Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Whobbie's Magnum 57 >

Whobbie's Magnum 57

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Whobbie's Magnum 57

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whobbie's Magnum 57

I now have a AquaCraft Nitro 27 that I am going to break myself into the hobby with, because Rio wasn't available, and I wanted a boat to play with now, lol I'm already impressed and can see this will be very addicting..

I'm already planning out my next venture, but it will be one of the big gas boats I will get ready for next summer.
I have my eye on the Magnum57 from Whobbies since it is an enclosed cockpit which I like better than open. Over 57 inches, has a clutch, good motor, and options to customize.. Seems like an awesome boat, with everything RTR, and 1,165 dollars...seems to good to be true..

I may go with one of these this winter, and it would cost me over a grand to make Rio with clutch, ect ect anyways..

Are the radios good in these?... Anyone here have a Magnum 57?.. good boat?...

Thanks a lot..

And yeah.. I know I ask a lot of questions..
Old 07-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Whobbie's Magnum 57

I have seen one run and have run one myself and I have an older WWH boat and I must say they are both awesome.
The Manta Ray likes a little chop on the water to run at full speed.
But it also handles awesome and will turn crazy fast.
THe Man o War is an all out speed type boat and the Team pro is also a good choice.
Pretty much any boat from WWH is good
The radio they come with is ok but I would reccomend a better one in the future but for getting in the water fast you can't beat these boats RTR
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Yes they are good boats if you want to have fun.A friend of mine has one with a 35 Mathe that he lets me drive and the boat loves a little chop.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM

yes it does
If you are looking for something else keep trying WWH and talk to tony he will hook you up.
Or you can call there and talk to Mike
He is helpfull also
Old 07-14-2008, 05:34 AM

I have a Mag 57 and it runs strong and really never breaks. I can't find a weak point about the boat. My buddy and I ran the 57 from in his Sea Ray side by side for about 12 miles non stop. We had no problem with anything.(hdw.,engine etc.) The boat is stable even in choppy, windy conditions. Tony's M5 mod really pushes it nicely to around 45 to 48 mph. In a nut shell,very reliable,and great support from WHHs.

pyro1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRTC5q4Vd8U
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86126.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	990250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70401.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	990251  
Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM

where are you guys running you plane boards at on each side.
I am trying to tune my Revenge to run a bit faster but I don't want to tip the drive up too much more I think the trim tabs or plane boards which ever you want to call them are keepin it in the water a bit to much.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm running the tabs all the way up. By moving the drive too high you will kick out a good roost but loose speed. About +2 deg. on the drive is about the limit with the Mag 57. The boat has dual rudders so this causes drag too. You can pull the bottom of the rudders out away from the transon an inch or so to have less drag and bring the bow up. Less wetted surface means more speed on these large hulls.

Pyro1
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM

O.P. Keep an eye out for a scratch dent rio. you can get them for $200 without the engine if you don't mind waiting a little.

Personally, I own a Magnum 57 and love it. I had some propwalk problems but once that was taken care of it handles like it's on rails.
I need to get a clutch for it though - it idles around at like 15-20 mph!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM

WWHobbies makes a killer clutch set up with the grease nose cone.
Give it a try mine has it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: engineerjoe

O.P. Keep an eye out for a scratch dent rio. you can get them for $200 without the engine if you don't mind waiting a little.

Personally, I own a Magnum 57 and love it. I had some propwalk problems but once that was taken care of it handles like it's on rails.
What was the reason for your prop walk problems?Actually the one my friend has i built for him a few years back and it still runs strong...and with a Mathe 35 in it never had a problem with prop walk from day one.Runs 58-60 mph with race trim set-up all day even though he doesnt race it.

