Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Dumas Atlas Van Lines 18" >

Dumas Atlas Van Lines 18"

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dumas Atlas Van Lines 18"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumas Atlas Van Lines 18"

Well I contacted Dumas hoping for a positive response on this kit ever being produced again - but no such luck. They suggested I keep my eye out on ebay but just seen one go for over a hundred dollars

I'm not a collector of that sorts, just a builder and was wondering if anyone had tracings of this one, and hopefully a scan of the decals they could share.

Its out of production so theres no problem with asking about it or sharing.

I bought and built one as a teen long time ago, but never held on to it. I have a stash of 1/2A motors just sitting around and have enough tools and knowlege now to knock one off with just tracings and thought it would be a nice little project for the winter months.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22674.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	572810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52377.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	572811  
Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Dumas Atlas Van Lines 18"

R/C boat modeler magazine has plans for a 1/12 scale hydro. Perhaps those would help?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Chuck, yeah I ran across that one too, its nice! I was thinking of building that version out of ply instead of balsa to strengthen it up for starting and running. Its all balsa built for electrics, and a latter version, but still a goodie. Its an option but I love the older one I used to have in my hands.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im almost done with my prints for a 18" sport hydro, "still needs,cockpit & cowl done" but all the main frames(bulk heads& skins) are done, on the templet sheets.The 18" sport hydro will look like the pic I put here, but the cowl. still workin on cowl.

Scott ,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20316.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	572861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64042.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	572862  
Old 12-06-2006, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpack

Hi Chuck, yeah I ran across that one too, its nice! I was thinking of building that version out of ply instead of balsa to strengthen it up for starting and running. Its all balsa built for electrics, and a latter version, but still a goodie. Its an option but I love the older one I used to have in my hands.
I've actually got a laser cut short kit of both the 1/10 and 1/12 version, as well as the plans. Eventually I'll do something with them. Unfortunately, both are balsa, I don't think that would work so well for nitro. Perhaps I'll use the pieces as templates to cut plywood.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Looks nice!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If you like the 1974 U-71, why not just get a set of plans from Newton Marine and scale them down to around 24". All you would need is a piece of 1/8th ply for the transoms, a sheet of 1/16th for the lengthwise frames and bottom and 1/32nd ply for the rest of the hull. The only drawback would be you would need to make your own nose cowling and cockpit area. The good part is it wouldn't cost as much for the plywood, it would be much lighter than the Dumas kit, and best of all, it would be faster. that sounds like a win/win to me

If you're interested in this, you can find the plans at www.newtonmarine.com
When you get there, click on "plans" and then on #107. Plan C is the U-70 and plan Fis the U-71