Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 JD "Kneeler" Project and pics >

JD "Kneeler" Project and pics

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

JD "Kneeler" Project and pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JD "Kneeler" Project and pics

Well, I started another project last friday, and before I knew it, I was close to done! I was told WOF boats are the way to go when building..boy where they right. So fun and easy. Ok, so I took Mr. Dunlaps 36" 3.5cc outboard kneeler plans, redid them on CADD to a 42" version that I plan to hang a stock 11cc K&B outboard on. I am starting to wonder tho, if the boat is going to be to light to handle the much engine, but I will figure something out! Should be fun if I can keep it on the water. Here are some pics:

Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Default RE: JD "Kneeler" Project and pics

For those that are not familiar with this boat, this is the finished product that JD built on a contest on RCU:

Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM

That is a nice project, I used .67 K&B outboards for a cupple of years but have them sold both. Like to know what your engine will do with this set up. I was woundering, are JD's plans of the kneeler availble yet, can't wait to build one.
Keep us updating.

Best regards

Marc
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM

I am not sure about them being available just yet via the RC Boat Modeler magazine, as I have not received my issue yet that is suppose to have the plans in it. I talked to JD directly about the plans. I love this design, and have a feeling it will be my favorite boat. I highly suggest everyone build one. The ease in building makes it a great beginners boat as well. Just something different about it that stands out. I will be putting the rest of it together tonight, and get new pics up in the coming days. Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM

Mike,

I think a 7.5 would be more than sufficient power and weigh a whole lot less. What type of glue are you using?

JD
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Jerry, The more I work on this boat, the more I think a 7.5cc would be the right choice. The 11cc may be overkill! I don't have a 7.5cc, so I will have to find one for a decent price I guess. I am using all Gorilla Glue so far. You can see the body filler to smooth the cowl area. After I sand that down, I will epoxy the center and sponsons, then put all of it together, and put another coat of epoxy on, then prime, and paint! Is Gorilla Glue ok??? I talked to Mark (OBNUT), he says he loves Gorilla glue for WOF builds, so I gave it a try. Let me know! Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM

If the boat doesn't come apart once you've run it, then Gorilla Glue would seem like a good choice. I might have to give it a try on my next WOF project.

JD
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 PM

Jerry, Gorilla Glue is a full urethane, fully waterproof one part glue. It is extremely strong, and drys to 80% in 1 hour, and full cure in 10 hours if I remember right. I can grab the bow and the stern of the center section, and try to twist as hard as I can, and it will not twist in the slightest bit..and I am a big guy, lol. I was using 2 part epoxy resin when I build the 42" JD27, and after building this one with Gorilla glue, there is no going back! Give it a shot!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:42 PM

I have Gorilla glue - used it on some wood furniture projects.... I didnt like it because it expands into a foam when drying (and I wasnt expecting that and it ruined beautiful wood & marble table.... it pushed the marble squares up unevenly from the particle board underneath them. So JD be aware of that expansion!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:47 PM

I have Gorilla glue - used it on some wood furniture projects.... I didnt like it because it expands into a foam when drying (and I wasnt expecting that and it ruined beautiful wood & marble table.... it pushed the marble squares up unevenly from the particle board underneath them). So JD be aware of that expansion!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Yes, that is true for sure. When doing the WOF, you much clamp and tape all the edges to hold the "foam" inside. If you do that, the part will stay in place.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Mike

There is one K&B 7.5 on ebay at this moment if you like, keep up your nice project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-B-MODEL-BOAT-O...1%7C240%3A1318

Greets Marc
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Yep, its on my watch list already! lol. If it would stay at $150, I will most likely shoot for it. My budget doesnt allow for more right now tho, so we will see. Thanks for the heads up. I should have new pics soon. I got the top sheeting on the sponsons last night, so its getting closer. Mike
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Hi CYBERCRXT,

If you are looking for an outboard motor, you might want to try emailing a friend of mine (Larry Conrad). He is a tunnel lover and was selling some engines this last weekend; dont know if he sold them all. But that ad on ebay reads like the seller has never run the engine (let buyer beware) and clearly ststes "AS IS" (another warning - we all know things are "as is", but when a seller specifically states this - run, run RUN!). To me it means he KNOWS the engine is f..d up and wants to make sure he can later claim it was sold with that disclaimer.

Anyhow, Larry has run/does run everything he sells - no junk. PM me and I'll send ya his email address; tell him I referred you to him.

todd hollander
minnesota - where racing is over & the geese are migrating!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks Todd,

I will PM you in one minute for that information. Its funny you mention the Geese are Migrating...They come to Eastern North Carolina (where I live). My dad is a retired Wildlife Biologist, so I know all about that! Take care, Mike
Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 AM

Got the boat finished and the top epoxyed. Probably epoxy the bottom tonight.

And some pics of the completed 42" Dunlap 27 that I built before I started the kneeler:

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COOL MAN nice paint!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the color dose jump out and get you
Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 PM

That color looks like Corvette Sunset Orange....same color as my 1:1 2006 C6.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 AM

Hey, Its actually House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine over Orion Silver. I wanted to use the 08 Corvette Atomic Orange, but it was way to expensive!

Got some pics from over the holidays. Got the boat together, got the fuel tank holder made and installed, carbon fibered the deck (its not really perfect, but it adds a lot of strength to that center 1/16" plywood!), and got the radio box designed and built.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Was the legs skeg touching the bath bottom or is the boat just balancing like that. Where can I buy the plans. RCstore don't have them.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 AM

Hey, The boat was fully floating. That is how it sits. I know the skeg was close! Like 1/4" from the bottom close! But yeah, it sits really nice, even with that 11cc back there. The 35" 3.5cc plans are suppose to be threw RCStore. I have the 42" plans for the 7.5 or 11cc. I don't mind you getting a set of the 42" plans that I drew up, but you need to get Jerry Dunlaps blessings first, as he gave me the 35" that I did my scale up off of, so talk to him, and have him contact me if you want a set. Thanks, Mike
Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Got it about done. Just need to add the little man in the boat. I test ran it last weekend, did pretty good! I need to adjust the engine angle to get the bow up, but so far so good. Enjoy the pics!