Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Physics Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Physics Project

I need some design software to help me work out the design for a physics project i'm doing at the moment.

Basically what i'm building is a glider that launches vertically via the use of 2 C-sized rocket engines, then from the top of it's flight, glides down to the ground.

FYI, i've gotten the approval of the rocketeer that's come to the school to help us with the project, so don't lecture me about using RC on rockets.

I'm trying to design something I can cut out of foam, and mount everything into. The shape, I figgure, is going to be delta-like, with not too much wingspan.

My second question is what's a cheap way of building a foam cutter...? Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eestes Shuttle

Some time ago back in the UK, I had an Eestes starter kit with a foam model space shuttle.

If I remember correctly, the shuttle was just made of white foam with a hollow centre in which was placed a card roll. The card roll held the rocket motor and the parachute.

The shuttle was launched from a standard rocket launcher supplied with the kit. When the motor burnt out, the ejector charge would shoot the card tube from the shuttle which would descend with the aid of the parachute while the shuttle glided back to earth (at least that was the theory).

I believe Eestes did once sell an R/C rocket aircraft, I saw one once on ebay. I don't know if you can still get these.

Looking into both the Eestes shuttle and R/C rockets should give you some ideas of what's possible, of course using multiple rocket motors adds more complication to an already interesting project....
Old 04-02-2003, 09:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Physics Project

Actually the problem is the other way around. It's against the rules to launch rockets FROM the RC models.....

Anyway, there is a recognized class for RC rocket boost gliders. Most of these look like slightly small discus/hand launch gliders. But for some reason I can't find much about it picture wise on the net just now.

I'm not sure what you mean about software to help you design your model. We mostly sketch up something based on the basics and then choose an airfoil based on what we want the model to do.

I suspect you're going to find that the delta planform doesn't glide all that well if your goal is to catch thermal. Too much drag at high angles of attack.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Physics Project

Originally posted by BMatthews

I suspect you're going to find that the delta planform doesn't glide all that well if your goal is to catch thermal. Too much drag at high angles of attack.
The goal is ultimately just to land the damn thing, and do it with a bit of style.

I've got a microreceiver (9 grams), and i'm getting servos soon... (2 servos + elevon mixer)

-Scott
Old 04-02-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Physics Project

Boost gliders... lotsa fun!

Search the web for Estes "Strato-blaster", "Astro-blaster", or "Sweet-Vee". 3 great kits they used to make. These would be a great starting point as they're tried and tested. Oh, they're not deltas either - deltas usually glide like bricks...unless they're big.

If I can dig out my kit, I'll see if I can scare up a 2-view/3-view.

Old 04-03-2003, 03:08 AM

Default Physics Project

Ugh. I've just realised that I may be in over my head on this one.

I need a material that I can cut easily, that's strong enough to survive boosted flight, and I need some kind of straightforward plan to implement this crap into.

I've got the radio equipment solved, now for the plane :-(

5 weeks... I wonder if it can actually happen.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:19 AM

Default Physics Project

Relax, bud! Balsa and white styrofoam!

Should take you a week tops...
Old 04-03-2003, 04:06 AM

Default Physics Project

"The goal is ultimately just to land the damn thing, and do it with a bit of style. "

"deltas usually glide like bricks.."

Falling with style, that sounds exactly like the Estes shuttle I had, it usually made it to the ground before the rocket motor pod.

Personally I'd ditch the on board mixer in favour of a Tx that has basic mixing functions to save a bit of weight. just my 2p....
Old 04-03-2003, 05:04 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Physics Project

Scott,
I have five different hot wire cutters, all use the same power source, a 10A battery charger. The cutters are a section of wood (your choice of length) with two pieces of fiberglass exiting at a angle with a wire stretched between them.

I use a dimmer switch to control the temperature of the wire by changing the battery charger output.

I would hot cut the design and cover it with a 50%/50% mix of white glue/water and brown paper bag. How much cheaper can you get than that? You could vary the thickness/weight/strength by using wrapping paper instead of paper bags.

Wrap all of the design at once, don't want the paper to shrink unevenly and create warps.
Pic one, dimmer/charger
Pic two, wire bow

Questions?

