Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 homelite ?'s >

homelite ?'s

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

homelite ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelite ?'s

i have a homelite engine. i think its 25cc? its runs. just finished painting my easyvee. wondering if i should jus throw the homelite in there or save for a zenoah. i kind of wanna see how far i can take the homelite. i have motor building experience. i modified a 49cc pocket bike by port matching the exhaust and other mods. also built a few honda engines. turbo cars etc. wondering also what all has been done to the homelites as far as modification? high compression,porting, coating, etc
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Default RE: homelite ?'s

Its has been done and no matter how modified the homie is it still wont be as good as a stock Zanoah. Your easyvee is worthy of the Zen.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:14 PM
My Feedback: (3)

zen it up man!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 PM

im convinced to zen it up bro. im goin for that old school speed boat type of theme. what mods can you do to a zen? i love forced induction. iv built a couple turbo motors. is it possible to turbo a 2 stroke? or maybe a small shot of nitrous. i really want to push a zenoah to its limits. maybe try for 8-10 hp if possible. im thinking of doing a ported head with a high compression coated piston with a small shot of nitrous. is this even possible?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 PM

im going to run all zipp kits harware. perhaps i could get a package deal? i dont really care about a clutch. i know i could run a blow threw setup on the carb to do a turbo setup. even a watercooled intercooler. i just dont know if i could find a turbo small enough. also would have to find a way to lubricate the bearings in the turbo. nitrous would be easier but im not sure about the jet size for the shot. does any know of any setups in boats that are just outrageous as far as what im talking about?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7O9a9KBKfk
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are plenty of turbo 2 strokes out there (GM has made millions) - but when looking at a zenoah the dynamics are very unrealistic - just too small to work - same with bolt on superchargers.

NOS is also a waste when it comes to usable performance - you will ruin plenty of good motors down that road.

The tried and tested supercharger used in the hobby is a tuned pipe. Significant performance can be achieved with internal motor modifications (along with the pipe) - dont just hack into your motor with a dremel and think you are going to make some power with bigger ports and transfers. Theres some very good information out there - do plenty of research first!!

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...ock_to_Outlaw/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...s/Tuned_Pipes/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin..._a_Tuned_Pipe/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...ngine_Porting/
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM

those 2 stroke diesels (Detroit Diesels) gm makes have exhaust valves, either 2 or 4 poppet valves.
If you really know how a 2 stroke engine works you would have the answer to your own turbo question! I'll give you a hint, there is a big hole in the side of the sleeve for something to come out of, the piston opens and closes this hole. And there is another hole in the sleeve open at the same time.
With nitrous how to you plan on getting the extra fuel into the engine to keep the mixture right? Soon as you get on the bottle you will go lean and blow the engine. Why to you think all nitrous engines are either fuel injected or have an extra fuel jet added to dump more gas in. Its the oxygen in nitrous oxide that increases the power. More O2 is useless without enough gas to make it burn right. No matter what you need that 13-14:1 fuel air ratio.
Tuned pipe with head and port work is the tried and true method of making power with a 2 stroke engine, everything else has been tried and abandoned, not to say with different technology some of those ideas may prove workable, but for now......
Anything can be done and of course people will tell you how great it worked but they never have the proof of how great it was or sold the model for some reason so you can't see any proof, or a bad youtube video showing an after but no before! or the gps didn't work, or my wife was videoing and missed it! LOL Most of the time I call bull**** unless somebody can show me the money! Then I will happily admit I'm wrong and apologize.
If a turbo or supercharger worked on a 2 stroke motorcycle GP teams would have been using them back in the 500cc days, Motocrossers would be using them, kart racers would be using them, guys with F1 outboard racing boats would be using them! These guys are all looking for a few 100ths of a second yet non of them are using forced induction. Must be a reason.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:24 PM

i unerstand how nitrous works. you jet the carb for more fuel. thats how v8 guys run introus on carbd motors. i wouldnt just hog out the exhaust port or go crazy with the grooves in the cylinder head. i have seen turbo applications of 49 and 110cc 2 strokes. i dont think i could find a turbo small enough for a 25cc. i guess i can just go with high compression, stroker kit and coated piston and exaust port and header. do they make big bore and stroker kits for the zenoah? i was looking at the annhilator 31cc zenoah but id rather do the mods myself.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ben_sprink

i unerstand how nitrous works. you jet the carb for more fuel. thats how v8 guys run introus on carbd motors.

No we don't. The nitrous plate introduce the proper ratio of additional gas and the NOS. The carb is tunned to run without nitrous or you plugs would foul out quickly.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Thats right, its not how it works. Perhaps you should finish the boat and get it all up and running first before you start thinking about over complicating it.
You got enough to do getting it operational as it is. Besides an easy v is a performer with the stock zen anyway.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 AM

Fogger plate goes between carb and intake has one nozzle for nitrous and one for the gas, both hooked to solenoids, hit the switch and you feed both gas and nitrous through the fogger plate inot the intake manifold. You do not just toss monster jets in the carb!
Exactly how is a turbo going to work on a model engine? You have both the intake and exhaust ports open at the same time, any extra fuel air mix will just blow out the exhaust port and out the pipe. Some minor gains have been found in the low end on reed valve engines, where a 2 stroke has no torque or power, no gains have been found at higher rpm with these setups. A reed valve will let the forced induction keep pushing air into the engine until the pressure in the engine is equal to the pressure of the air being pushed by the turbo.
You have to compare apples to apples! We are talkin' model engines.
A moped is probably a reed valve engine operated at low rpm where you may see a minimal gain, doubt it is actually worth the hassel or cost, sells more to teenagers though I bet!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

There are plenty of turbo 2 strokes out there (GM has made millions) - but when looking at a zenoah the dynamics are very unrealistic - just too small to work - same with bolt on superchargers.

NOS is also a waste when it comes to usable performance - you will ruin plenty of good motors down that road.

The tried and tested supercharger used in the hobby is a tuned pipe. Significant performance can be achieved with internal motor modifications (along with the pipe) - dont just hack into your motor with a dremel and think you are going to make some power with bigger ports and transfers. Theres some very good information out there - do plenty of research first!!

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...ock_to_Outlaw/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...s/Tuned_Pipes/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin..._a_Tuned_Pipe/
http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...ngine_Porting/
Your Right Justaddwata, I been spending a lot of time there, great articles, good for a newbi gas guy