Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Newbie - Anatomy of a drive shaft >

Newbie - Anatomy of a drive shaft

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Newbie - Anatomy of a drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Anatomy of a drive shaft

I am fairly new to RC Boating. I have a Sailboat which I made from a kit, and I have recently undertaken building my first boat from scratch. I got a set of plans from another member of this forum and I am proceeding well ( I think ). I have obtained an 18cc weed eater featherlite motor, and am in the process of getting ready to fit it into the hull.

But I am having a hard time trying to get my head around what I need for the drive line.

I am going to use the spring steel shaft from the weed eater but I am not quite sure how to or what to mount it in for the stuffing tube.
I planned on using some of the nylon or teflon liner which was in the shaft of the weed eater but what tube should be used to go through the transom, and how far past the transom should it go.

How do I keep the end of the shaft in the weed eater, as it just rests in the end of the drive from the motor.

I know there are alot of questions asked but any idea what prop should be used with this motor.

Thanks for any advice or comments,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57266.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	312026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48582.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	312027  
Old 08-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie - Anatomy of a drive shaft

Patroller - The shaft is actually free floating in the engine end of the shaft. You need to solder on a ferrule to your flex cable after you figure out the length. That's it. The other end of the ferrule that sticks out the back of the boat has set screws that hold on to the prop shaft. Your prop shaft will slide through the strut and into the ferrule that is soldered onto the flex cable. The prop shaft is then held onto the ferrule by two set screws and that's what holds the shaft in place. The drive shaft cannot move forward because of drive dog which is set screwed in place on the prop shaft and keyed to hold onto the prop. The shaft can't back out because of the ferrule. I'm probably really confusing the heck out of you. I cant explain this very well, but I was in the exact same boat you are in a couple months ago. The guys here on RCU will be a great help.

What you need.
1. - Flex shaft (from the weedeater) cut to the right length square on 1 end.
2. - 1/4" solder on ferrule. (solders on to round end)
3. - Prop shaft kit for the strut you are using (drive dog, shaft, prop, prop nut)
4. - Stuffing tube kit - You don't need the Teflon liner (Less things to wear out). Just fill the stuffing tube with grease every time you run.
Go to http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/ - they have all of this stuff and can probably explain some things for you. Hope this helps. JD