Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy

Exited to find this forum and hello to all. I, of course, have a silly noob question. I got a Volcano S30 a few days ago and love it. When I start the car, I have to leave the glow plug igniter in for about 10 seconds or the car will instantly die after I pull it. It did not do this during the break in but after the first real run and cool down it now does this. I though maybe the plug so I changed it but still happens. It is cold so I am writing it off to cold weather but I thought I would check and make sure I was not having an underlying problem. The needles seem fine. Idles great once it warms up and sounds like it should when I open it up. Other than that the only problem I have had was the servo. It went out on the second tank while I was doing 1/4 throtle 8's. It was easy enough to replace with $12 unit from the hobby shop and Redcat should be sending a stand by replacement. Kind of a bummer but I have been running it hard since and all is well.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New guy

the cold could be the factor that is causing that.
i know many people use a cut up coke can or tin foil over the cooling head of the motor to help them warm up when driving them in the cold.
i wish redcat would fix the issue it has with stock servos. it seems to be the #1 thing to fail.
still, as you mentioned, replacements are cheap. and since redcat models cost less than others to start with, and the rest of the parts are good quality, they are still a good company IMO.
i had a backdraft 3.5, servo died on that to. i noticed the replacement they sent me was different. so, they may send you a different one as well?
none of the servos on my electric powered redcats have failled tho. still going strong.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New guy

Welcome to the forum there are many great people on here also welcome to the great hobby. Yes it could be the cold that is making you leave the glow plug on it longeruntilthe engine gets warmed up so I would doubt it very seriously if there is a problem should run a lot better for you once the weather warms back up some. Yes it does seems that the servos are always the first to go as stated above. Please enjoy your new hobby and if you have any questions or problems you can ask it here there are so many great people who are willing to help.