Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Midwest Products Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Products Problem

I recently bought some Midwest 6 x 12" ply from the LHS. After getting it home and laying out my cuts, I thought I'd measure to be sure both panels would be the same. Well, surprise, the 6 x 12" ply is actually 5-7/8 x 11-7/8". Not a problem you might say, but I was planning to cut two 3" panels out of the 6" side. What it means is that I'll have more scrap and have to buy more product. By the way, it states clearly on the sheet that it is 6 x 12". I contacted Midwest and they said their web site states that these sizes are nominal, they take the saw cut into consideration thereby reducing what the final size is, and they are sorry for my "inconvenience." As you know, we don't often have the web site available when in the LHS buying wood or other products, so we expect that the size or specs stated are accurate. Imagine buying a car with a 300 hp engine that is only nominally 300 hp, but actually 290 hp! Misleading? That's why states have weights and measures laws. Bottom line here is that Midwest doesn't care about me (or you,) so I'll be buying my future balsa, ply, and other products from manufacturers who deliver the product that they claim to. Worth considering. [&o] Lee
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Products Problem

Lee,
To start with trying to get two actual 3" pc from one 6" pc won't work since you will still need to account for blade thickness. So even if Midwest's material was spank on you would still fail.

To say a vendor who has hundreds of thousands of dollars or more invested in inventory and advertising doesn't care about you and me is a little harsh. To say they don't worry too much about one guy from Black Butt, OR who is whinning on the internet about his $5 pc of plywood he bought from an LHS and didn't check the size of before he left and had a flawed plan from the outset, might be a little more accurate.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 283 Likes on 245 Posts

This is a well known standard industrial practice. If you go to your local lumber yard for example you will find a "2X4" measures 1 5/8" X 3 5/8".
Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Flyer, you're right and that has been an accepted practice in that industry for years. However, in the hobby industry, 3" wide balsa has always been 3" wide and 6" or whatever plywood has always been 6". This is a relatively new practice in the hobby industry, and should be stated clearly on the product we buy. Thanks, Lee
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM

vicman, you're a little harsh in your response. I was just trying to let everyone know that a change has occurred in our industry and that the labeled sizes are not the actual size.