Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
How to make a prop in SolidWorks >

How to make a prop in SolidWorks

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to make a prop in SolidWorks

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a prop in SolidWorks

Thus anyone know how to make a prop in SolidWorks?

Any suggestions appreciate.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

It is kind of neat really. Just create several planes (not the flying type) at various levels away from the top plane. Put a sketch on each plane that represents the cross section at that point. Create a spline through each plane. Make sure that the spline follows the twist of the prop. Then just loft through the planes. Top the tip off with a dome or other set of features and you should be set. Finally mirror the loft for the other side.

For fooling around's sake, I create the fuselage of a Nieuport 17 the same way and then just "shelled" the interior. If I can find that model, I can sen it to you. It has a propeller.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:55 AM

Default Chevelle

Thanks that is how I think it should be done. But the really big problem is how the sketch should be. There are probably some mathematics involved here that I am not aware of. So thus any one know some about this?

Per
Old 07-02-2003, 03:38 PM

You don't need all those sections. Just draw and extrude your center hub. On the plane that goes through the center of the hub, draw your first profile of the prop. Then offset a plane the distance of one of the blades. Create a sketch and draw the new section (with the final twist).

Then all you have to do is loft a surface between the two. It'll figure out the twist for you.

This was is much better and you'll get a much smoother and nicer looking prop than making a bunch of planes. When you have a lot of sketches and you loft it, the program will try to match all the sections, and they're not always right, so the prop will look contorted. And you don't really need a spline. This is just more to add to the lofting calculation that it doesn't need. Remember, KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Check out what I did in Solidworks. It's 95% lofts. This is a fuse for a .21 powered F14.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	90910_4992.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	52324  
Old 07-02-2003, 03:39 PM

Another Pict.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	90911_4992.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	52325  
Old 07-03-2003, 05:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a question for solid works....cause I use Solid Edge...

Can you use your fuse model as a parent and link all interior parts so that the entire assembly is parametric? I have designed a pattern plane in such a way and I can strectch the overall fuse in various directions and have the formers, doublers, etc. update automatically. I just finished the wing panels in the same way which is really nice because I can quickly change the airfoil (airfoil can be linked to a spreadsheet) and plan view size while having all ribs, spars, etc. update. Even the full size plans of the assembly and templates update with every change.....

By the way, I also use two sketches and a loft to make my props.

FYI: www.geocities.com/markhunt_2000/INSIGHT
Old 07-03-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Thank's for every tip

Just one more question. Thus any know how the sketch should look. Of course it depends of what you want, but I don't have a cloe. Is there any parameter it should follow?

Per
Old 07-03-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by flyintexan
[B]I have a question for solid works....cause I use Solid Edge...

Can you use your fuse model as a parent and link all interior parts so that the entire assembly is parametric? I have designed a pattern plane in such a way and I can strectch the overall fuse in various directions and have the formers, doublers, etc. update automatically. I just finished the wing panels in the same way which is really nice because I can quickly change the airfoil (airfoil can be linked to a spreadsheet) and plan view size while having all ribs, spars, etc. update. Even the full size plans of the assembly and templates update with every change.....

By the way, I also use two sketches and a loft to make my props.
The answer is yes. And it's a good and easy way to make sure all your parts are done correctly whenever you update one part. I use it all the time when I build assemblies.

I believe Solid Edge is very similar to Solidworks. Actually, most 3D CAD systems are all similar. They all do basically the same things. The only difference is finding where the actuall commands are within the program. But once you know one program, you pretty much know them all (with a few exceptions of course).

BTW, cool plane. 3D CAD is definatly the way to go!

Russ
Oakdale Aircraft
Old 07-03-2003, 02:55 PM

There definatly is math involved with designing the airfoil for props, but most of it is probably already done. If you're just looking to draw one, take an old prop and section it to see the airfoil, then draw that.

If you're looking to draw one so you can actually make it, I'd say start doing some reasearch into prop airfoils.

If you just want basic, take the airfoil of a flat bottom wing, and use that.

Good Luck

Russ
Old 12-18-2003, 06:02 PM

Default RE: How to make a prop in SolidWorks

Rahlberg13

are you still out in RCU land, I have a few questions about solidworks. reply on this list. 12/18/03

cncfoam

Eric