Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
 Hawker Hurrican Mark IIc 1/5 woodkit >

Hawker Hurrican Mark IIc 1/5 woodkit

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Hawker Hurrican Mark IIc 1/5 woodkit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawker Hurrican Mark IIc 1/5 woodkit

As the Val and Boomerang are finished in digital, I started on one of my alltime-fave Hawker Hurricane a while ago. This work is 90% finished, both plans & parts, the Hurricane will be built by a german mate & myself somewhere in 2012...after I have finished my val and maidened her.

Some screenshots, planteaser etc. for the Hurricane in no particular order.

I know there are already some hurricane plans available, but not this scale and some are not as scale as I like it.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Hawker Hurrican Mark IIc 1/5 woodkit

Any chance for a few more details, for example, wingspan, engine size, weight, etc? Expected cost?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 AM

Wingspan is 2438mm, length 1968mm</p>

I am aiming for a max of 20lb total weight, engine options is one of the most challenging parts, if you want no holes cut from the cowl. I do not like 2 strokes chainsaw sound, so I am considering large laser twins, or single gas 4 strokes about 60-80ccm. Still to decide.</p>
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Very nice! can't wait to see more.

What CAD program are you using?

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks like its alive , great drawings , looks excellent !!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 AM

I am using TurboCAD for most of the work (plans and 2D work, 3D renderings), not the actual edition.</p>

Finished the first set of fuse plans (will be plotted in b/w) last night. Just a bill of materials and some building notes to add.</p>

</p>
Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM

I would like to offer my Hurricane 1/5th scale prototype kits this autumn for those hurricane lovers out there. Thought this was a good moment to ask who is seriously interested in building a Hurricane this season.

There's also a new german partner who is willed to prepare custom gear sets for my plans.

This is the current state:

As stated it is the Hawker Hurricane Mark IIc
Features are

- 1/5th scale
- a three-piece-wing with the center permanently attached to the fuse - original Clark YH airfoil
- canopy rail notches for 1/4" prepared
- maintenance doors prepared
- wooden wing servo mounts included
- control horns milled, elevator and inner flaps connectors milled

As usual, my kit come along with:

- multiple sheets 1:1 colored plansets, printed from original files, no photocopies (no scratchbuilding possible) - metric and inch measurements!
- all wood pieces needed to build the plane lasercut or cnc milled; except sheeting and strip wood
- hinging and control horns cnc milled
- cnc milled (bullet proof) firewall, gear and wing mouting, no compromises here
- quality a/a+ wood from Germany's best balsa and plywood supplier
- fast reply and feedback directly from myself on questions during built, possible issues - revisions where needed
- solid packaging w/ shipping ensurance worldwide

In addition to that, there will be a clear canopy, fiberglass cowl and gear set prepared to be sent in 2015.
This built will take serious time, it is a rather complex plane, as you know.

My aim was to draw the most scale appearing Hurricane as a wood kit available. A quarterscale might follow after these building and maiden experiences.

Please send me a note with your adress/contact email for quotes, feedback and questions. The prototpe kits will come as special offers only once and a limited qty. There will be no scratchbuilding plansets offered and no cad files sent. Thanks for understanding, this was some 2 years work I have to protect. I will join in as soon as my workbench is empty.

Thanks
Christopher

PS the follow up project 2015 will be british too

Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 PM

Looks fabulous Christopher!!!! Any chance you would offer this at 1/6 scale as well. The 80" size would be ideal for some of us.
Thanks, Dave
Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 AM

Hi Dave,

thanks alot for your words. Unfortunately there will be no 1/6th scale from my side, but probably a quarterscale later next year. Some people have already asked me about that and there's no proper kit available.

You might probably go for the Brian Taylor Hurricane, that is about your scale?
Best, Christopher
Old 11-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Hi guys,

I have to post a big SORRY. I had several messages without being notified about them. Some settings we not set correct. Haven't been here for a while, so I wanted to say Hi again, the 1/5th scale is available.

The fiberglass accessories and canopy will be prepared in 2015.

To avoid delays of answering your mails again, please use the email provided in my profile here.

Thanks a lot!
Christopher
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Do you have a website??Happy New Year.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by yoska
Do you have a website??Happy New Year.
Hi Yoska,

happy new year for you, too.

I do have a website, but there's nothing special or images on it yet: www.ck-scaledesigns.com

add a "mail@" and feel free to ask whatever you want.

Christopher

Last edited by royal_chris; 02-08-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:07 AM

I have been working on the 1/5th and 1/4th moulds for cowlings and canopies.

