Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 building a whipper snipper powered boat >

building a whipper snipper powered boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

building a whipper snipper powered boat

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a whipper snipper powered boat

hi i was wondering were i could get some plans to build a whipper snipper powered rc boat and what kind of weed wacker engines work best and how would i set up the propeller shaft to suit it
Old 01-12-2007, 03:06 AM

Default RE: building a whipper snipper powered boat

There are some plans here http://www.modelpowerboat.com/RC_Boat_Plans/

If you only want a whippersnipper engine, the best bet at the moment is to grab a 28cc Talon Whipper Snipper from Bunnings. I think the whole unit is around $120. You can then use the flex shaft out of the whipper snipper in your boat.

For the hardware, give Ken at http://www.retallickeng.com.au an email and he will help you out with some cheap gear that will suit. Just ask him for the same set-up that I got off him. He will know.

Some of the stuff like engine mounts you can make yourself out of Aluminum angle that is also available from Bunnings

Here are some photos of a whipper snipper boat I built for my Son. This used a fibreglass hull that I picked up cheap but the principle is the same http://www.mpbc-act.com/index.php?ca...3&g2_itemId=57

Here are some photos of the wooden hull build. I think these photos are of a build done by w3bby who is a member here on these forums http://www.mpbc-act.com/index.php?ca...g2_itemId=1293
Old 01-12-2007, 03:33 AM

Do a search for "plans, whipper snipper", you will be surprised how many good threads there are already!
The mother of build threads [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2402672/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]here[/link]

Those are my boat pics [sm=omg_smile.gif] would have been nice to have been asked before they are put up on another site Not even given credit [:@] It seems I now live in Canberra, wouldn't mind as I guess it's not rainy and 4 degree C there []
Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian i told you those pics were good lol looks like half the rc world has seen your boat build now pitty you dont get royalties for em hehe.i have to admit ive used your pics a few times to show people how things are done they are just so good and your workshops so much cleaner than mine you must have an engeneering background cos us wood butchers dont keep our shops that clean lol.by the way i allways give you credit for those pics its only right in my book.another thing also that build thread you gave him is agood one but isnt it a shame MR CHILLY never finnisehd the boat? thats what gets you after reading all the posts he never did get round to finnishing it oh well plenty of us have done since and looks like everyone in the rc world will own one soon maybe we should start up an international class for this boat seems to be enough of them arround lol.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 AM

do you think that the boat in these plans could fit a whipper snipper engine in it or would it sink

http://www.modelpowerboat.com/RC_Boa...2/p13_fileid/3
Old 01-12-2007, 06:03 AM

It will fit. You can scale those plans to suit your needs as well. Just enlarge or shrink them when you print.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 AM

thats the same as w3bbys boat just a diff name!!apart from that they are almost identical but you will need to raise the sides on her a little for a weedy engine.correction its the exact same one also dont bother resizing it ask w3bby he has the full size plans of it and a tiled version that will print on a4 paper with no hassle.also the pics that were linked are w3bbys boat yes the one in the plans ,by the way it isnt a wildthing it just looks like one.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 AM

what type of wood do you use for them
Old 01-12-2007, 06:52 AM

also what is a stuffing box/tube and do you have any pictures of how they are done
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 AM

marine or birch ply 1/8 for the 48 " versions.and a stuffing box is just the brass tube the flex cable fits inside all you need is to fill it with grease first and re grease after each run!!.just do a search and all will become clear it saves people answering the same questions over and over everytime a newbie wants to build a boat.you will also need a ferrule to join the flex to the stub shaft that then rides in a strut and a prop drive dog and a prop nut to hold the prop normally a 275 prather prop.also if its a square hole on the engine get a square ended cable.you can use the one that came with the motor ,the ferrule joins to the other end and fits between the transome and the strut it then acts as a coupling and stops the cable coming out of the motor and boat,and is either silver soldered onto the cable or you can use loctite retainer no 603 not to be mistaken for threadloc and it then attaches to the solid stub shaft via two grub screws.i hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:23 AM

thanks heaps for all of the help with this
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 AM

allways glad to help mate but search is a wonderfull thing too and theres hundreds of threads on your boat type and engine too.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 AM

i have done quite a few searches but you guys seem to be the most helpful
Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 AM

