

Thanks for ANY advice.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:31 AM

Default RE: RCV60 on what models?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The 2:1 reduction gearing means the SP series have heaps of torque so can pull large planes around the sky but relatively slowly. This combined with their ability to pull large scale propellers mean they are perfectly suited to scale flying hence most SP engines are used on scale planes.
They are therefore not ideal for aerobatic flying where you need the rpm at the prop rather than the torque. For that reason we wouldn't recommend them for F3A style flying. If you were looking for an engine to suit the Venus 40, you would be better going for an RCV CD series engine. Unfortunately we don't currently have a 4-stroke 70 size engine (which is what the kit recommends). The RCV58CD would be able to power the plane, but it may be just underpowered to really achieve the F3A flying.

I hope this is of use and thanks for your interest in RCV engines

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 08-02-2004, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I am trying to sort out some thoughts on this. I fly 3D Giant Scale aerobatics, 40% Edges. I am looking for a knock about plane and glow motor. For 3D we like the higher torque from the gas motors with large props. I have not seen anyone using your motor for this purpose but I would certainly think it would be an option. Have you had anyone try this on a Funtana or similar bird.

For 3D we don't want speed per se' we are looking for pull-out power. My only concern is prop clearence. We use the electrics geared down 4:1 or 5:1 to pull the large props. 12x6 props on 39' span foamies. I would be curious what the thrust is in the motors. If I could get a 2:1 power to weight I would think it would be a match.

Can you open some thoughts on this.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:13 AM

Hi

The RCV SP series really are not suited to aerobatic flying. Although they have much higher torque, the propeller is only turning at around 5000 rpm. With pattern flyers etc, the engines are turning larger propellers around the 8000 rpm mark. Therefore RCV SP series engines would be much too slow for aerobatic flying. The CD series with their 1:1 output would be preferable in such applications.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (3)

How many ft/# of thrust can these motors create?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:57 AM

A 60SP turning a 16x12 prop at 5400 rpm would give approximately 6(ft) lbs of thrust.
This would change with the pitch diameter.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne