Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Big Stick Plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Stick Plans

I have been trying to find plans for the "Big Stick" design or something that is basicly the same thing. Does anyone know where I might find something like that?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Big Stick Plans

MadRat - Stiks are a dime a dozen. I build them all the time and just make them up as I go along. Just stick to standard areas and moments and you have a Stik. They're so easy to build you don't need plans.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:37 PM

Yeah actually that’s what attracted me to the design. There is one hanging up in the local hobby store and it is a really good looking airplane. Very clean simple lines, must be about a 70 or 80 inch wingspan it has a tapered wing and I believe both the leading and trailing edges are tapered.

I was thinking that for a scratch built airplane it would be a good choice for a first plane. As this is the first plane it is a learning project and some examples would be very helpful at this stage of things.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 PM

Adapt as you see fit:

Stik Wing (use D-tube instead of fully sheeted)

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...tion/index.htm

Stik Fuselage

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...tion/index.htm
Old 12-29-2003, 05:23 PM

That was perfect.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 05:26 PM

By the way, a "real" stik doesn't have a tapered wing. It's constant chord and usually about a 5:1 aspect ratio with a 15-16% airfoil.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:45 PM

Yep, and rounded fuselages and such may not be bad styling, but thay definitely aren't Stick styling.

If you're still looking, the original stik was published (or actually republished) in RCM in 1985... anfd there have been several others in various sizes and with various modifications published there as well. The original was published as "Das Ugly Stik" for search purposes.

Here's a link to their plans page... look through all the STIK entries and you're bound to find one or two that appeal to you. [link=http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001vnvpJ4OF90UusU913Y4/store/store-plans-alpha.html?link=/store/store-plans.html]CLICK HERE[/link]
Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 PM

Al - Yes, I agree. the <cof> Stik that I'm building is more a nod to the Stik than a true rendition. I really wanted to do something different while keeping some of the elements. The momens are about the same and of course a Stik has to have Iron Crosses, but otherwise, the model really isn't a true Stik. But it builds the same, is simple and can be done easily without any plans which was the real point I was making.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 PM

A valid point indeed -- and I've seen pictures of your work and the pictures say that you do know what you're talking about!

There's something about the styling of the Stik (or lack of styling?)... It's the aerodynamically ugliest thing I've ever built, but I've built a few in various sizes and there's something about it that attracts me anyway. Some things are hard to exlain, so I thought I'd provide the link to the original in case the look was really inportant.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:11 PM

Yeah I think the one I’m seeing at the hobby store is an ARF and doesn’t conform strictly to the true stick design but it really is a pretty airplane. Very clean simple lines but basically a square straight fuselage, no canopy and it has flaps (?) in addition to the ailerons, though I don’t think they are actually flaps but something else that I don’t know the name of. As I understand it they act kind of like an airbrake. So we’re talking 2 servos in each wing.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:29 PM

OK I just looked up “Big Stick” and discovered it’s not the plane I have been admiring at the hobby store, though I’m told by the owner it is a “stick” of some sort and I was sure he said “Big Stick” anyway I guess I’ll have to get more detailed information on it.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:59 PM

OK I think I found it. It’s a Hanger 9 “Ultra Stick.” Apparently I was wrong about the tapered wing. Anyway after looking at this plane I’m pretty sure it is the one I’ve been seeing at the hobby store although I could swear it had a tapered wing. Oh well I must be wrong about that because I’ pretty sure this is the plane

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/ultra.asp
Old 12-30-2003, 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Al Stein
It's the aerodynamically ugliest thing I've ever built, but I've built a few in various sizes and there's something about it that attracts me anyway.
I think most modelers feel that way which is why it's so popular. It's really not that ugly of a design - I've seen far uglier. But it's simple functionality will always make it a classic. It is so easy to build because of the flat bottom fuselage and constant chord wing that it's hard to go wrong.

In fact, the stabilizer being on the bottom of the fuselage makes it almost impossible to glue on crooked. Just a really great design. Phil Kraft probably doesn't give it a second thought, but when you see how complicated some designers make their planes for no good reason, you really have to respect how simple this design is.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to look at the Ultra Hots also. Very simple to build and they fly great. You can lighten them up and clip the wing for great aerobatics.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

While not EXACTLY a "Stick" you could check out my Big Pink.

I have plans/construction/and video on my page for it. Ryobi 31cc powered.

I wanted to build something BIG for super cheap and have good performance...I found it!!
Using alterantive building methods and many of the materials found at local hardware store.
Giant Scale airframe/servos/motor for less than $300!!
Here's my site:
www.crazyherb.com

Enjoy!
Let me know if you would like a different format than .jpg I can export to several types to raster and vector.

CrazyHerb
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can download stick plans from here: http://hem.passagen.se/rasmus-modell...ad/uglystk.zip
They come from Starcad whos site I cannot find anymore.

Happy new year!

Lars