Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Rio 51, The saga continues......poorly >

Rio 51, The saga continues......poorly

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio 51, The saga continues......poorly

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rio 51, The saga continues......poorly

Ok, Im sure many of you are getting tired of my posts and questions reguarding the Rio 51, but its my one way to vent before I get to the point so smashing it and sticking to my RC cars that I never have problems with. The story so far is that I haven't been able to start the engine, not even a few pops, its DOA. Thankfully, some very kind person of this forum is sending me their old on (which has never been used) , that he pulled from his boat. So today, just for the fun of it, I took it to a small engine mechanic to see if he could have better luck than me. After about an hour and a half, he came to the conclusion the carb was no good, their isnt enough gas getting to the motor i'm told. Even setting the needles to the richest setting before they fall right out, its still not getting fuel. Well now I know whats wrong with it, and with my new engine on its way, im wasn't that concerned. UNTIL.... thats when the mechanic pointed out to me that the header was cracked off the flange! This hasn't even seen 1 drop of water, and the header is pooched. It broke from just trying to get this thing running! I just shake my head, and leave the shop, wasted $30.00 for him to tell me the boats crap. So I go home, look up the number in the manual and call some place called Hobbico. Im not sure if this is actually a division of Aquacraft, or just some place that they outsource their tech help to, but I didnt get any help from them what so ever. I read from other postings that the tech help they got was amazing, that the techs were sympathetic or appologetic about their problems with the Rio 51, but the 2 I dealt with were not in the slightest. I told them about the engine, they tried to convince me to send in the whole boat (which after the call I found out to be about $125.00 as I live in Canada) I told them I'd pull it out and send just the engine. I also said I have another Fuji motor coming soon, and told him the story of the header, again I was told to send it in before they could send one back to me (Aprox 2 weeks turn around with crossing the border twice) I then asked about the new updated header, and I was told that they didnt have any, so they'd send me the old style. I questioned that, and he said if the new one breaks, to send it back in and hopefully by then they'd have stock to the new improved one. From reading the other posts, it seems as if they had their parts sent with out any hesitation, or need to pre ship the broken parts before new ones are sent back. It looks like, even with a new motor given to me by a forum member (thanx again) it will be over a month since purchase of the boat before it might have a chance to be used. And then after that, who knows how long that will last as they will be sending me out one of the sub-standard headers. Id really like to get Grimracers opinion about this. I'd like to think I have been very patient about this, but having to wait over a month, and wasting 1/3 of the waretee while it sits on my shelf is getting me to my breaking point. Im sure many people will say to scarp the engine and exhaust and go with a Zen, and Id like too, but I can't and dont want to dump another $300-$400 for something that is suppose to be RTR. With the origional cost of $750 plust $400 for a Zen, i could have purchased a boat from WHH, which I almost wish I had after all this. Maybe i'll just go get a broom stick, and a pillowcase, drill a hole in the top of the hull and make a sail boat out of it.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Default RE: Rio 51, The saga continues......poorly

that's why a guy tested his engine on the platform first before heading to the lake, go with the Zen 260.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6172094/tm.htm

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
My Feedback: (149)

Thats hobby shop boats for ya, The company can't say nothing bad about their product till they run across a problem like yours , then they take a lunch or go on vacation so they don't have to deal w/it. I thought serious about buying one of them Pro Boats till I read these forums. I'am more than glad now I dropped the x-tra buck-age & got a custom. Sorry to hear 'bout your luck "Bro...."Dogg"
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM

you should't have to when they say RTR that meens RTR not pulling your hair out
you should not have to do a test run out of the water I know some do but you shound't
that's my 2cent's
Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM

The reason why WHHobbies is so popular
They have awesome boats and the Gator standard air cooled model is awesome to start with.
www.warehousehobbies.com
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your luck. That's why I only buy proven products from reputable dealers only, whatever it might be. I learned my lesson, fortunately it didn't cost me as much.
Too many people are willing to drop money to be the first one to have "IT". But the even bigger problem is these mass-produced boats with knock off engines coming from all kind of dealers under different names. They always have an excuse for splashing whatever and willing to say whatever it takes(be it speed, quality...) just so they can get some inexperienced people to buy their products. Until too many people find out it's a POS.
For quality purpose, check out JRCBD. 99% of them are race boats but you can still have a lot of fun. All the boats I got over there will blow away all these so-called race boats. And they are cheaper too if you're patient. You can get one for 8-900 with good hulls and good engines and still 20MPH faster than these. Easy choice for me.
I'm done venting. Hope it all work out for you.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: tmt32mj