The progress over a couple of weeks:

I have the formers and side pieces lasercut. The side pieces help to sand the perfect contour:

The wood was glued to XPS, which is a harder version of styrofoam in Germany, nice to both saw and sand. Keeo your vacuum cleaer pretty close to you when working with these.

Roughly sanded to shape. There's a typical shape error for a lot of hurricane kits: the bottom front shape tapers negatively, a lot of fiberglass cowling on the market are wrong at this particular point. It influences the appearance of the Hurricane a lot. The negative curve leads to a lot mre sportive appearance.:

First coats of dispersion putty and again sanding:

2 x 160 g glass cloths for a strong surface to work on:

sanding, filling, sanding....end in sight. Detaillings of the cowlings starts soon and I am not really sure how far I should take this. It is a lot of extra work and customers are not always willed to pay for this and compare it to flat fiberglass cowlings with not extras at all:

Best,
Christopher
Old 12-03-2016, 06:28 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Any news on the Hurrican>
Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 AM

Hi Yoska,
currently not. I moved through Germany with new job, appartment und really nice workshop. Will continue working on detailling the moulds soon. The protoype built of the 1/5th scale hasn't began yet.
Christopher
Old 02-23-2021, 11:54 AM

I finally took my cnc last autumn into service and produced two prototypes of the hurricanes. If somebody wants to join a testbuilt, please pn me.

Christopher

Last edited by royal_chris; 02-23-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:30 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Just out of curiosity:
  • do you have an APPROXIMATE price for your kit figured out yet?
  • would you consider selling templates and the molded parts along with plans for those like me that would have a hard time getting metric sized materials?
In my case, I have tools to make the wood parts and I figure it would be easier to ship paper templates and plans than precut wood. Your thoughts on this?
The following users liked this post:
royal_chris (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Just out of curiosity:
  • do you have an APPROXIMATE price for your kit figured out yet?
  • would you consider selling templates and the molded parts along with plans for those like me that would have a hard time getting metric sized materials?
In my case, I have tools to make the wood parts and I figure it would be easier to ship paper templates and plans than precut wood. Your thoughts on this?

When I started to design kits, I decided to not include templates or sheets with all pieces shown. First because of copyright issues and I don't want other people to produce and sell my kits. It was years of work. Secondly my kits contain 300 — 500 pieces, I wouldn't want to cut with any saw. That's why I don't like to call them "short kits", it is not comparable to usual short kits with all the extras that are standard in my case (hinges, control horns, servo mountings etc.)

The regular price will be 600 euro for woodkit and colored planset, prototype builders are granted with a 10% discount. A metric to imperial conversion table is included, 99% of my clients are Americans there's no problem in using 3/32 instead of 2.5 mm, or to cut stringers from appropriate Balsa sheets yourself.

Thanks,
Christopher
Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

;And I totally understand what you're saying, considering how many plan sets are being sold by second and third parties through the internet. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good. Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can get that much spare cash but, with that said, I still want one........eventually
royal_chris (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:26 AM

I will post updates on the the testbuilt, mould creations and so on. You can easily join in later, since I produce the kits myself on my own cnc. Thanks for understanding my decision to not offer scratchbuilding and respect for my work.

Christopher

Old 03-09-2021, 09:16 AM

I started checking the fitting of my kits. No glue here, just took the pieces out of the sheets to see, if everything comes together nicely, which it does.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:54 AM

Today I checked the fuselage, if all stringers run straight to the rear. This part took me countless hours when designing in digital. I wanted it as close to the original as possible. All stringer are quantity wise and angle wise scale.
They are cut from 2,5 mm balsa which seems to fit optically also nice. The stringers on 6 and 12 o'clock are included to the kit and have notches for all formers. This helps setting up all formers alot.

Christopher

Old 03-18-2021, 01:52 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks fantastic Chris. Hurricane has been on my list for a long time and if it ever reaches the top I will certainly be contacting you about your kit. Good luck with it!
royal_chris (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Looks fantastic Chris. Hurricane has been on my list for a long time and if it ever reaches the top I will certainly be contacting you about your kit. Good luck with it!
Thank you Chad, you're welcome 👍🏻
Old 03-31-2021, 01:59 AM

Default Marriage

Meanwhile the front and rear fuselage married to the full size. Since the fuselage has a solid stand on its firewall, I also took a picture from underneath. You can clearly see the center flaps fuselage plate.Everything is glued now except the ribs. I will first adjust the wing joiner and u/c mounting.
Next stop will be rudder and elevator stab.
​​​Christopher PS have a nice eastern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.