Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 header pipe stay loose >

header pipe stay loose

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

header pipe stay loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header pipe stay loose

i need some help please.[:@] my header unit on the sikk came loose every time after 10min off racing.[:'(] is there a loctite with high temp what i can use on the bolts. what else can i do to keep them intackt. what gassget paper can i use to make exhaust gassgets for the sikk. this is the pipe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81953.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	993965  
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: header pipe stay loose

I would ensure you are using the correct bolts for the threads. Also be sure you are using bolts that use as much of the thread as possible (but dont go long).
I dont know of any high temperature loctite. Silicon will often help keep bolts from backing out but I would opt for one of the following
1 use split washers/lock washers.
and or
2 drill a small hole through the head of the bolts and tie the two together with wire threaded through each. They wont back out without cutting the wire.

For gaskets I have always used a thin film of high temp silicon that is allowed to cure on each surface.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:48 AM

i think that some guys use a water cooled flange thing that goes between the engine and pipe to stop canister mufflers coming loose and i'd imagine it would work for your setup too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arrow-Shark-2...742.m153.l1262
Old 07-20-2008, 06:59 AM

How much for one of those pipes?
Locktite blue, put it on the night before, the key is to give it plenty of time to dry before running the boat.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Yolanda, the pipes in the picture you have posted are not for the SIKK engine. Those are Zenoah specific. Where did you buy your pipe? There has only ever been one SIKK prototype exhaust manufactured, so i am interested how your boat is working with one of those zenoah exhausts. The SIKK prototype is a completely different specification and shape.

The reason i am saying this, is the picture has been taken off my company's web site and we manufacture the exhausts. www.cokerraceproducts.com
Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM

i bought the pipe from a guy at our clubb. the first one he brought me was for the zenoah, because the sikk got differend timeing i didnt even try it. he brought me another one which is a little bit smaller in the middle section this one even say's sikk on it with a date. the motor is running fine with it but i have not compare it with other pipes. one or two faults on the pipe; i did try every way to secure the header to the motor but it loosens itself every time i run it. from wire lock to lock washers you name it i try it no joy[:@] we did modified it a bit adding a water cooling unit to it, so far it holds. second problem my hatch dont fitt. [].if you can maybe you should think of making a cooling header for this pipe. aslong as the pipe is intacked i do have plenty of torgue but only for a few moments. the pipe is working but some small changes can make this a exellent pipe. a friend is running a zenoah motor with the zenoah pipe with same problem. i do hope you dont stop now please let me know if i can help.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 AM

Hi Yolanda, Yes the SIKK Prototype was one of five prototypes that we manufactured. We only supplied the first one.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 AM

Graham

Why is the RC pipes not on your website anymore? Are you not persuing the design any further?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 AM

di you want to test the other pipes aswell
Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 AM

The problem with this tuned pipe is simple and someone already mentioned it. The header is fixed directly to the motor with no flexibility at that point. It will never work and will loosen the bolts in minutes no matter what kind of loctite /epoxy is used on the bolts. In fact you will be lucky if it doesnt break the cylinder at the exhaust stub. Using harder engine mount rubbers is not the answer. The answer is a flexible joint at the exhaust flange which is normally used on marine motors and watercooled too. Buy yourself a watercooled flange, cut off the existing pipe flange and weld/braze a suitable round flange on there after fitting the aluminum cooling part over the header. No brainer. I am saying nothing bad about the pipe itself or the manufacturer but for sure this has not been tested on a boat motor or the problem would have been spotted immediately.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 AM

And when a man of Dave Marles status says so you listen. He has seen and done it all. Dave nice to see you follow all info on boating. What you suggest we have already done to Yolanda's boat's header and it seems to have done the trick. Had to tap the holes t 6mm as the constant coming loose had destroyed the 5mm thread.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 AM

HALLO DAVE. we did the mod with a water cooling unit and so far no problems. i raced saturday more then 2lt off fuel and all is still inplace.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 AM

ORIGINAL: yolanda

HALLO DAVE. we did the mod with a water cooling unit and so far no problems. i raced saturday more then 2lt off fuel and all is still inplace.
Your friend should take the credit, he figured out the cure before me. Long term you will probably need even more flexibility in the system to stop the front part of the pipe cracking but you can only run it now and see what the life is with the existing modification.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 AM

HALLO DAVE. THIS IS THE MOD WE DID ON MY HEADER UNIT AND SO FAR SO GOOD
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2008, 03:19 PM

Hello Yolanda,

I have tested the pipe for Graham.
This pipe is only for the Zenoha engine.
You have mounted a water cooled exhaust block between the exhaust and cylinder and this will help the Zikk engine I think because the exhaust timing is different from the Zenoah.
As far as I have tested the exhausts who have been manufactured by Graham the first pipes he had made where a little to long.
This pipes have never been sold.
So if you would like a good pipe buy the specific pipe for the Zikk engine from Graham.
I think it will improve your engine a lot.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:28 PM

mine did the same thing. cure red loctite rubber motor mount on the stinger part of the pipe. and i made a paper gasket from gasket paper bought at advanced auto store.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35071.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1096451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32617.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1096452  
Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 PM

stuch are thos still the Sikk rubbers on the motor mount? The Sikk ones are way too soft.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:02 PM

nope topsecert
Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 AM

[8D] cool [8D]
Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Mike, we use rubber mounts manufactured by one of the rubber molding companies in South Africa. They make many diferent rubber mounts, but generally these mounts are stiffer than the cheap mounts supplied with the boats from the east. I am sure you must have a supplier or manufacturer in your area that supplies various rubber moulded products that could supply something suitable.