Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Flex cable squared at both ends? >

Flex cable squared at both ends?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Flex cable squared at both ends?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex cable squared at both ends?

I am running a Forabuck 58" cat with a highly modified 50cc kawasaki engine from a backpack blower. My problem is that I keep breaking the solder joint loose when I hit the throttle at slow speeds. I am using real silver solder and it is holding so well that the cable is actually leaving some of the strands in the solder. I was wondering if anyone made a cable that is square on both ends so I could avoid soldering completely. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:54 AM

Default RE: Flex cable squared at both ends?

You can avoid soldering completely by switching over to a round collet and using a one piece welded cable (like Aeromarine's).
Old 09-30-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I just made a new one and brazed it this time. Maybe that will get me through the weekend. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Instead of solder, you can also use Locktite # 648. It "glues" the metal together and will release if you heat it up with a torch. It stands up to a qd70 without letting go! You just prep the metal like you normally do and then just use a few drops and the shaft is "glued" within 15 seconds. It's a little hard to find, but once you use it, you will never solder again! It's about $20.00 for a small bottle.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 AM

My work has a few bottles. I will give it a try. Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:43 PM

The solder is breakin gloose because the cable and ferule weren't prepared correctly. loctite from the place you work for isn't going to do the trick either unless the cable is clean , if its clean enough for loctite its clean enough for solder and you won't risk losing your job over a 20 dollar bottle of glue.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:12 PM
My Feedback: (21)

If folks read his post , they would have caught this -

I am using real silver solder and it is holding so well that the cable is actually leaving some of the strands in the solder
Rather than worry about LOCTITE , I think I would search for a tighter wound flex . OR , since you live in MN , you might want to check with a Farm/Fleet store and see where there is a place that makes custom cables ( as used in farm machinery ) And get a tighter wound 1/4 flex .
You might also be over-heating the flex which would also cause the breakage....
Old 10-01-2005, 08:16 PM

The other option is to put a collet on the engine and a square ferrule on shaft , no soldering at all.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:18 AM

I think maybe I my flex cable is too short. I brazed the ferule as a last resort and it broke loose as soon as the boat hit the water. The cable was ripped up at the joint with pieces of cable still stuck in the brazed joint. I am running a ballantine drive and there is about an 1/8 inch of prop shaft clearance. I guess I will order a welded cable and see how that goes. I will also talk to the folks at Fleet/Farm. Thanks again for all the help