Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Print Plans Off Computer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Print Plans Off Computer

I have some plans that I scanned out of model airplane magazines. I've enlarged them to the right dimensions, but I don't know how to make the computer print the plans tiled. I want to be able to print a piece of the plans per paper sheet and then tape the pieces together. Can anyone help?

- Tom Buckler
[email protected]
Old 12-06-2003, 10:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Print Plans Off Computer

This has been discussed numerous times. I suggest that you look into the archives, as several persons have some inovative ideas. They may not respond due to the season.

I had used Micrografx for the tiled plots since their Windows 3.1 era and it worked fine for me. Since that time, I went and bought a plotter that works through Windows and will give images or plans direct from the software. Got it for $100 and have been feeding paper though it right and left since.

As will undoubedly be mentioned, several folks use outside printing/plotting agencies. Write the file to a disk and have the firm run it off. I think Kinkos is stinko for quality and rates locally, so was using a blueprint firm for such chores. Having a project on one sheet is so much better than numerous ones.

Wm.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't go for an outside printer as Coos suggests then what you need is for the image editing software to support tiling. I just checked my Paintshop Pro and it doesn't seem to support tiling either.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: twbuckler

I have some plans that I scanned out of model airplane magazines. I've enlarged them to the right dimensions, but I don't know how to make the computer print the plans tiled. I want to be able to print a piece of the plans per paper sheet and then tape the pieces together. Can anyone help?

- Tom Buckler
[email protected]

the easiest way to do that is to take the plan out of the mag...take it to kinko's and have it blown up to the size you want...
i have a friend that does it all the time...he's never had a problem...he buys the old mag off e-bay...there are some very cool planes in them...
now to get legal,i think that is a copyright NO NO...i'realy don't think that they'll make a big deal out of it...

BTW... have you noticed that RCM is putting both sheets of the plan on one page in the consturction article???i think they do this to keep people from blowing them up...i'm not sure about MAN or MA...

good luck tom,
john
Old 12-07-2003, 11:03 AM

There are two options in you can use in any image processing s/w:

1) Cropping: It is a lot of work, but it precise. Usually cropping is provided in pixels (sometimes in inches as well) You can create each page separately as an image and print it

2) Select Area and cut: Similar in concept but you will provide the paging information via mouse (instead of the option to modify the cut size in pixels or inches) and then cut the page paste it as a nwe image file an the print each page

The best way is certainly to blow it up at kinkos (there are errors but usually minor)

Hope that helps.
e=mc2
Old 12-07-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's cheaper to buy the plan from the magazine.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Tall Paul

It's cheaper to buy the plan from the magazine.

true very true...
john