Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 aeromarines mean machine .18 >

aeromarines mean machine .18

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

aeromarines mean machine .18

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aeromarines mean machine .18

Hello all I am thinking of getting into boating and was wondering if this would be a good starter boat.. It would be just for fun on pond plus I only live about an hour away from there store I dont have to worry about ordering stuff for it.. Any one else run this boat?? How is it tuff, handling, maintanance ect....

Thanks for any help...
Old 10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: aeromarines mean machine .18

I had one in my hands for a few weeks and it was a disappointment. The engine was difficult to start, poor radio system and no owners manual to go to for help. There are much better boats out there for $100.00 less.
To tell the truth, when I first saw the prototypes I thought that it was going to be the RTR boat to get as it did look promising.
If you really want one, get hold of Aeromarine directly as they did have some that have water damaged boxes and the price was greatly reduced.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 PM

rshooch, I do currently run the mean machine. I see that Ron did not like it but I have not had any issues with it and found it to be very reliable. I run my boat along with Scott and his Rio and the Dreamin CS. Granted I cannot keep up with them(when they run right), the rio could not match me in the turns. We run in the Milford/Milton area so if you want to see it run, just let us know.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25115.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1062321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81376.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1062322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58719.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1062323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92283.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1062324  
Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 PM

WOW!! Great pictures! Wonder who took them???
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM

The boat did have some good points though. I thought that the hull was well laid-up, the running hardware decent and a very good radio box. I just can't see the money for a cheap engine, unknown radio system except to some R/C car and truck guys as Smart-tech isn't a big name in radio systems plus who knows who made the engine. It laso lost points to me on not having a prop nut but a piece of fuel tubing to hold the prop on. Sure, it works but it's a chintzy way to do it.
The prototype started off with a CEN Racing .16 and a Pro Boat Miss Bud header and pipe. I just can't see paying $100.00 more for something that I could get faster and with brand-name stuff in it.
Me trying to get one started.....

Name:	Pn35471.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1062632  
Old 11-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Check out my user revue on that thing, my three year sun rely likes the boat he had more play time out of it then I ever did, now it resides in the local landfill.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: wetherbeec

Check out my user revue on that thing, my three year sun rely likes the boat he had more play time out of it then I ever did, now it resides in the local landfill.
Interesting. This Mean Machine that Bill is referring to is his very first r/c boating experience. First experience with nitro as well. I do agree about the slight issues with the quality of radio and the other minor items Ron addressed. Bill and I had a slightly difficult time starting this engine at first before realizing the glow ignitor was almost dead. Once fully charged it started the stock .18 in the first or second pull. While it's not perfect, has proven to Bill and myself to be a very reliable and enjoyable boat for the money. GPS speeds top out at about 25-26 after some adjusting. Definately more reliable than many other RTR's out there.

With a few gallons of fuel through so far, the only issues have been a broken plastic stock prop that was easily replaced with one from Octura. Hasen't fallen off yet even though it's held on with fuel line! There are a few things that could use some improving but for a RTR, and for under $300 new from AM it's been a fun boat.

What RTR boat stays completely stock long anyway? We always decide to add something or swap out one thing or another eventually.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
My Feedback: (15)

i just picked on of these up off ebay , does anyone know what size or part number for the radio box for this is , mine didnt come with one
Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM

According to the part listing that came with the boat, it is PG01 for the transmitter. (p-30113) on the transmitter 27 MHz made by smartech.
The receiver is listed as PG02. Aeromarine phone number is 302 629-3944. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: bobrien

According to the part listing that came with the boat, it is PG01 for the transmitter. (p-30113) on the transmitter 27 MHz made by smartech.
The receiver is listed as PG02. Aeromarine phone number is 302 629-3944. Good luck.

thanks but , im talking about the box that the servos go in .
Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm guessing that part numbers 6001 or 6002 should fit in there. You can contact Aeromarine to ask them which box for sure or one of their dealers like www.funrcboats.com .
Old 11-02-2008, 11:59 PM

cool thanks .
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM

I've been running a "Mean Machine" for over a year with pretty fair results. Replaced the cheezy fiberglass engine mount with 1/4" internal ply beams down each side of the interior and engine mount blocks. Replaced the stuffing tube with 1/4" brass tube and 3/8" threaded flex shaft. I have run an Aqua 18 and a OS 18 CVR-M with a MAC 18 pipe and an OS 21 RG-M on a vibration resistant engine mount with a CB 21SS pipe. The latter setup does 38 mph and has not yet gotten "on the pipe" due to header issues. Radio is a Futaba 2.4 Love the hull, radio box and the outdrive and rudder!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: beaverboy

