Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV 60 SP ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV 60 SP ?'s

I have some questions about the RCV60SP engine. Can it be started with the standard electric starter, or is the adapter that is sold mandatory? How close is the glow plug to the prop? Are there any aftermarket mufflers available for it?
I am also confused as to which engines to compare to this one due to the gearing involved. Could you suggest some different brand of engine that would compare in terms of the level of performance expected? TIA...

Bill Wheeler
Old 10-22-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV 60 SP ?'s

Hi Bill

Thanks for your interest in the RCV60SP.
In answer to your questions:
1) We recommend starting behind the propeller (using our starting adapter on your starter motor) for safety reasons. Some customers however do prefer starting the conventional way (ie. at the prop) and this doesn't harm the engine so is possible.
2) the glow plug is just over 1" from the prop
3) all RCV engines use standard exhaust threads - the RCV60SP uses a M10x0.75. You can therefore use aftermarket mufflers and pipes suitable for other 4-stroke engines eg. OS52 etc.
4) the reduction gearing on the SP engines mean that whilst the engine is turning at for example 10,000 rpm, the propeller is only turning at 1/2 speed eg. 5000rpm. This means you have twice the torque of other engines running at half the speed. This basically relates to the same amount of power overall. Therefore you can compare the 60SP with other 4-stroke engines of similar capacities eg. OS52FS, Saito 58.

I hope this helps, however if you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards
Laurenne