Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 first run probs >

first run probs

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

first run probs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first run probs

for those of you that have been following the "building a boat" thread, well i finnaly finished and took it out, but i had a few problems, i got a 25cc homelite with a quad exhaust, and when i floor it from a standstill it moves but the prop spins in the water, so i know that the prop is too small, what prop should i use? its a 46" hull deep vee also prob 2 the rudder is mounted to the right of the prop and i have a horrible time turning left i can turn right pretty good, but left takes almost the whole pond, at idle, at speed it wont do anything so what should i do, this thing is fun from what time i had with it, and when it planes out it starts picking up speed so what do u guys think?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: first run probs

Are you still running the 265? If so go to a 270 or 275.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 PM

You probably will have a certain amount of prop slip on take off and that's OK. I also built my own mono (glass over foam) and put a semi-mod 25cc Homie in it. I bought a Prather 275 for it to start. The engine would not wind up like I knew it could so I got a P270. Much more RPM and more speed. I then took my P275 that was too big and took some diameter off making it a little smaller - not quite as small as the 270 but close. I also did a 1/8" barr cut at the hub, rounded the ears of the prop and did a back cut. I also took down the tongue about 3/16". Then, rebalanced and sharpened. This was my first attempt at modding a prop. I did good! It is the fastest prop I've tried so far, putting my boat at around 30MPH (pacing with our Bass Tracker) My boat weighs in at about 20lbs. RTR so it has alot of prop slip on take off too. Once on a plane I actually notice when the prop bites because my boat has a sudden increase in speed. As for your turning dilema - I have a dual rudder system and my boat still doesn't want to turn left very well. It's because the prop wants to walk the back end of the boat to the left which in turn steers it right. That is why all boaters have a problem steering left. Check your rudder throw - you should be able to steer left a little and right really well.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

does any1 have a 275 for cheap, would be willing to trade my 265, dont really have alot of cash now, due to going back to school, but if ya have one, lemme know
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
My Feedback: (1)

My rudder is the XP style single from WHH, it is directly behind the prop. I have no problems with left turns at all, turns the same left as it does right. Infact, I need to add turn fins because it turns so hard it slides in the water. So not sure why yours does not turn left well, but maybe it is the location of the rudder??