Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 NEW GO-ENGINE PICS tc-31 >

NEW GO-ENGINE PICS tc-31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

NEW GO-ENGINE PICS tc-31

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW GO-ENGINE PICS tc-31

Hi all picked up the go .28 There are a few issues regarding collet size so I ground down half the collet to fit inside the flywheel, note tc-31/36 collets are easy to find so this is why I did that. (easy to do... find a 3/16" drill bit insert into collet then clamp a file to the bench insert drill bit with tightened down collet into the drill and start spin'n...) also drilled two new engine mount holes in the engine case due to the original engine mount not having enough metal this does not effect the engine one bit. also picked up the standard os .21 header seems short (tube length) for a header... MACS recommends 3-3.5" of tube before the pipe but I guess thats not standard on o.s. marine engines... so now my high nitro tuned macs pipe is short for the hull even at 9" I did have a quiet tuned macs pipe from a previous project Im thinking of popping in.. I would like your opinions on that..? I may have to notch the radio box to get pipe to accept the angle... I posted tons of pics if I did not explain enough refer to them or feel free to reply. take care all hope this engine rips... I will know soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60392.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1036539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32824.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1036540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59111.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1036541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75433.jpg
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1036542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58792.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1036543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65596.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1036544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac65067.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1036545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu71431.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1036546  

Old 09-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Default RE: NEW GO-ENGINE PICS tc-31

You might have to customize your header,or this HPI header might of worked on your boat? Most .21-32 likes a pipe lenght about 8 1/2"-9". You could make a tail pipe out of brass to come out the back end of your boat. I'd done that with my vegas and Oberto. You can use the vegas silicon tail pipe tube as a couper to your tune pipe end to the tail pipe.

Name:	Ay74102.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1036587  
Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks miss hydro, can you measure the approx distance that header sticks out... maybe from center of flange to center of where the pie would meet...hard to explain that but I assume you get it from your post. Thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 AM

The radius on the HPI seems really tight a supper hot point at the radius...I may just notch my radio box so the pipe fits nice and reglass... should be fun... kinda.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 AM

Hey there...I had the same issues with radio box clearence on the sv. I would poke around for different headers and go with the quiet pipe as it should brind your tip out of the rear of the boat. The one ms hydro pointed out from hpi almost worked for me, but I cut too much off by mistake and couldnt find another. I was trying to cut an angle into it that would direct it away from the radio box but I botched it up. So I ended up with an associated truck header, heated it slightly, (low, blue flame, only for a couple of seconds) grabbed it with a shop towel and put a little bend into it. I know it's a different boat, but here's some pics to give you an idea....you may even be able to bend that os header you already have..had to enlarge the exhaust exit hole a little bit...on inside of hull I ca'd a graphite piece from a rc boneyard car, shaped it to fit the black insulation tube that exits the transom, then siliconed it shut.....had to trim a little off my box too....I may tweek the angle more later to give more clearence of the radio box and open the hole some more, but, it all works just fine now...I cut an exhaust coupler into 1/3 and slipped it between the pipe and the box for now...winter project to move the exhaust again...starting to feel like fall already....
***Now that I am awake and coherent, yep, what msvegas said...wasn't thinking, you're boat is longer...looks like a tight squeeze so an extension off the exhust tip will def be the way to go...the header is something you'll have to play with either by cutting or heating/bending....that's gonna be a whole new boat with that combo, like night and day Once you get past your clearance issues, the rest is cake....

Name:	Ec87474.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1037211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81920.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1037212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67323.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1037213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85443.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1037214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36299.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1037215  
Old 09-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Update? Problay out having too much fun
[X(]
Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 AM

I find building to be almost more fun... I have new picks I really wanted the straightest exhaust and cleanest design figuring less half-xxx rigging would eventually be on my side. so I took on cutting out and fiber glassing my radio box a little messy but now I have a working knowledge of glass... this set up will also work with both tuned pipes, I just ordered hi temp silicon 500 degree tube from mCmaster carr a great parts house. 5' of tube 12 bucks cant beat that its 3/8" id and 5/8" od comes in super soft and soft I chose soft as it was going to be semi supportive. Its also fits perfectly no drilling through hull and no need to zip tie on pipe. later all. taking her out to day for break in...

