Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
 Is a Lockheed P-38 lighting good 1st scratcher? >

Is a Lockheed P-38 lighting good 1st scratcher?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Is a Lockheed P-38 lighting good 1st scratcher?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Lockheed P-38 lighting good 1st scratcher?

I'm pretty new to the airplane scene and have always wanted to get into the scratch building segment of the field. I have found a set of plans for a Lockheed P-38 Lighting, which I would really like to build, and its got a 108" wing span and calls for twin Ryobi 31CC Engines. It seems to be a little overpowered, but like I said I.m new to the field. Looking for some advice on the subject.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is a Lockheed P-38 lighting good 1st scratcher?

The P-38 is one of the most complex models to build, and takes skill to fly. Due to the design of 2 booms and a center pod, the systems become very complicated. The engines being spaced a large distance from the center line make flying it in an engine out situation "tense" at the very least.
Not a good first scratch-build, not a good first build, & not a good first twin. I speak from experience, and I am sure those in the "know", will tell you the sme thing.
Check out the "Twins and Multi-Engine" forum for a lot of info.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mark_chininia

I'm pretty new to the airplane scene and have always wanted to get into the scratch building segment of the field. I have found a set of plans for a Lockheed P-38 Lighting, which I would really like to build, and its got a 108" wing span and calls for twin Ryobi 31CC Engines. It seems to be a little overpowered, but like I said I.m new to the field. Looking for some advice on the subject.
The P-38 is a POOR choice. always!
No matter what your skill level is.
Its aerodynamics are bad. Verticals are too small, engines are too far out from the fuselage, the wing has too much taper.
Unless you have a LOT of twin engine experience, especially with single-engine flight, which on the P-38 is very common, and very likely to end up right where the picture shows, don't try a P-38 for a first of anything.
(This is the 2nd Ziroli P-38 this guy has put in the same trash can.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	127814  
Old 04-30-2004, 01:02 PM

Do not know your aircraft preferences, but would suggest a Old Timer to begin with. it gets the basic building going and when complete, gives easy beginning flying skills. too many fellows try to be experts in building and flying right away. its the perfect way to say NUTS, after the 1st effort. again start with a floater-- NOT a hot rod. continue to ask and we all will help. dick
Old 04-30-2004, 01:08 PM

thanks for all the feed back, I'll put the P-38 on the back burner for a while and look for a simpler plane to scratch on. I started a P-51 with 36" wing span, and was just kinda looking for the next step. I really like to old warbirds, but I want them to look good when I'm done, so I'll practice on some others 1st.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Starting with any scale model as a first time scratch build is often not a good idea unless it's a simpler design. And a twin P38 certainly does not qualify.

But depending on your kit building and flying history it MAY work (not the P38, just scale in general). For the P38 I think Paul has it right. Do some searches for p38's here at RCU and I think you'll find that the vast majority of them have met with disaster. I know the reading I've done indicates that.

But I have to say that if you need to ask a question like this then you probably already know the answer. Success in building and the resulting flying is usually based on small incremental steps up the skill ladder. When you doubt your own ability to cope it's probably a sign that you're trying to jump three or four rungs at once and you're setting yourself up for a big fall.