Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Saito Engines... can I trust them? >

Saito Engines... can I trust them?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Saito Engines... can I trust them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Engines... can I trust them?

I like the weight versus power of the Saito engines but there seems to be a stigma concerning break-in and satisfactory idle; is this an unfair trait or is there some "tinkering" and unexceptable deadsticks to deal with? I want to put this argument to bed....
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Saito Engines... can I trust them?

You never will...everyone has an opinion.....

but I LOVE my Saito!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 PM

I know your right about that; As exoensive as they are, I just want to know it the weight savings is going to be tainted by a finicky idle.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM

I have two Saito 72's - once broken in and set slightly rich I haven't had to adjust needles again. Never noticed any experienced flyers having a dead stick problem after engine breakin on the bench. Problem normally caused by running too lean or lack of exit for cooling air when using a cowl.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:25 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Hi Navy, I've owned/own many Saito's and a few OS's and two Magnum's and I've not had a bad one yet [kow]. There is no stigma, all any of them have needed is a little common sense, patience and an OS F glow plug with fresh fuel. Break-in has never been a problem, but the more you run them the better they seem to run. Normally I run them for 4-6 tanks on the bench so that I have complete control of the cooling-mixture-throttle, etc. I have one 56 that has 10-12 gallons thru it and runs as strong now as it ever did.
Fred B
Old 06-12-2005, 06:29 PM

Thanks Fred; it appears most of the readers have faith in their Saitos; that is good to hear.... it seems the brerakin is critical and then just proper common sense. It seems so many OS engines get the reputation of running great out of the box with no problems.... this might just mean their settings provide greater error. The Saito seems to be a possibly most precise tool needed some care at first.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (22)

LOVE MY SATIO 150!! dont believe everything you hear in this hobby..
Old 06-12-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I trust them. I have Saito's in 30, 40, 45, 50 56, 65, 80, 100, 100twin,120, and 150 sizes. They're worth the break-in hassle, and done properly, will probably last forever.. Best tip I could give to a beginner, buy Saito
Old 06-12-2005, 09:08 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Only thing better than a Saito is a YS engine.
I love both of my 100's and would not give it a second thought to purchasing another.
I have a buddy that can set them really good, he has been flying for years and has a ear
for setting engines both four strokes and two strokes. I'm lucky to have him around as he
has set all my engines so far. I want to learn all I can about setting engines.
John
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I've got a Saito 40a, 80, 100. Absolutly the best! My 80 is about 15 years old with only one bearing replacement. I fly it almost every weekend. The 100 sounds like a sewing machine. The little 40a is blast on my Seniorita. I see a new 82 or 72 in the near future for me.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM
WCB

The rough idle is a rich low end needle setting. After a Saito is broken in lean the bottom end out and the idle will smooth out and you can slow it down. I've had/have .56,.82,.91, 1.00 and 1.50 and all were fine engines. The breakin is not that big of a deal...just run it rich at low rpm for a few tanks and then fly it rich the rest of the way. After that set the high speed 300 rpms on the rich side and lean the bottom end until you get a good smooth idle and transition. After an hour or so of running (or if it starts losing power) adjust the valves. After that you don't have to mess with it anymore. Saitos won't tolerate a lean run so be cautious of that.

WCB
Old 06-13-2005, 12:53 PM

WCB,
I was with you until you said, "after an hour of running, adjust the valves".... what does that mean? I have been running OS engines for 14 yrs and never had to adjust valves. This is where the Saito tinkering confises me... why do I need to adjust valves after an hour (or at all)? What am I missing?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:39 PM

I assume the clearance between the valve tappet and rocker arm changes a little after break in. Again assuming being a new engine that is heated and beat upon at a staggering rate will change the this clearance +/- 0.001 inch or so. I still set the clearance on my old 80 every once in a while just for fun.