I've been running a "Mean Machine" for over a year with pretty fair results. Replaced the cheezy fiberglass engine mount with 1/4" internal ply beams down each side of the interior and engine mount blocks. Replaced the stuffing tube with 1/4" brass tube and 3/8" threaded flex shaft. I have run an Aqua 18 and a OS 18 CVR-M with a MAC 18 pipe and an OS 21 RG-M on a vibration resistant engine mount with a CB 21SS pipe. The latter setup does 38 mph and has not yet gotten "on the pipe" due to header issues. Radio is a Futaba 2.4 Love the hull, radio box and the outdrive and rudder!

hey bro,
if possible could you post some pics of the work you have done inside the hull . id appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm away from home in sunny TX at the moment and the pix are on my computer in WA. There have been at least 3 threads on the MM in RCU. If you click on my profile, my entries will lead you to them. I think the only pictures I have put in are some running pix. I'll put some more on this thread when I get home Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm away from home in sunny TX at the moment and the pix are on my computer in WA. There have been at least 3 threads on the MM in RCU. If you click on my profile, my entries will lead you to them. I think the only pictures I have put in are some running pix. I'll put some more on this thread when I get home Wednesday or Thursday.

all right appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 AM

cool thanks for all the replies dreamin hemi what ponds do u run at in milford and are you guys going out again this year??
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: rshooch

cool thanks for all the replies dreamin hemi what ponds do u run at in milford and are you guys going out again this year??
We run all over the place. New ponds are located in Milton, literally 1 mile or so from my home. Typically Bill and I use Blairs Pond, just a mile or so from Bill. Much larger pond there. If that's crowded (fishermen) there are several options still we haven't even tried yet. And YES! We are still taking the boats out whenever we can. Cold not really so bad around here as you know, just need to dress for the weather. With the ponds being so close, even a short outing usually takes care of the itch. I'm personally trying again possibly Saturday near my home in Milton. Let me know!

-Scott
Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM

that sounds cool i know where blairs pond is i used to fish there all the time. I used to go to mudmill but then to I only had a zig zag 2..lol if you do go let me know... Im very intr rested in getting into boating Ive been into land based nitro rc for 9 years...
Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 AM

As promised last week below are three pix of my MM interior mods. The first two have an OS 18CV-RM mounted on engine blocks and the third as it is now with an OS 21RG-M and engine isolated engine mount. I'm still working on a better header set-up to get it on pipe without butchering the cowl. It has also been powered by a stock Aqua 18 with good results.

Name:	Ge96353.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1067023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33503.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1067024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77326.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1067025  
Old 11-07-2008, 09:12 AM

nice bro, could you give me the spacing measurements on the rails, mine hasnt arrived yet. where can i buy that mount you have in picture 3?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM

The inside distance between the main stringers is 3.5". I got the motor mount on International Waters along with the OS 21 engine, pipe and some other things so I don't know who made it. I'll ask JD. Aqua makes a mount for the SV27 Nitro that is available on Tower. The OS .21 is a great engine setup for this boat. Adds a little weight which makes it more stable. Top speed will probably be 45 or less. It takes a lot of power to make these cats move!

Have you noticed that Aeromarine Laminates is selling bare MM hulls on Ebay? Item #220307997627
Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 PM

The inside distance between the main stringers is 3.5". I got the motor mount on International Waters along with the OS 21 engine, pipe and some other things so I don't know who made it. I'll ask JD. Aqua makes a mount for the SV27 Nitro that is available on Tower. The OS .21 is a great engine setup for this boat. Adds a little weight which makes it more stable. Top speed will probably be 45 or less. It takes a lot of power to make these cats move!

Have you noticed that Aeromarine Laminates is selling bare MM hulls on Ebay? Item #220307997627

thanks for the info, i was wondering if the proboat metal motor mount would work . about what speeds are talking with a aqua .18 ? all i have atm .
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM

As I recall it was timed at 38 mph with a stock Aqua 18 and MAC 2.5 pipe. I am not familiar with the PB engine mount, but as long as you can fit it between the stringers, it should work or you can make your own mount. If you're using an Aqua 18, I'd just make the engine blocks out of hardwood and use the Aqua engine mount plates as I did on mine with the 18's in it.

BTW - Don't be afraid to rip out the stock MM fiberglass engine mount and radio box and get rid of the sticky junk they are secured with. A little warming with a heat gun or hair dryer helps. Shoe Goo is holding my radio box in now, the canopy/hatch is secured with rare earth magnets on the back and the antenna comes directly out of the center of the radio box cover and through the canopy. Gets rid of all the hardware on the outside of the hull. I use West Systems epoxy to glue in the new stringers and engine mount blocks. I opened a vent on each side of the cockpit windshield and put galvanized wire across them. Also drilled six 1/2" holes in the top side of the "tail" for exit ventilation using a taper bit. Drill bits will tear up the thin FG.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM

aight thanks for the info bro ill get some pics up once i get it goin .