Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

The Guppy

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Guppy

Well..it looks like a Guppy to me.
I wanted to duplicate the flight qualities of my Morris Pen Knife, only in coroplast.
This is what I came up with. It does some things the Morris won't do and vice versa. It knife edges better than the Morris, which really surprised me. That was my main goal to build a knife edge capable spad, while still using simple spad techniques of a basic coro fuse with a gutter pipe former.
Specs:
40 inch span
12.5 inch chord
28 inch fuselage
TT Pro 46 for power swinging an 11x5 APC(needs an 11x4)
4.5lbs
It'll be a great plane to knock around with and learn more 3D stuff. it looks like it'll hover very easily. Even with the 11x5 I could hover at half throttle and pull out with authority. We'll see if that changes in the soft summer air. Nothing like test flying a new design with skis! They worked great in 4 inch powder.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:03 PM

Default The Guppy

That's a VERY interesting fuselage! Is there any internal support? Details man...details!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:02 PM

Default The Guppy

Kinda homely isn't it Dean ? lol
It has a 16 inch piece of PVC running from the nose to the taper in the fuse. I drilled it out everywhere I could with a 2 inch hole saw to lighten it up. The coro is just glued to the sides of the pvc former and not the top or the bottom to allow for the "ventral and dorsal" fins.
It knife edges great ! I think it'd do a knife edge loop no problem with the size rudder I have on it. I can hold a knife edge with about half the Tx stick. It does tuck towards the landing gear in knife edge but not too bad. I did a power on flatspin with it the other day. It will almost hover that way. It drops so flat and so slow that I think I could land it that way. Other than the odd fuse shape it's really built with all the tried and true spad techniques. Can't wait til the wind calms down to fly it some more !