Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 50" Deep V PLUG Build & Fiberglass Mold Construction >

50" Deep V PLUG Build & Fiberglass Mold Construction

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

50" Deep V PLUG Build & Fiberglass Mold Construction

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50" Deep V PLUG Build & Fiberglass Mold Construction

OK, haven't seen any threads on specifically fiberglass molding, or plug making. A little information, but nothing detailed. For about 20 years of modeling everything from cars, trucks, airplanes and heli's, I have yet to not see a need to manufactuer my own parts at some point. Whether it be a canopy, cowling, wheel fairing, car bodies...the list goes on and on. Taking a "free" plan found form sources here, I was able to print a full size plan and the ideas for improving this design began to flow.

I'm not going to spend much time on the build of this hull commonly named the "48 Mono Hull" since there are a few specific build threads already in the works. I will show the way you can take that design, add your own personal touch, and build a fiberglass version that will outlast and outperform it's wooden counterpart. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I plan to add as many as I can. Hopefully I can inspire someone to give this a try. Something very satisifying about saying at the pond..."Yeah, I designed and built this from scratch". Here are a few images of the start of this "Project V Plug".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72215.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	915070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92452.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	915071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96005.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	915072  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Default RE: 50" Project PLUG build & Fiberglass Molding

One of the first things I did was stretch the hull out 2" on the computer. Ideas for this design will be to add a more rounded top of hull, add thickness to the rear, (you'll see!), and come up with some sort of canopy to totally enclose this boat. All together there will be three molds made.
Below is a picture of the Rio 51 canopy....Hmmm, looks good to me....maybe a few changes???

Name:	Bz77744.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	915081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47240.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	915082  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you will find plenty of us have allready made our changes from the plans and yes there are a few plugs allready out there ,will a glass version be better than the woody? i dont see why it would be to be honest [>:]

Name:	Ax73245.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	915083  
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Hull looks good...I was following your thread and that's what gave me the insiration. Is yours glass in the picture?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

will a glass version be better than the woody? i dont see why it would be to be honest [>:]
Can't make the curves and smooth transitions with wood
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi that ones not mine its a mates hes got the first edition ready for building just out of the mould today,should be on the water in a month,hes done a 48" and a 54" version.Ill keep you guys posted on his progress .Your hull looks very much like mr chillys version,ive never made a plug out of mine but good luck with it.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

will a glass version be better than the woody? i dont see why it would be to be honest [>:]
Can't make the curves and smooth transitions with wood
In your opinion i cant say i agree with that in fact i totally disagree but wood is my friend .IM currently building a Rockett hydro theres some nice curves on her i can tell you
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Not knocking wood.....Working as a high school shop teacher, I CAN"T!! This is going to be converted into a lesson plan for my kids. I am an avid woodworker myself, and I really do appreciate the beauty of what can be created with wood as it brings it's own challenges. Post a few pics of your hydro, would love to see it!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 PM

looks alot like the woody I built

Name:	Ay73861.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	915180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24123.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	915181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78189.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	915182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94561.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	915183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc38923.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	915184  
Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Dreaming HEMI you'd missed this thread![link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7254493/tm.htm[/link]
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM

This is interesting, I'm gonna keep watchin this thread. You're not alone on giving it a curved deck, a bunch of guys have done that. Did you just add 2 inches to the length or did you scale the whole boat up? Yup, unfortunately plywood doesn't like to bend in more than one direction at a time. The plug looks good so far. Doug
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Freeze, your boat looks fantastic! Nice job on the hatch.

MissHydro, Didn't miss it, it just didn't have enough detailed pictures, but the thread does have some great information...Living next to Aeromarine Laminates here in Seaford, DE, I get a lot of help from thoes experts as well.

dwr9, I know I'm not the first to attempt a curved deck and I'm sure not in first place making a plug of your boat. Thanks for the plan. Yes, I only added 2 inches to the length. As wide as this hull is, I was only going to add to that appearance with my seam. I think I may take a mold of that Rio 51 hatch, I really do like that look. Make the deck off of that. We'll see.

My business will be opening shortly so my time has to be focused on that, but I'm in no hurry to get this boat done. I'll post as progress is made. That's if there's interest in this thread.

-S
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm interested. Doug
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM

I'll take pics the next time I lay up a boat. It should help when you get to that point.

