Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Antique Ultra Sport 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antique Ultra Sport 60

I just bought a scratch built Ultra Sport 60 from a pre MAAC member.
Someone built it more than 20 years ago!
Never flown.
Only need servos and radios.
Engine was stuck because of the age. After I put a few drops of nitro, and after a few minutes, it moves very smoothly.

I was going to put it up in my cottage as a decoration.
But after some study, it seems to me that I might be able to get it into sky.

My first question: Is the engine still good after sitting for 20+ years? Engine is brand new, never broken in.
My next question: What size servos I should use? According to the mounting holes, throttle, elevator, rudder are the same size, the aileron is a size bigger.

Antique Ultra Sport 60

Old 04-20-2021, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The engine might be ok. The fact that it was stuck tells me it probably had fuel in it once upon a time. If so the bearing will probably go bad quickly. Tiny rust spots on the balls in the bearing will work like sand paper on the bearing cage. I would probably try it if the motor turns smooth. If you do watch for a darker than normal color of exhaust residue. If you see this it's time for new bearings.
Any servo with 50oz or more will work fine on these. I don't know why the aile servo would be bigger unless the builder had two servos mounted side by side. When I built one many years ago I mounted the servos outboard in the wing and did not use the metal torque rods supplied with the kit. It was more a personal choice but it's a setup I like better.
I hope you put is in the air. This was my 4th plane back in the day and I taught me a lot.

David
Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can turn the prop smoothly and feel some engine compression.
I only used 2 strokes on a 1:10 RC car. I hope it's not too different than that.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You can tune with a tach but the pinch method is the easiest. Get it wide open point the nose up 45 degrees and pinch the line for a split second. It should pick up a few rpm or stay the same if it's right. If it slows down it's to lean. It can be to rich doing this but you can usually hear it if it's too rich.

david
Old 06-30-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonmot
I can turn the prop smoothly and feel some engine compression.
I only used 2 strokes on a 1:10 RC car. I hope it's not too different than that.
Not much different except the fuel. RC car fuel has less oil than airplane's.