Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Newbie needs alot of help!! >

Newbie needs alot of help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Newbie needs alot of help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie needs alot of help!!

Hey guys, I'm a newbie in the world of building boats and I need some help. I would greatly appreciate any tips given. I need help with the basics I guess you can say. My main objective is that I would like to build a boat big enough to run in a salt water harbor. The water gets choppy sometimes so I need something that can stand up to that. Also I would like a decently fast boat, who doesn't love speed . Would anyone have any reccomendations about the ideal size. Basically I would like advice on the following:
~size
~something that would be usable in salt water, and choppy water.
~range.

Any comments would be great thanks
The following users liked this post:
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie needs alot of help!!

normally deep vee's are the most stable. i have a supervee 27 and it is not that stable, so try to go for maybe a 32-35 inch.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 PM

How much can you spend?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Have you gone potatoes, potatoes? This is the "GAS" boat forum. And your advice on 32"-35"...well that's a little small. Most of the gas boats you read about are atleast 45" long. No matter what style boat you go with, running in salt water requires some additional upkeep. If you're running in an area that has unpredictable water conditions, a vee hull may be a better fit. I've seen both Vee and Cat styles tackle some decent size chop. However, I myself am a fan of the cats. It really comes down to what style do you wanna rock in the harbor. I would however steer you away from a rigger or hydroplane, as these are suited for calm waters, and right turns only. Happy hunting!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM

This is going to mostly be a long term project so I'll be spending as I go. Slowly. I want to do this right so I rather take a longer time and spend money on the proper equipment rather than set myself to a certain limit so I can finish this quickly which may end up with a result of a poorly working boat.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Get yourself an AC Lazer or Razor if you like a mono, otherwise a AC Blastcat if you like catamaran. These will handle the rough water than most if not all, and they are built tough for racing condition. If you find as much as a buble in the gelcoat, you will get a replacement. How's that for quality? Only thing with running in salt water is the extra attention you will spend on maintaining the boat after running. You'll have to rinse the outside of the boat, unhook the water line and run fresh water through the watercooled head... basically keep all trace of salt away when the boat is in storage.
As fas as radio equipment goes, a good FM radio in the $150-$250 range will be good enough(JR, Futaba...). A Futaba 3PK with 2.4 FASST system is arguably the best. Stay away from Spektrum although somepeople swear by it but the vast majority had problems, it just doesn't go well with boat. For engine, I'll go with a Zenoah 260. These are quality proven engines, and there are a lot of good engine modders out there to give "a little boost of power" when needed.
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM
My Feedback: (2)

hi dave. i am fairly new to the rc boat addiction toooo. it is a lot of fun,be ready to spend a little more for parts as compared to cars or airplanes because you only haft to buy them once. i have just bought a 54" deep vee glass hull and put a homelite 26cc motor in it and will jump the wakes of full size boats{jon boats that is} and it seems to have no problems yet. on the other hand i have had a little trouble with the drive system, as in the flex shaft comming apart. in your quest i would look for these features in a boat. hull thickness,sqaure drive cable, quality of motor, a clutch for safety, surface drive, water cooled head, rudder not inline with prop although it has save me from loseing my prop more than once, and a dam good radio box because i have done submerged mine twice. i hope this will help. AND FOR ANY ADVISE THESE GUYS ON RCU HAVE BEEN THE MOST HELP OF ALL . they have give me the best support of all.
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Hey Dave, welcome to the forums,your (LUCKILY) located in an area where boating is dominant,both full-size and R/C,do a search thru namba districts (I think your in #8) to affiliate yourself with a club,visit and partake in their outings and see what others are runnin for you to get an idea of what you want,and the after-run maintenance involved, who knows, someone might have somthin for sale ready to go within your price range,and you can get your feet wet quicker than you think...Good Luck... here's a link to the namba page with some contact info... http://www.namba.com/content/showdis...t=8&Contact=21
Old 10-22-2021, 03:59 AM

Sorry responding to old post, question is I am a newby and I purchase 45” deep vee hull plans. Planning to use homelite 26cc engine with clutch. Trying to decide what prop to start with, do you have any recommendations.

wood hull
weed wacker engine
45.5. “
13.5”
mono hull

john
Old 10-22-2021, 02:45 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would talk to Mark Sholund at Props-4-U. This guy knows props and does fantastic prep work on same. His website is:
https://props4u.net/