Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 New to boats, which one to get? >

New to boats, which one to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.
View Poll Results: A poll
Proboat Blackjack 26 SS
5.56%
Proboat Thundercat 31
33.33%
Aquacraft Supervee 27
16.67%
Proboat Shockwave 36
22.22%
Any electric brushless?
0%
Other?????
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

New to boats, which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boats, which one to get?

Hi everybody, i'm new to boats but not new to the RC hobby. I've had and have many Nitro trucks, cars and buggies but now want to try something new this year. We bought a real baot last year so spend alot of time on and near the water so figured why not and try RC boats. I looked at many aspects of both electric and nitro, cost, reliability, run times, speed etc. With all the cost associated with brushless systems with the batteries, chargers etc i think i'm going to stick with nitro's (even if from what i hear be giving up speed and reability). I don't think i can get out having the actual sound of the nitro motor unless someone can convince me differently. I'm not looking to spend tons (just in case its not my thing but looking for a descent used boat). please let me know which one you would chose and why OR recommend another boat. Things i would like to compare and stability on both smooth water and a little rough, speed etc. IF YOU OTHER IN THE POLL, PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH BOAT AND WHY. Any comments will be greatly appriciated. thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Default RE: New to boats, which one to get?

check with Great hobbies, they are in Canada,
They have a store in PEI and Edmonton, they have all the boats mentioned on your list.

Dan.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 PM

i bought a formula fastech from Great Hobbies.Great service and price,was a pleasure to deal with them.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM

I know of all the boats in your decision field. The shockwave is my choice of the bunch because it is the biggest ,most durable and sturdy, fastest, easyiest to handle, takes on rougher water and is the easiest to get your hand in to fix.
Kinda is your preferece. If you like cats over mono hulls. The super v is a fantastic little boat with a really good little engine. Not very good looking in my opinion and don't handle much rough stuff. Blackjack looks cool but I don't like steerable outdrives. The tc31 I like but just not as much as the shockwave. All cats scare me for blow overs.
One thing I'm sure of is that you will hate electric. The way you talk about it now, don't go there. Read through a few electric forums and see what they're talkin about. Bring a pillow and a blanket with you,(snore). I tried a proboat fastech brushless, thinking I'd like a boat that you can just toss in without all the fuss. Quick little boat that handled pretty good. But I didn't like it. Literally a boat load of electrical problem is what they are. And expensive for batts and chargers.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM

thanks for the replies so far. I've been basicaly basing my decision so far from what i see on you tube (which in shouln't because alot don't say what mods have been done). I'm nogt sure exactly what a steerable outdrive is but does the Blackjack 26 SS have it too? looks like i'll just have to do alot of research on my options. thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Thecsteerable outdrives are a problem on the Pro Boat boats as the have issues with breaking at the U-joint.
The others have some troubles also that hopefully have been taken care of by now with flex cable alignment and cable problems with breakage. The carbs are poorly set from the factory also.

BTW, you might want to remove your last sentence as it is in violation of site rules as that constitutes a want ad.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up on not being allowed to post want ads in this section (i'll remove it right now). I did post a want ad in the classifieds. So, what boat do you guys recommend? What boat handles the best in choppy water? thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you like the TC 31 then go for it. As with any boat, don't outdrive the conditions.
Like I tell anyone shopping for a first or tenth boat, YOU are the one who has to be happy with your purchase.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Well the deed is done. I went on fleabay and saw an add for both a thundercat 31 and blackjack 26 ss. I must of asked 100 questions before buying and the seller also sent me additionnal pics and a video he made of them running. So, i guess my first boat ended being two boats, lol. The blackjack ss looks to be in really good condition, everything is stock except fora grim racer prop and a afetr market pipe. The Thundercat on the other hand has some hull damage (looks pretty bad) and i don't know if i'm going to try to fix it or hopefully be able to buy a good used hull of someone since they want $180 for a new one. Guess there would be no harm in trying to fix it but would hate to waste my time and money if its not worth it. Either way, i have a complete other boat (engine, electronics etc) plus i have the blackjack to play with in the meantime. I think $305 was hopefully a good deal for both even if the one hull don't look to great. I want some advise on my purchase (was it worth it or not) and opinions about the hull (if its worth fixing or not?) thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13759.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1403408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89943.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1403410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89903.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1403411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh56699.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1403412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78597.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1403413  
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM

You did great I think. Especially if you got all the radio and starter eguipment. Both those aren't great anyway. With the money you saved maybe get a good radio and back up starting system. And cables and exhaust couplers. Also check for leaky tanks. You got the good blackjack with the strut and rudder not the steerable outdrive and the bigger motor. The tc31 is totally fixable . I think you've got yourself a lot of fun for a few hundred bucks. How much was shipping, from where?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM

I was hoping it was a good deal (even with the shipping cost of $55 for both in one box from Miami). i would have had to pay shipping for a new one anyways no matter if i got it new from canada or anywhere else. They did both come with radio and starter system. Its just the stock radio for the blackjack and just a traxxas radio for the Thundercat. I have a JR rcing XS3 fm radio (that i was for my buggies) with a couple novak xxtra synthesized receivers lying around so i might use that. Should i think about upgrading servo's or are they fine for now? As for the coupling on the Thundercat he did replace it already ( i have a bunch of those lying around anyway) and what cable are you talking about? Is there a cable that you see that is unhooked? What kind of back up starter are you talking about? Like a pull start? I have a bunch of handheld rotostarts for by buggies and he's including one (along with a bumch of new glow plugs, gaskets etc). So the blackjack that everybody hates had steerable outdrive (meaning the prop actualy turned???) and this one doesn't so its definately the newer model, as well as the .18 instead of the .15, is that correct? I was thinking of holding off a bit but the auction was ending so i said why not. So you think the hull on the thundercat is fixable (guess i'll have to get into that when the time comes). thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM

The cables I'm refering to are the drive cables from the engine to prop. Keep them greased to make them last as well as keeping water out. But its good to keep an extra with you, as they do break. The original blackjack had a .15 and a steerable outdrive, (no rudder, the whole prop assembly moves on a universal joint). Yours is the new .18 with a nice strut and rudder. Should prove to be a hot little boat . Hopefully you can pull some of those decals off without ruinning any paint . It has a nice colour scheme. Those tiger drive starters are known to strip if build up too much compresion if it floods. An extra drive(the part that mounts on to the front of the engine) or a pull start in your field box . I think the extra drive might be cheaper and easier. The tc 31 is fixable of course. As far as servos are concerned, don't change them if they're still working good . Get all the milage out of those you can because I have a feeling you might be getting them wet via wipe outs. Thats what those pool noodles are for. FLOTATION,you're gonna need it . Have fun and let us know how you make out when you get em. All the ice is off the ponds now. Meanwhile check out WaveWakers' tc31 thread, you'll like it.</p>
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks, appreciate the reply's, comments and suggestions. I'm going to try and find Wavewakers thread on the TC31 right now, then try to find some more info on the BJ26 SS. from my small pool, i see that the TC31 and Shockwave are even (not that alot of people voted anyway) and the Blackjack got 0 votes. I wonder if its because all the problems thay had before with the steerable drive. thanks

I can't seem to locate that exact thread by wavewakers, can you maybe shoot me a link. thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM

if thats the only hull damage on the tc 31 you have gotten a great deal as its an easy fix and if you are not sure on using fiberglass take it to a local autobody shop will fix it for under $50 .00 or so or you can read some of the glass repair fourm here and they pretty much talk you through step by step anyhow i think you will be happy with your find
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 AM

I figured it was a good deal for two boats. I think people wern't bidding much because of the hull damage and maybe scared them off. I had the guy send me tons of new pics and even a video of the cracks and the boats running. He said they have only been ran a hanfull of times each (but i'm sure everyone says that) but either way they look pretty clean inside and out). From what I can see the TC31 goes for between $200-$250 used and the Blackjack 26 SS i'm not sure but i'm guessing around $175-$200 since its the newer model with the .18 and it doesn'yt have the steerable drive. Worst comes to worst i get lucky and find a good used hull somewhere for the TC1 OR pay to get it fixed. I consider myself pretty handy so with some step by step instruction i could probly fix it and then put a custom paint job on it! thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Wave Wakers thread is called "tc31 the building of " I believe. Got me hooked on doing the same.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Sorry, "OS.46 TC31 the making of " ,I think its called.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Thanks alot, found the thread. Started reading it but havn't even put a dent into it yet. Looks to be some great and easy mods for it. Still havn't got the boats but there on the way. Can't wait to start working on them.