Takes about 5-10 minutes tinkering per valve. To set the clearance you take off the valve cover. Turn the prop and look at the rocker arm, turn prop until the rocker arm is fully up. Use your supplied spanner (hex wrench) to loosen the stop nut. Insert feeler guage bewteen valve and rocker arm. Turn top of push rod with a straight screw driver until the feeler guage has slight resistance when sliding in and out of gap. Hold push rod in position and tighten hex nut. Replace valve cover.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. I like to set my clearance on the tight side to increase duration. Could be more tinkering than some want but I'm sure there's some eager motor head at the field that would love to show you how. It's really a quick and painless operation. Just another rich part of our hobby.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
WCB

I guess I'd stay with OS brand then.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

"I guess I'd stay with OS brand then"

and what, prey tell, makes you think your OS's valves aren't in need of an adjustment ???

oh.... I forgot, the OS plug and play syndrome.... no maintainance required !!!! [:'(]

[:-]
Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 PM

I am not saying OS is beyond fault; I am just saying that without "tinkering" with valves, I have consistantly achieved the advertised RPM's without having to do anything but fuel and go.... If OS engines weight was equal to that of the Saito, I would not have started this thread. As it is, I think I see where the Saito gets its reputation; a great engine that requires additional care at the outset; not a bad quality but one that this thread appears to agree with.

There are obviously 2 great engine makers..... both are to be applauded. I have not been talked into a new Saito..... that is the beauty of RCU.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM

Navey18 - You are right I've seen some really good OS's at the field and I'd love to have an OS or Magnum 52FS for my Sig Rascal 40. However all machines need maintance at some point, you may want to just check the valves on your OS sometime. I think it's OK to tinker in this hobby, maybe even required . Maybe the extra weight of the OS's is worth a little less maintance.... I'll have to think about this one.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 AM

MWRight,
You are correct in assuming my OS engines could use some maintenance... I have a 91 Surpass 4stroke that has been on 3 airplanes... I sold the last airframe and am about to place it on its 4th. I should take this time to take the cover off and have a look. I might even learn how to check the valves. When I bought the engine back in 1998, I put the engine on a 4star60 and off we went; no valve adjustments escept the high needle valve for breakin optimal RPM changes... I have since had a 70 Surpass that is equally user friendly... it is on a GP Ultimate and is a kick in the pants. My interest in Saito is strictly for weight savings; not displeasure with OS. I probably should stick to the 91 and shift a servo or two aft.... this has been an interesting thread.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navy18, I have run both brands of four stroke; with much more time invested in OS than Saito.

Saitos need more break-in; the low-end mixture is more finicky to set, and unlike the OS carb, adjusting the low-end a little bit on a Saito will affect the high end. None of this is a big deal; a Saito just requires a bit more effort to "get right"; and once its there, its every bit as dependable as an OS. Perhaps more so, given that OS has caved in to the enviro-nazis and now has the Greenpeace carburetor...

My big gripe with Saito is the new design muffler. It bites, period; there's nothing more to be said. The curved header and slim "can" of the OS (which Saito used to have) is much better. Oh, the new Saito design works fine; it just looks like hell, IMO...

Navy18, there isn't THAT much of a difference in weight between these engines. But Saito definitely offers a wider range of displacements.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:23 PM

I went the OS route and bought a .52 and a .70.
Love them and will not buy another twostroker again if it's not for some crazy-special-project like extreme speed or similair.

I ran them in according to the manual and there's no tinkering what so ever, I would recommend these engines to anyone.
Been flying the .52 lots lately and it starts almost by itself, it has never quit on me and idles beautifully...

I'd probably been just as happy with Saito, but I think OS is more common here in Europe?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM

I have several Saitos and an Os Surpass and I have had to adjust the valves in all of them. OS is not immune to the change in valve clearance. Just my $.02.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:22 AM

How do I know when I need to adjust the valves on my OS's?
I don't have the valve checking/setting tool.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:42 AM

With my OS engines, I am still waiting for a drop off in RPM to indicate a problem....... until then, I won't pop the top since I also do not have any appropriate checking gear. 6.5 years and going strong.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Beside after break in the only tell-tell sign I'm aware of is hearing a louder than usual valve lash (that fast ticking type noise) and maybe depressed performance over what I expect or saw in the past. If you have never checked then it will not hurt the engine to just check. You can get your LHS to order the tools or you find the right size feeler guage and use a small screwdriver or metric Allen wrench (the newer Satio's use an Allen wrench to set the gap) and needle nose pliers. I can tell a difference in performance between loose and tight valves. We are talking about a twice a decade operation here. I bought one of the RCM books on Saitos ($8 I think), read it and did it, painless really.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me add this, my Saito 91 and 120 are great. I love them. I did strip the sparkplug threads on the 91 (a possible weakness of the brand) and had to send it off for a helicoil but that was not so bad. No experience with YS or OS four strokes so I would never put them down.
The only problem with Saito is most of the guys mispronounce the name and get testy if corrected. So I never correct them... but then they "correct" me!
Allan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.