Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
 laser cutting kits and short kits >

laser cutting kits and short kits

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

laser cutting kits and short kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laser cutting kits and short kits

Hi,

I am looking for someone to laser cut some kits for me. #1 requirment is reliability.
#2. is I won't need to rob a bank to deal with them.

Thank you,
Gloria
Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: laser cutting kits and short kits

Check out [link=http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?]AK-Models.com[/link]. Alex, the owner, does all the laser cutting for my company. His prices are very reasonable and he doesn't charge a set up fee, but the files must be in a laser ready Autocad format. He can cut most types of wood and has a wide range of wood types. Can't say enough good things about him.

Highly Recommend Them,

Mods
Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Get in touch with Bob Holman. Great guy and fast service.
http://www.bhplans.com/

John
Old 11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad choice John. Bob Holman may quote the lowest overall cost per airplane but he demands a One Time Only perfect file to work from. There is zero set-up costs involved in accepting a project, but that comes at a cost of requirements. He cuts numerous A/C for the manufacturers who advertise here at RCU, but never mentions that, for he does not want to compete with his own line of products.

To keep the costs low, Bob gets set into his ways. The file format must come across in a certain style, and he needs the customer to want perhaps a minimum of three (new design) kits. Usually if you send a file via E:mail attachment, it gets cut the next morning and then he ships out about 1-2 PM to the customer. Unless the design hits him in an unsual way, he will not take on a singular kit project, and only then at a cost.

Once a laser cutter gets really familiar with his equipment and can produce something more than burnt wood, they then produce their own line of kits, and take on outside unrelated projects. In spare time Bob cuts bug deflectors with are inserted into common streets lights (luminaires) as used by cities and the biggie Southern California Edison Company. It's not airplanes all the time. Another laser cutter makes guitars, and he tells me they are bigger profit than any single or group of model A/C. No complaints, no hurry also. If a laser cutter is a putz, he will cut anything. If he is good, he no longer has to advertise.

I have done work for both outfits noted above.

Wm.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Yup... I've had good luck using Alex at AK models... fair pricing and quick service.