Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Complete and utter beginner? >

Complete and utter beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Complete and utter beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete and utter beginner?

Hey there,

Im looking in to flying RC planes - I don't even have any rc equipment yet.

Would it be a crazy idea to build a SPAD? Someone suggested it when I asked a question about trainers in the beginner forum - and now Im very intrigued.

I do have experience of building gliders, so I understand the princicpals of flight - trimming, cg etc

The way I sort of see it is this; I need to buy all the RC equipment anyway - so if I go and buy all that - then build myself a SPAD, if it doesnt work I can always buy a ARTF trainer and go that route, having wasted only the money to build a the SPAD.

Someone suggested the Debonair - how flexible is this design in terms of materials - it occured to me that building the fuselage out of alu c section or something similar might be more robust. For that fact, theres lots of bits that could be made out of alu.... Im just so used to making things out of bits of metal for my car... hehe...

James
Old 01-03-2003, 01:31 AM
My Feedback: (61)

A deb would be a good choice but as for alt materials be careful not to make it too heavy You can strap on a big enough engine on anything and make it fly but if it is too heavy it will fall out of the sky fast if your engine dies
Old 01-03-2003, 02:39 AM

Hi Kramer
Check out: http://spadworld.net/
Lot's of good info for beginners.
Also check out: http://www.rccombat.com/forum/forum....rplane+Designs
Do a search on the Deb.
Welcome to the world of SPAD.
You can find the plans here: http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/
Old 01-03-2003, 05:56 AM

A deb is an excellent choice for a beginner, that's what it was designed for. Flight performance is on par with any of the ARF trainers out there, but it's not $100, it's $10-$15, and much much tougher. Takes about the same amount of time to build it as it does to assemble an ARF too, after a little practice.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:20 PM

it occured to me that building the fuselage out of alu c section or something similar might be more robust. For that fact, theres lots of bits that could be made out of alu.... Im just so used to making things out of bits of metal for my car... hehe...
Rock on James!!!! You've got the Spad spirit already!!! I've begun to experiment with aluminum channel...and have found out to my total suprise that it's even lighter than gutterpipe!!! Check out the following thread. Hopefully if I get time I'll do some plans for the Big Ugly Hell On Rails.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...99&forumid=235]
Old 01-04-2003, 03:21 PM

Default SAAD?

Hey Tattoo,

Now, I don't want to suggest this.... but I thought I might ask....

Thats the difference in weight between corroplast and sheet alu?.... huh huh huh? See what Im getting at?

It wouldnt quite be a SPAD, more a SAAD - and it might be quite dangerous.... and against regulations, probably....

And what about Alu dihedral, spars whatever?

Im just a metal maniac.....

James
Old 01-05-2003, 12:44 AM

Hummmmm.
Flying razor blade, Me thinks.