Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 I just can't start my black 55 with a zenoah 26, please help!! >

I just can't start my black 55 with a zenoah 26, please help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

I just can't start my black 55 with a zenoah 26, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just can't start my black 55 with a zenoah 26, please help!!

Hello everyone,
I would really appreciate it, if someone can give me some advice on my blackjack55. I'm not new to gas( own 2 hpi baja 5b) but new to gas boats. I consulted w/ horizon hobby tech. dept. and even with the factory setting high @ 1 3/8 low @ 1 1/4 I can't seem to get my blackjack 55 started. I checked for spark against the header and the spark is there but she will not fire up. I'm using 87 octane with 1:25 ratio same as my 26cc hpi baja gas motor. Any advice will be a big help... I don't want to get out of the boat thing this quickily especially after spending $1000 on this kit, but these zenoah gas motor are just to sensitive... PLEASE HELP[][]
Old 07-13-2008, 04:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I just can't start my black 55 with a zenoah 26, please help!!

Hi mate first i think your needle settings are a little out try to start at 2 on low 2 on high then that should get it started the high can then be moved in a bit at a time till your happy .To start her choke her either with choke or finger depending what carb yoiu have,make one very slow pull you might hear a pop once thats done one short emphasis on short sharp pull with throttle set at 1/4 open and she should start,dont forget you need water running through the head etc so you dont cook it if your doing this on land.Then the real fun starts as you will need to run her and tune on the water to get her running propperly.My best settings with stock zen and stock carb were 1 3/4 low 1-1 1/8 high
Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It might be flooded as well . See if your plug is wet .
Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM

your needles should equal 3 turns, ether 2 low and 1 high or go 1.5 on each. Starting fresh, put your finger in the carb to choke it, pull it over slowly and check your finger each time, as soon as your finger has fuel on it leave it out, pull it over with the throttle open about 1/4 until it starts. If it has one of those stupid idle screws in it take it out and throw it in the lake, idle should be set on your TX. Car engines and boat engines start exactly the same, the only difference is the stupid idle screw, no need for it on a boat!
if you think you may have flooded it take the plug out, turn it upside down and pull it over about 10 times, put plug back in and start at the top.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Did you check is the killswitch is on or off. On my shockwave 55 i always make sure the kill switch is on. Also close the choke and then try to start it.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 AM

thank you everyone, for the replies, I will try all your suggestions, I will post the results today... I just want to get her to start, I can handle the tuning... thanks again
Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 PM

well I tried everything and I still can't get her to fire, I've tried it all h@1 l@2, both 2 out, and factory setting, she still won't fire... I know it not flood because I clear it each time. and checked for spark..I did manage to fire it up once but after 15-20 pull.. then it went dead again.. any suggestion would be appreiated
Old 07-13-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pour some mixed fuel (about 2 tablespoons)straight into the cyl./spark plug hole,if it fires,and just burns this "prime",you have fuel delivery problems....check your vent in the cap,all the way to carb...... [8D]
Old 08-03-2008, 12:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

i had to send my first blackjack back to horizen because it would not start. they replaced it.

priceless!
Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so does this one start??? [:-]
Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM

The only thing I can think of that has not yet been suggested is fresh fuel.
Good Luck with it.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

your carb is 644 so left it on the the factory setting high @ 1 3/8 low @ 1 1/4, here is a troubleshooting guide for your zenoah 260 on #10.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...ine_Manual.pdf
Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM

I would change the plug just because it's a new engine does not mean that the plug will work.
I have seen brand new plugs not work here and there.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

I would change the plug just because it's a new engine does not mean that the plug will work.
I have seen brand new plugs not work here and there.
Ditto to what Monster just said. I got one 5 min run at the lake yesterday before I brought my Apache back in to check the cooling temps. I then spent the next three hours trying to start her up again. Did everything I could think of including all the suggestions listed above and no luck. Got home put in a new plug and she fired up on the fist pull. The old plug looked great and showed spark. Lesson learned keep a spare plug in your field box.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM

sorry everyone for not replying earlier! The end result was, I sent the motor back to horizon and they replaced it. Yeah, that was cool, but upsetting I didn't get to play with it on my yearly family trip to the lake. But on the bright side, I got a new cyl, piston, rings. And now the boat fires up fine... Thanks again everyone for your input... I just posted a new tread about the new venom boats. Please reply if you guys have any reviews...