Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 head question >

head question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

head question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head question

Hey everybody,

I have an OS .12 in my Jet Stream currently. I have the square air cooling head on it right now, I would like to water cool the head (I just had the boat painted I don't really want to hack up the cover for air cooling) is there anybody out there who makes a .12 water cooled head, or a way I can water cool the exsisting head? Or possibly somebody who machines custom heads? I need some options HELP ME PLEASE!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: head question

I have not tried this but I have heard of useing 1/8" soft brass and coiling it around the head a few times. I've never tried and I don't see any reason why it would not work. I've also heard of useing a cooling clamp, I think K&B makes them not sure.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM

I have thought about the same thing but in order to do it I will have to cut my existing air cooled head (To get it to fit under my cover) which will considerably reduce my effective cooling area. I may play with the brass tubing but would much rather see an actual cooling head on there. Oh yeah, one other minor issue... It's a square cooling head...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does make it difficult. Do you have any vents to get any air to the engine? Even with it being a water cooled head, you still need some air moving around the engine. Ron Olson has more experience, with this type of engine. I'm sure when he reads your questions he will give you better advice.
IMO cut the cover let the engine get its air, you can use a hole-saw and not mess up the paint job, then come back and touch up the edges with paint.
Do you have a pic? I would like to see you boat.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Here are some pictures of it, I really really don't want to hack up the cover if I can avoide it. It does have a small scoop on the front of the cover that takes in air so??? Anyway on with the pictures...

Before paint...

After Paint

You can actually see some of the purple pearl in the pain on this one. The pictures really do the paint job no justice...