An FAQ would be nice, we seem to revisit the same questions again and again. A search under "whipper snipper" gave over 30 replies.
If you want A4 pdf plans send me a pm with your email adress and I will get them to you.
A few threads to visit:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4932267/anchors_4932267/mpage_1/key_whipper%252Csnipper/anchor/tm.htm#4932267]1[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4718942/anchors_4718942/mpage_1/key_woody/anchor/tm.htm#4718942]2[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2402672/anchors_2402672/mpage_1/key_woody/anchor/tm.htm#2402672]3[/link]
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 AM

i agree totally there mate it saves all the same replys been re written over again.its not that any one minds helping out at all its just that we seem to get 3 to 4 people a week asking the same questions over and over.Jacob dont think this is aimed at you as i and most of the other guys are only too happy to help but i agree maybe there should be a sticky of some kind put up to help new guys understand how to build and set up a boat from wood and how to install the engine and hardware ive seen this on other sites before.any volunteers w3bby ? .
Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: martno1fan
any volunteers w3bby ? .
Ex Royal Marine mate, rarely volunteer for anything

Earlier comments are not aimed solely at you Jacob.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM

marines ehh remind me not to get on your wrong side lol
ps i still think your workshops too clean lol.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 AM

do you think that using loctite to join the flexshaft to a ferrule will work properly without breaking or should i try to join the flexshaft directly to the stub shaft using a sleeve
Old 01-13-2007, 07:36 AM

also what is the best glue to use on the hull when making it

and w3bby do the sides of the boat in your plans need to be raised or are they good already
Old 01-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Tight fit, well cleaned and the correct Loctite, don't see why it wouldn't work, a relatively common way to do it in Europe although I think they use a deeper bore and therefore have more contact area.

ps i still think your workshops too clean lol.
See previous answer, sort of in the genes having had Sergeants, Sergeant Majors etc wandering around checking for dust! Everything shipshape (But you should see the shelf behind)
Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 AM

how much should i raise the sides of the hull
Old 01-13-2007, 09:11 AM

use the ferrule and that is put onto the flex after first cleaning it all using brake fluid!! the ferrule fastens to the stub via grub screws and file a small flat spot on the stub first to let the screws get a good grip.use epoxy for the build also slow set will be fine 3 hr stuff and uses the same stuff to coat the hull and seal it too is what i do.heres the loctite you need and yes it holds well according to w3bby and others xxxboatworks also told me this so it must be true as us brits are normally right or didnt you know lol!! just kidding .raise the sides at least half an inch id say maybe a little more .IAN i hear you lol a bit like mine when i know i got visitors coming aargg dont open that cupboard ohh s**t
[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCTITE-603-HIGH-STRENGTH-50ML-NEW_W0QQitemZ280067668886QQihZ018QQcategoryZ11774Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link][X(]
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 AM

JACOB w3bbys boat in the pics was raised a little from the plans and sits low as you may see from this pic so id say go a little more as your engine will be much heavier than a zen as will mine when i get round to building it.im toying with the idea of going 1" higherat the transome and along till i get to the last 3rd and then tapering it down to 1/2.one idea would be to go 1 " and cut a cardboard mock up side peice and put that on and see how it looks before you commit it to wood.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80063.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	596784  
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM

what size stub shaft shoult i use to fit a prather 275 prop on it

and is the diameter of the flexshaft measured on the flat sides or where it is round
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM

plans......u dont need plans just use a laundry basket, and a lawn mower blade, ask kingfish999 how to do it, lol
[quote]ORIGINAL: jacob711

hi i was wondering were i could get some plans to build a whipper snipper powered rc boat and what kind of weed wacker engines work best and how would i set up the propeller shaft to s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.