Name:	Ge96421.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1041629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56545.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1041630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65262.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1041631  
Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 AM

whoops forgot this part fiber glassing... so after you cut away the area to be glassed. I used the large pipe I had (can be seen in other picks) and fit it into the gap that I just cut away and the I molded femo clay around the pipe and interior of the box so I could easily lay the fresh glass on top. whammo blamo done. later all.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 AM

great job! but i think your going to want a zip tie on that header, once it heats up, and gets oily, it could blow off, or just make a nice mess out of your clean engine compartment.

looks great, keep us posted on how she runs!

davey
Old 09-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks got it, pics were in prelim stages of development, broke it in today sucked with the m445, and 30% mext is the ol trusty 50% and s225.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Looks like I just found a nice winter project! Let us know how that Go-Engine runs! Good pics of the setup too.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Will do, I still have to run the boat with the 50% and try a few diffrent props, hopefully its faster than the Dynomite, as of now I honestly dont know. will keep you all posted.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 AM

really interrested to hear about the speed diff between the Go and Dynamite. enjoy
Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Probably wont happen until saturday sorry all.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:53 AM

can I make 1 suggestion, put a piece of of that aluminum metal tape on you radio box to help shield it from the heat of the pipe. you can get it at most hobby shops and hardware stores for that matter. build looks great I can't wait to see how that go engine does I'm currently putting a go pro 21 in a Vegas myself.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Have you run it yet??? When you do please make a Video!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM

I'l try to sweet talk the lady into video taping..
Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 PM

Disappointed... season is running short, and this damn engine... first off this boat can sit on shore just after starting... idling and just start revving at supper high rpm with only a sixteenth of an inch of carb open its fluctuating so much and fuel is consistent I dont know whats up with that, also this engine isn't pushing my props either I have tried the stock 215 way to small, the m445 and the s225, witch seemed to run the best but I was still NEVER able to get it on plane the engine was just running horribly DONT MAKE ME GO BACK TO MY DYNAMITE!! GO-ENGINES at least that thing was tunable and consistent. I tried every needle setting I could staying at least 1.5 turns out. it shipped at about 3 1/4 turns out and manual stated to break in at two and half out. so if anyone has any idea of whats going on pleas let me know. it will rev up and down with the same throttle position and not turning the boat either its very odd, also yes.. I do have new batteries in everything.
so far the go engine is a downer but willing to work with it a bit. also proboat flex cables suck I go through one every time im in the water they always snap at the soldered seam. take care all will keep you all posted. J
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM

tell me about the proboat flex cables!! mine would unfrail on me when instailing them on my oberto!!! So when I went over to vegas adjustable strut system I'd used the vegas cable too with no troubles.. Sounds like you might have a air leak some where around the carb area to make it rev up...maybe around the base of it..I use copper red RTV around the base of all my motors.. Dont trust that rubber O rings..
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks I will try that .
Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM

OMG! the crank shaft is bent I swear thats most likely the reason. I pulled the carb to rtv it and I decided to turn over the engine a few times and noticed a quite noticeable wobble in the fly wheel and collet. I dont know how that happened maybe its from tightening down the collet? I used a tiny socket wrench If I replace the shaft I'm sure from running it the two times I will have to replace all the beaings..? let me know your ideas and tips. this is so odd I cant beileve it would bend that easy. I made a video of the wobble and will post it as soon as possible. later all could use your thoughts thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 PM

that motor should be under warnatie.. If not replace all bearing and crank.. just for the heck of it,check the rod to see if it got bent too.. I never saw or heard of a crank bent on a big block before?? That a defective crank. maybe bad steel or bad prossesing.??Also check the block too to see if that crank took off some of the inner alum out of it too.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jerj

OMG! the crank shaft is bent I swear thats most likely the reason. I pulled the carb to rtv it and I decided to turn over the engine a few times and noticed a quite noticeable wobble in the fly wheel and collet. I dont know how that happened maybe its from tightening down the collet? I used a tiny socket wrench If I replace the shaft I'm sure from running it the two times I will have to replace all the beaings..? let me know your ideas and tips. this is so odd I cant beileve it would bend that easy. I made a video of the wobble and will post it as soon as possible. later all could use your thoughts thanks.
jerj,

if the crank is hardened steel like its supposed to, I don't think tightening the collet will bent a crank.

I'm not saying its not possible, I just haven' seen it.

I'm thinking of something else that is causing the wobble, so remove the collet, flywheel and flywheel sleeve (cone shape) and rotate the engine again, if its still doing it well hot darn but if its ok, I think that the problem is the flywheel sleeve.

Dan.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Interesting I may do that, remove the sleve ...but not sure if I can get one to replace it. I'll be in touch with go-engines. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 AM

jerj,

Not the piston sleeve!

The flywheel sleeve, the one that is shapped like a cone and slips over the crank than the flywheel goes over it.

Finding a new sleeve/cone spacer should not be hard to find.

good luck,
Dan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.