I wouldnt waste my money on a Rio...WHH is a better quality boat alltogether,no matter what parts you try to compare off the two!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:03 PM

WHH is by far a better boat there is no doubting that.
My old Revenge likes to porpous or nose hopp and walks a little in fast turns but from what I am seeing here these boats are either fast in a straight line or turn good.
Its hard to tune that happy medium
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM

My Mag 57 loves the rough water, but you have to watch the speed in the really big stuff. For our event, the NW RC Offshore Championship in September my Mag 57 is my rough water boat, and I have a Bonzi Baja set up for smooth water conditions..........
http://nwrcoffshorechamp.com
Mag57 is tough also........

Name:	Sq48411.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	992528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58030.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	992529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88593.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	992530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93484.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	992531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46355.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	992532  
Old 07-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Did it survive that crash?
That looks awesome
I have new wall paper for the computer
Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Only a small amount of cracking at the front of the hatch/cowl where it meets the hull, mostly gell coat superficial stuff............
Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM

I have the one of the boat out of the water on my computer
I like that boat also
How are they stock?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: SS RC Boats

What was the reason for your prop walk problems?Actually the one my friend has i built for him a few years back and it still runs strong...and with a Mathe 35 in it never had a problem with prop walk from day one.Runs 58-60 mph with race trim set-up all day even though he doesnt race it.

I wouldnt waste my money on a Rio...WHH is a better quality boat alltogether,no matter what parts you try to compare off the two!
yeah, I have a supervee nitro that I just got in the mail, and I like it a lot.. have not run it yet, but I went through everything to make sure it was tight.

I'll start out with the supervee, and save my money for a bigger gasser for next year.. I do like the looks of the Rio better than the Mag57, but all the stuff like the Zen motor, clutch, and the more realistic looking drive units all appeal to me with the mag57.
I'm going for realism rather than pure racing, so the clutch is a must... I want to show off by coming to shore and let it stop, then throttle up and show people what it can do.. I'm not concerned about top speed, and I'm sure I could do other mods that can make it fast if I feel I want to go faster.

Yes... I'm going to save to buy a WHH boat or simular.. I also like the Enforcer, and the manta Ray.. Seriously... I think I'm going to get addicted to RC boats now, lol.. I've been involved with airplanes for so long and just started out with helicopters and now boats.. I think I'll just use the boating aspect of my hobbies as relaxation, just something to take to camp and play around with. Out in the sun and water with people watching plus having fun... it all makes me excited...

(Eric)
Old 07-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Eric go with the WHH boat you will like it.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

Eric go with the WHH boat you will like it.
I'm actually going to get just the hull later on this summer.. I like how they sell in stages, bare hull to complete. Getting the bare hull will let me choose the radio I want to put in... and maybe a bigger motor plus I like building anyways and I'll know what is in my boat if I'm the one putting it in, lol.. Maybe even a custom paint job...

Yeah...I like the bare hull idea..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

I bought a boat off ebay and ended up redoing the entire thing anyways.

Name:	Mk26469.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	994392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35225.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	994393  
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: SS RC Boats

I never did find out the REAL reason for the propwalk. I changed to a new hardware setup and a 3 blade prop and it made it managable. I think it was just the balance of the boat with the hardware I had. It still "hooks" a little when full throttle coming out of the turns but I learned to control it.

Again, I love it and it's a great boat - I definitely reccomend it.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Always loved that hull. Kind of wish Tony would redo the cowling a little. The rear section especially. No doubt I'm a true fan of WHH products and am on my fourth hull from them in over eight years.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:17 PM

are you talking about my revenge?
The hull is nice and I like it alot aftr running it a while.
I am having issues with it bouncing or porpousing in the front right now but I hate to adjust the drive down cause then I lose speed.
I am going to have it out again later this week to test and tune those trim tabs a bit.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:32 AM
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

are you talking about my revenge?
Nah. Speaking in reference to the MantaRay & '57. Your boat has character.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Everybody that see's my boat loves it
I am a bigger fan of the Team Pro but my boat is doing the trick right now.
It runs awesome for an older boat and for how much I get to run it
I like it alot
Glad to hear another person say it is cool
I have put a ton of time into getting it to run the next step is to super clean it and buff the top up really nice.