R. C.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67818_22766.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	41122  
Old 04-03-2003, 05:24 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default Physics Project

Pic two, Wire (cutting) bow

Name:	67824_22766.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	41123  
Old 04-03-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Physics Project

Regarding your "physics" question... which is actually an aerodynamic question:

For an object to be propelled by rocket, it must be fairly slender- launching a normal glider configuration with high aspect ratio wings would break apart and/or ascent would be wildly unstable.

For an object to glide well, it should have a relatively high aspect ratio wing.

Note the Space Shuttle is NOT a glider. Of course it must endure the violence of launch, so the wings are quite stubby. When landing, although said to be gliding, it is actually falling like a brick until it pulls up just before it hits terra firma. If this is all you need, the Space Shuttle is a good form to follow.

Otherwise, you will need to invent some pop-out wings that are triggererd either by rocket eject charge or RC servo- that would certainly add time to your project.

- George
Old 04-03-2003, 10:03 PM

Default Physics Project

A couple of things spring to mind:

1. Use a form more like Concorde. Fuse just large enough diameter to hold motor with large wings but still in delta form.

2. Look around at rocket sites for ideas:

How about the Transwing glider?
http://www.estesrockets.com/products/product166.html

Or the Nightwing?
http://www.estesrockets.com/products/product261.html

Bear in mind that for the most part we are not rocket people here, you may get more response from some of the many hobby rocketery sites around. I guess all you really need is a rocket incorporating some wing like those above that can carry the 'payload' of radio gear...
Old 04-03-2003, 10:05 PM

Default Physics Project

I remember a few years back I built a glider that had an optional foliding wing. It was a flat bottom wing where the tips folded under to the root creating a half span symetrical wing. A servo could be used to pull a pin and unfold the wing. It was basicaly a "space shuttle design" that the wings could double in lenght at the flip of a switch for gliding. The only thing is that I had never flowen it, don't know what I did with it, or remember who made it.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Physics Project

Originally posted by fly300s
I remember a few years back I built a glider that had an optional foliding wing. It was a flat bottom wing where the tips folded under to the root creating a half span symetrical wing.
That's brilliant... I might try to use that.

BUT...

Great comment from Tiggerinva about the "Nightwing" (aka Concorde style)...

It's very do-able... light and probably wouldn't glide so badly.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Physics Project

Looks like a possibility....

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=2567
Old 04-04-2003, 02:14 AM

Default Physics Project

Scott, here's your baby...

Name:	68011_18655.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	41124  
Old 04-04-2003, 02:59 AM

Default Physics Project

Originally posted by mulligan

For an object to be propelled by rocket, it must be fairly slender- launching a normal glider configuration with high aspect ratio wings would break apart and/or ascent would be wildly unstable.

- George
Out of aerodynamic newbieness, "high aspect ratio" meaning...? I'm slowly trying to learn aerodynamics between my other classes... :-P
Old 04-04-2003, 03:16 AM

Default Physics Project

Like a glider - long thin wings for high lift.

They tend to get torn off at high speeds - remember, this thing's going to accelerate to about 250-300 mph (note - MILES!) by the time it reaches the end of the launch rod (3ft.) on an E engine.

That's why the only "live" payloads you can use in model rockets are bugs - they're about the only thing (short of a well-packed egg) that can survive the acceleration.

Oh, and build it straight....REAL STRAIGHT! Otherwise you end up with an uncontrolled cruise missile that can go anywhere...

Have fun!
Old 04-04-2003, 03:22 AM

Default Physics Project

Originally posted by Couch-pilot

Oh, and build it straight....REAL STRAIGHT! Otherwise you end up with an uncontrolled cruise missile that can go anywhere...

Have fun!
So if my rocket/glider starts humping other manly-looking rockets, i've got a problem?
Old 04-04-2003, 03:28 AM

Default Physics Project

Put it this way, you'll be under the car with the rest of your buddies/class waiting for that E engine to burn out...
Old 04-04-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Physics Project

Aspect Ratio (AR) = b^2 / S

b = wingspan
S = wing area

High AR means high wingspan, low area (long and skinny), which provides higher lift/drag ratio, but is structurally inherently weaker.

- George