Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
whats a good controler? >

whats a good controler?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

whats a good controler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good controler?

Hi everyone, im new to the forum here. I already have the enforcer manta ray which is a great boat and has a few mods and is loud and runs like hell. Im now looking into making another purchase for a Bonzi 60in Epic now. I was wondering what a great, reliable controller would be or what you guys are useing for yours? Looking for something with some trust worthy distance. Thanks for any info and pics if you could please post as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Most modern radio systems have a range of 500 or so yards on the surface. It really comes down to personal preference as to what you buy
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM

This goes for pretty much all the land 2.4gh pistol grip style?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't need anything fancy, this one will do.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVSY&P=ML
I bought one over the winter but haven't tried it out yet except for setting it up in a boat. It's a good basic 3-channel radio system and I hooked up a digital voltmeter into the 3rd channel. Of course at that price you'll have to supply your own servo's if you don't have them.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Now Ron, you do know you have opened a major can of worms recommending an FHSS system, don't you?

Jdinvt, something you will undoubtedly run into is the latest/greatest crowd. If you don't have the higher dollar FASST system in your boat, they will give you the "You won't be happy with it" or "It doesn't work as well as this" routine. Ron suggested a very user friendly entry radio. The problem, to some anyway, is it's not a FASST system. While the FASST and FHSS systems WORK EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, the FASST program has an additional "bell" that the FHSS doesn't. The FASST system also costs twice as much, on average. Let me give you an example:
I run the Futaba FHSS 4PLS. You can buy it for $250 at Tower Hobbies. You will need to buy servos and battery pack separately and receiver choices, if you need to buy additional ones, are limited due to the FHSS format
The $500 Futaba 4PX, that others will try to talk you into, is really only different in that it has the ability to use FASST or FHSS receivers and has an audio information system. Again, you have to buy servos and battery pack separately.
This just means you would have to decide if having the option of using FASST receivers and having a speaker is worth the extra $250.
As far as range, all three named by Ron and I are capable of over 500 yards which should be more than enough for your boat

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-07-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM

Marc, I'm always opening cans of worms!
The average boater doesn't need a 15-model memory and all of the bells and whistles that the fancy high-dollar radios systems have. We were fine with FM systems and they worked great in boats but now we're told that all of a sudden those aren't good enough. The only real advantage is that with a 2.4 Gig radio is if you're racing you're not waiting for someone to return the frequency clip.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:28 AM

Ron, you're preaching to the choir in this case. That is also why I threw all that information into my last post, just a little FYI
Old 04-17-2016, 06:22 AM

Hello all: My friend has a Fly Sky FS-GT3C and is running a 54" fountain and has 0 radio problems. I also just bought one for a 57" Apache and is having no problems. This radio has great digital screen and most options that come in handy for your boat or car. Just make sure you buy the real Fly Sky receivers.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwolters
Hello all: My friend has a Fly Sky FS-GT3C and is running a 54" fountain and has 0 radio problems. I also just bought one for a 57" Apache and is having no problems. This radio has great digital screen and most options that come in handy for your boat or car. Just make sure you buy the real Fly Sky receivers.
I second that I have a large amount of customers with very inexpensive fly sky radios and they are going on quite a few years of being out there now with no complaints. most of the people that do not like them spent a lot more money on there futaba's. that is what I have and its a great radio but when it gets replaced it will be with a fly sky .for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 AM

On the snobby sites the people will say that they won't put a $40.00 radio system in their $1,400.00 boat yet they'll buy a radio that has more that what any boater needs. Don't forget that you are also paying for advertising and sponsoring teams galore. Sure, the Fly Sky isn't a fancy radio but they could mold their plastic into any shape they wanted.
I was at a Gas Nat's race where I know at least 3 Fly Sky's were used and not a glitch all week. I had one of their 2-channel radios but if I bought another, it would be the 4-channel as I like the useful features on it.
BTW, I'm picking up a small fleet of boats later this afternoon and there's a Fly Sky in the lot.
Tom Moorehouse over at Int'l Waters did a comparison between a Tactic (Futaba) and a Fly Sky. The Tactic lost signal while the Fly Sky was still getting a strong one
Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My other thought is that the receivers are out in the water, I personally run in salt water a lot, but even fresh water is not always drinking water clean and can have elements that are terrible for your electronics, All i am getting at is flysky receivers are very inexpensive to replace or even buy extra's to just have on hand and replace at the lake while a wet one dries out good. also a boat with a professionally prepared prop is way better then a boat with a expensive radio and a typical prop. so freeing up a little of ones hobby budget helps a lot to allow this to happen.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 AM

A cheap radio can be great especially in boats. I use the spektrum DX4s 4ch for all of my models no matter what it is. 4ch is nice for having fail safes and telemetry and things like that for when you run gas toys. Really its up to preference. I bought it so that i would never need another transmitter no matter what i decide to buy and I like the way the spektrum feels in my hands so that's what i keep using it