I'll also help with making the molds if I can.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Sounds good Mike, I"ll take any suggestions you can bring. This is my 1'st time with a plug this size, mostly been car bodies, small plane parts, ect. Just going to do the same thing with this. Just taking a break from cutting the strakes, and working on placement.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 AM

I have pics on my build thread mate im sure you will find it .
Mart
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: dwr9

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm interested. Doug
Doug my friend has built this boat as a 48" and 54" hull to use as plugs he no longer resides on this forum but ill keep you posted on his progress.ONE WILL BE ZEN POWERED THE OTHER A MATHE IM SURE YOU REMEMBER WHO IM TALKING ABOUT .The pic i posted is of the 48" plug i think.he allready had a 72" one from your other plans made into a glass hull i think,hes sending one to me .
Mart
Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM

Strakes installed and initial sanding and shaping complete just prior to Bondo.

Name:	Xv65153.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	915741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92054.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	915742  
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good lookin hull , good job .
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Something very satisifying about saying at the pond..."Yeah, I designed and built this from scratch". Here are a few images of the start of this "Project Plug".

Hmm, just a quick one on the quote above, while I acknowledge that you are putting together a wooden plug and then creating a mould (edit typo) from it to then produce a hull, I do not think you can honestly claim to have "designed and built this from scratch"

The design was there already, and in the public domain, what you have done is re create, it and make a copy of it.

Not intending to decry the considerable amount of work done to get the hull to where it is now, but i think the designer deserves some credit.

Glenn

Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM

What measurements/calculations did you use to place those strakes? What material did you use to create them?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 AM

Taking a "free" plan found form sources here, I was able to print a full size plan and the ideas for improving this design began to flow.
I'm not going to spend much time on the build of this hull commonly named the "48 Mono Hull" since there are a few specific build threads already in the works. I will show the way you can take that design, add your own personal touch, and build a fiberglass version Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I plan to add as many as I can. Hopefully I can inspire someone to give this a try. Something very satisifying about saying at the pond..."Yeah, I designed and built this from scratch".
You forgot to include in that origional quote the part where I mentioned plans for the hull are availible online for free??? That would be a piece of information that may have some relivance. [>:] I never mentioned that I designed this hull, and the origional designers obviously get the credit for that, but that's the only thing they get the credit for. Perhaps I needed to be more specific for you. Starting with this great pre-designed hull, I am now able to design everything else myself, from whatever I have availible. Everything from existing boats, to computer software has already been used. Since I teach shop classes in the high school system, access to CAD type programs such as "Inventor" and "Auto CAD", and "PhotoShop Pro" I am able to design whatever I want. The hull was steached 2" for starters. The origional designers of this hull left everything else out above the deck, it's perfectly flat! Which leaves everyone able to create their own hull top and canopy of their design if they choose.
Another note, the "design and built myself" comment was more directed at the actual fiberglass mold building part of the upper deck since I haven't seen a mold building thread yet, unless I missed it. I also DID note the plans were availible online in and around this site.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: nofords

What measurements/calculations did you use to place those strakes? What material did you use to create them?
I initially was going to just use 45 degree cut balsa and taper the ends, but decided to research into the strakes a little more. There is a "Donzi" boat dealership not to far from my home. Decided to check their selection out and take measurements of several their new and used boats. After finding the average lengths, starting and ending points as well as placement I headed home and grabbed some 1" stock pine from my shelf. Ripped down to square the ends and set the blades at the same angle as the hull bottom, Using a fine toothed blade, simply made cuts to shape. Once I had enough, I placed on the hull and mocked up placement according to how they were on full size boats.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 AM

One problem i see with those strakes is they end well before the transom they will only work when you first hit go ,personally id have gone right to the back with the inner ones at least.It might not be a problem but just an observation i thought id share .Good luck with it,i see no reason you cant use these plans as a starting point to then add changes to your own tastes,thats what i did when i built mine.Im sure Doug would be the first to agree.
Mart

Name:	Bz79201.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	916306  
Old 03-29-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks Mart...
That's exactly what I intended. As far as the strakes go, when I spoke to the dealership, as well as a few phone calls to Scarrab, and other fast boat manufactuers, I was pretty much told the same thing. "Strakes are there for helping lift the front end while getting up to plane, and not stability". Several of the full size racers have them stopping short of the transom. I could have made them longer, but that would go against a few "experienced" racers......whether it's wrong or right, dosen't matter much....still having fun making this thing, know what I mean Mart
I do like how yours are made, does look good going to the transom. Perhaps after I make my bottom mold, I'll alter the plug and make the strakes a little longer?!?! We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.