Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Cooling line routing with 2 pickups >

Cooling line routing with 2 pickups

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Cooling line routing with 2 pickups

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling line routing with 2 pickups

After 2 years finally ran the woody I built for a minute and a half. Brought it back in and wasn't sure if there was any water circulating.

So Im unsure of my cooling line routing. I have two rudders with pickups. One feeds the head and exits out the back. The other feeds the exhaust flange and exits out the wet pipe.

Is this proper? I think I want to add pumps as well just for that extra peice of mind. Would I use one pump or two and would I drill and tap for one barb with a tee'd pulse line or two barbs with individual pulse lines?

My zenoah 26 is clutchless so Without pumps how fast should you have to run the boat to get water through the rudder pickups?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Default RE: Cooling line routing with 2 pickups

If there is no clutch a pump isn't going to give you more water actually it would likely be less because now it has to push through the pumps too. Just keep it at 10 mph approx. minimum speed and if the pickups are working you should have plenty of water. You should have the outlets where you can do a slow drive by and see it coming out. I know one is going in the pipe so you should be able to see all that coming out the exhaust. Is it overheating and loosiing power? Any pictures of your setup? Are you using extra large silicone line?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Not overheating neccesarily. Just didn't run it long enough to tell. Should the head be warm to touch? I read about oversized line and think I might do that.

Is the routing ok?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: onehot69stepside

Not overheating neccesarily. Just didn't run it long enough to tell. Should the head be warm to touch? I read about oversized line and think I might do that.

Is the routing ok?
The head should ideally be warm (or fairly hot) to the touch. If you ran it fairly fast for a minute and a half, and could touch the head when it came in, then I'd hazard a well educated guess that you have some cooling flow going through the head.

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like you actually have a problem - the waterpumps are for boats with clutches as they work when boat is sitting in water idling - because boat is not moving no flow. If you have no clutch your boat is always moving so should always have water flow - no need for pump.
If you want to see what it's actually running for temp go online or to hobby shop and look for infared temp sensor (small device you point at objects and tell you temp) mine was about 20.00 (Traxxas brand) at local hobby shop.
Make sure your flow intowaterjacket comes into lowest fitting and out highest fitting on water jacket - avoids air pockets or bubbles
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM

Also post a pictur of your water inlets on the rudder. some rudders need the inlet filed out to the front of the blade to work more efficiently. I know the RCMK rudders are like this from experience.