Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

competition grade balsa

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default competition grade balsa

Hi
Does any of the UK scratch builders know of a source of competition grade balsa. Or is it a case of doing the best you can with what is available in the UK.

Mike
Old 04-02-2003, 06:46 PM

It is mainly a case of making do with what we have. If you want to ensure you get the best wood you need to go to the hobby shop and hand pick it.

I buy all my wood from inwood-models.co.uk online. Unfortunately, they dont take the time to sort out different grades and you have to take what you are given. But the upside is that it is a lot cheaper and I normally buy twice as much as I need.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:16 AM

First, you need to know how to grade wood by grain. The weight of the wood doesn't tell you if it's suitable for your purpose. For example, if you choose heavy wood for spars, it may be the wrong grain even though the weight implies that the wood is strong.

If you know how to grade the wood, then take an accurate scale with you to the hobby shop. If each piece of a certain size costs the same as the next, there is no reason not to be greedy and buy the best they have.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:10 AM
My Feedback: (21)

How would you grade the wood grain for specific purposes? Wasn't this in an article in RCReport? Sounds very familiar
Old 04-07-2003, 06:20 AM

Shortman - It's nothing new. Basically learn the difference between A, B and C grain and what it's used for.

I have just the basics about it here, but there are better sources that go into more detail if you search the net a little.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/balsa.htm