Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Minimum pipe clearance >

Minimum pipe clearance

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Minimum pipe clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimum pipe clearance

Im currently building a expresscraft thunderbolt and im curious what sort of clearance do i need for the header and pipe from the fiber glass? i currently have about a 1/4 of an inch between the hatch and the header. Is this okay?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Minimum pipe clearance

1/4" may still be a little close.

It will depend in part on -

The type of pipe.
Where on the pipe you are close.
Material the pipe is made of.
Air flow through the boat.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:51 AM

its bh hanson standard aluminum pipe and the area its close to is the header all the vents on the thunderbolt are open ( the three in the front).
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would certainly keep an eye on the area. You might find it may discolor or crack after a particularly long or hard run at some point in the future.

You could add a little insulation to the point on the inside. the key with insulation is to keep it dry though (otherwise it will transfer heat). I have a few small pieces from the Shuttle (honestly) (I have both the [link=http://www.albint.com/web/albint_pub.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/SIP+Product+Sheet+4-8-03.pdf/$FILE/SIP+Product+Sheet+4-8-03.pdf]Strain Isolator[/link] Pad and [link=http://www.albint.com/web/albint_pub.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/FRSI+Product+Sheet+4-8-03.pdf/$FILE/FRSI+Product+Sheet+4-8-03.pdf]FRSI[/link] that might be up to the task. Let me know if it is of interest as I may have have a dig around to turn it up.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM

!/4" is too close, but you can go to one of your local building supply stores, and get some adhesive backed foil tape that is used for heating and air conditioning. It will reflect a lot of heat away from the glass. Just be aware, the adhesive is very agressive, and once you place it, it's THERE. Of course, the surface will have to be very clean.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 AM

i got it a little further away from the glass now its closer to 1/2 away thanks for the tips though.