Sorry to hear about your luck. That's why I only buy proven products from reputable dealers only, whatever it might be. I learned my lesson, fortunately it didn't cost me as much.
Too many people are willing to drop money to be the first one to have "IT". But the even bigger problem is these mass-produced boats with knock off engines coming from all kind of dealers under different names. They always have an excuse for splashing whatever and willing to say whatever it takes(be it speed, quality...) just so they can get some inexperienced people to buy their products. Until too many people find out it's a POS.
For quality purpose, check out JRCBD. 99% of them are race boats but you can still have a lot of fun. All the boats I got over there will blow away all these so-called race boats. And they are cheaper too if you're patient. You can get one for 8-900 with good hulls and good engines and still 20MPH faster than these. Easy choice for me.
I'm done venting. Hope it all work out for you.
Wise man speaking WISE words
Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 AM

If That happen to me ... I would have done "vented" the hobby stores front glass window!!!! RTR .... READY TO RETALIATE!!!!! LOL
Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Actually this dumbass noob is still trying to learn his lessons. 2 down, 1 million more to go.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:36 AM
My Feedback: (48)

You get what you pay for.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but sometimes the bling othe outside overshadows the truth beneth.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:40 AM

Thats shakesphere....!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 AM

There are a few issues with the boat, however most of these problems you're having could possibly be solved with a new carb sounds like. If a qualified mechanic said to you there was a lack of fuel delivery, which if you read the long post of the Rio, I had the same problem. Instead of wasting and month and $150 dollars, why don't you just buy a new carb for $30 to $40? Makes more sence to me.....I had a bad air leak on my stock carb. The butterfly wasn't set right....not Aquacrafts fault, its a Walbro carb....and it never wsa able to close enough...made it very difficult to start. I replaced with a different design...a 257 and starting was easy immediately. Try removing your carb, hold up to a light, look through the port with your butterfly all the way closed and see if theres any light showing through. I would place money that it is.
As far as your header, the first run were only soldered together and the newer updated one is welded. PM me your address, I still may have my old (updated, welded) header that I'll give to you.

Good luck!

-Scott
Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM

Bad luck there bud, I know how it is, it seems to all work out in the end, just sucks that you always have to wait for it to get sorted. I find it very nice to see others helping you out like this, we need more people like this in the world! I don't have a Rio but it is a nice boat and still may get one some day. Try the carb on the new motor you are getting and slap on the header Hemi will send you and you should be rockin! What carb # is the stock one?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Shame the mechanic did not tell you what was wrong with the carb, did he take it apart? I would almost like to get my hands on it and tear it down!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Brand new Walbro 257 carb for $22 shipped over at JRCBD. And that's the regular price, not on-sale price.
If you want to try a 644, PM me and I'll send you one. I have a few laying around.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Yes, there are alot of very helpful people on this forum, I can not stress that enough! The mechanic didnt want to open it up because we thought it may void the warantee, so we left it. The current carb on it now is a Walbro WT822. Will all WT series carbs work on this thing, or are some better performance that others? The 822 has the primer bulb and choke, and if Im not mistaken, the WT257 doesnt have either of those, but im not a 100% sure.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM

644 or 257 is what I would use, they are the same but the 257 does not have a primer bulb or chock, 644 would be the way to go. IMO
Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Skiddz666

Yes, there are alot of very helpful people on this forum, I can not stress that enough! The mechanic didnt want to open it up because we thought it may void the warantee, so we left it. The current carb on it now is a Walbro WT822. Will all WT series carbs work on this thing, or are some better performance that others? The 822 has the primer bulb and choke, and if Im not mistaken, the WT257 doesnt have either of those, but im not a 100% sure.
The 257 does not have a primer or choke....trust me, you DONT NEED IT! Just simply cap off one of your lines coming from the stock Rio tank. To prime, just hold your finger over the carb inlet, give a few quick pulls untill your finger is wet with gas. Thats all! Your ready to run.

Let me know about your header....I'll dig for it this afternoon for you.

Oh, I also have a few carbs (644's) that came with different Zens I've purchased I could offer to you with the header.
I just want you to see how fun this hobby and your Rio really is.

-Scott
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM

Yeap, that is how you do it with the 257, easy!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:25 PM

I have 2 spare pipes and headers also if you need one ill send it to you let me know