Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 apache 50 setup >

apache 50 setup

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

apache 50 setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default apache 50 setup

i have an apache 50 with bz-1. from idle to full speed it wants to roll over clockwise. aeromarine laminates running gear. original setup 1" below transom with rmb 275 aluminum prop. trim plates not adjustable. please advise
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Default RE: apache 50 setup

If you post some pics of the engine bay and the back of the boat so we can see the rudder and strut set up it will give us a better idea of what you have done.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM

i was now looking for some help with my boat because i have the same exact prob . I am running a stock zen 26 with a 275 prop and inline rudder ,got trim tabs and turn finsbut when u nail the gas the baot just twists clockwise. If the flex shaft comes out dead center of the back of the boat will that cause this tohappe ,reason i asked i have been reading that most people have their shafts offset to the right what is the reason for this? i am new so please bear with me i did not actually bulid the boat just did some uprades it originally came with a weedy engine any help would great thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that could be the reason ,you can shim the strut over a tad so its aimed slightly to the left which will help also make sure your prop is sharp and balanced.Best thing to do would be to remove the shaft and tube redrill off centre then rienstall i just use silicone to hold the tube at the transom so its not a big job.Its the torque of the motor and prop walk thats causing the veering right offsetting the whole drive to the right by 1/4" overcomes this,as does shimming the strut or drive.
Mart
Old 08-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Ok will try shimming the strut , not too keen on drilling up the boat yet .So looking at the rear of the boat the strut should be shimmed to aim slightly left instead of dead straight correct ?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

can your rudder horn fit a 1/4" thick speedmaster tapered blade? that type of blade would correct the tracking issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: highredoctane

Ok will try shimming the strut , not too keen on drilling up the boat yet .So looking at the rear of the boat the strut should be shimmed to aim slightly left instead of dead straight correct ?
Correct so its trying to push the boat left a touch which will overcome the veering right issue,cpl of washers will do the trick one for each bolt.
Mart
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM

guys what i am experiencing is more of a clockwise twist than a veer , if you looking at the boat from the rear it gives u clockwise twist a really bad twist when u nail the gas , dont know if it's the same thing?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 PM

I think what you are experiencing is called Torque Roll.

1. My best guess would be your Prop. A sharp prop will reduce this somewhat.
2. Second guess would be your motor mount is not flexing enough to absorb some of the torque.

Your never going to get rid of completly it at take-off or when transition in speed.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM

ok so does anyone have pics of the rear of the boat so i can have an idea of how to set up the rear of mine thanks that is where the shaft comes out the back thanks again
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM

guys what i am experiencing is more of a clockwise twist than a veer , if you looking at the boat from the rear it gives u clockwise twist a really bad twist when u nail the gas , dont know if it's the same thing?

How deep is your prop?

A better way to explain, where is the centreline of your shaft measured from the tip of the vee?

Glenn
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

dead center, well the shaft is dead center and hight wise it is right at the bottom of the boat with about 3mm between the tip of the v and the shaft.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM

ok so does anyone have pics of the rear of the boat so i can have an idea of how to set up the rear of mine thanks that is where the shaft comes out the back thanks again
Here you go mate.
[link]http://www.americanrcboats.com/howto/buildguide/buildguide.htm[/link]
Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 AM

If those markings on the back of that hull are correct then i got work to do [] thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Best way is to open up the hole you allready have to the right a touch with a round file or dremel then install the tube again and use silicone sealant to seal the hole back up its that simple ,so long as the tube is held firm at the motor end via a glassed in next diam up tube or a tube holder home made or a t bar the strut or drive will hold the other end ,the silicone is just to seal up the hole and allow for up and down adjustments etc.I make all my tube exits a slot to allow adjustments the last thing you want is a hole thats a snug fit as it wont allow for any movement to adjust things up and down.
Mart
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Ok will try that thanks[8D]