Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part II

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi Brian,

Sage advice? You`re making me feel embarrassed (self-conscious). [img][/img]
Look you have the sun, the same about climate, the sea (for all of them plus some other Germans hate us (being jealous of), no I`m kidding, no I`m not !) so you have only to start eating Greek salad, moussaka, olive oil, feta cheese and you`ll be like you`re here.

So, it is not responding to rudder input and this gets worse after some running time. Hmm, something when gets hotter things get worse. It is either something gets hotter like the blade grip bearings or the servo gets hotter after running at some more load.
So as you say the tail must bind somewhere.
Just in case replace the tail shaft too. In my case although the tail slider could move so freely when the bird was not running the shaft was just a little bent, so little that did not made vibrations or rotor out of balance, the bent point when the shaft was spinning did not let the slider to move freely.

Hmm, something else.
I can`t recall when it is happening to left or right rudder input but the tail slider can bind and lock to a point if you have installed the tail blade holder too far from the tail case.
I mean do not install the tail blade holder facing the edge of the shaft.
This makes the slider take such an angle to its arms and so they lock, cannot be moved.
Try installing the tail blade holder about two millimeters to the inside of the edge, if only the grub screw is still on the groove of the shaft and it does not make a contact sideways to the groove and the shaft.

Maybe it`s the latter one as you`ve changed the tail blade holder.

Spiros

Hiya Spiros!

I SOLVED it.

First I must say that I am literally embarrassed to be a helicopter mechanic and I should have my certificate taken away.

As you read above I changed out both servos AND the FBL unit.

I should have started at the tail. DOH!

I thought since the tail brand new and "I" assembled it with my own "mits" that surely there couldn't possible be a problem!!!

WRONG!

I got Loctite (thread locker) on the brass bushing on ONE of the tail slider arms.

SON OF A GUN!

I feel confident when I assembled the parts that it was free but I neglected to move the slider by hand there after.

When the glue dries in the morning I will give it a fly but that HAS to be it!

It mimicked bad tail bearings to a "T".

Upside is, is that I will do a beginning to end set up on my Align 500 as I feel confident I didn't set it up right (again, many thanx to Simon for his comprehensive set up viddy)!

All the best!

Brian

PS I already eat all in the RED above!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George,

Mate what parts do you need? Maybe some I had earmarked for Kozzi can come your way since Rob has been super generous with Kozzi already.

PM me if you like and let me know, I'm very happy to give you a bunch of spares that I cant use.

Phil.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 AM

So my FBL conversion has come to a halt again. Think the y must make the servo horns on 922's out of glass because split 2 out of 3 trying to screw the balls onto them.

I can remember reading somewhere that the servo horns on a DS410 will fit the 922,s so can anyone that has both servos (Brian comes to mind and maybe Simon) please check and get back to me.

As well as that I fitted Align ball links and both the LH and HK balls had slop when the ball links were fitted. The LH swash even had the elevator ball installed the wrong way.[X(]

Oh the joys of R/C building. Want to get it as smooth as possible so might have to spring for Align balls as well.

Or go back to using HK ones.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

So my FBL conversion has come to a halt again. Think the y must make the servo horns on 922's out of glass because split 2 out of 3 trying to screw the balls onto them.

I can remember reading somewhere that the servo horns on a DS410 will fit the 922,s so can anyone that has both servos (Brian comes to mind and maybe Simon) please check and get back to me.

As well as that I fitted Align ball links and both the LH and HK balls had slop when the ball links were fitted. The LH swash even had the elevator ball installed the wrong way.[X(]

Oh the joys of R/C building. Want to get it as smooth as possible so might have to spring for Align balls as well.

I can't help you wrt the servo arms. I don't have either servo.

As for the balls and linkages, here's a little trick you can try if the balls seem to be too small for the plastic linkages. Also, this only seems to work for genuine Align plastic linkages (eg. HS1074)*. Hold the plastic linkage only inside the top of a cigarette lighter flame for no more than one second with the "A" side up (yes really!). The thermoplastic will melt slightly and fit much snugger onto the ball once cooled. Don't overdo it as too tight a linkage is bad for the servos (& if you really overdo it the plastic will probably set fire and melt into a blob!) A little trial and error will be required....

Simon

* Probably other brand linkages are thermoset plastics

PS. Who is going to laugh at this first
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

As for the balls and linkages, here's a little trick you can try if the balls seem to be too small for the plastic linkages. Also, this only seems to work for genuine Align plastic linkages (eg. HS1074)*. Hold the plastic linkage inside the top of a cigrette lighter flame for no more than one second with the "A" side up (yes really!). The thermoplastic will melt slightly and fit much snugger onto the ball once cooled. Don't overdo it as too tight a linkage is bad for the servos (&amp; if you really overdo it the plastic will probably set fire and melt into a blob!) A little trial and error will be required....

Simon

You are the man simon. Just tried it and worked a treat. Well the first one didnt cause it melted. Guess I cant count to 1.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM

As for the balls and linkages, here's a little trick you can try if the balls seem to be too small for the plastic linkages. Also, this only seems to work for genuine Align plastic linkages (eg. HS1074)*. Hold the plastic linkage inside the top of a cigrette lighter flame for no more than one second with the "A" side up (yes really!). The thermoplastic will melt slightly and fit much snugger onto the ball once cooled. Don't overdo it as too tight a linkage is bad for the servos (&amp; if you really overdo it the plastic will probably set fire and melt into a blob!) A little trial and error will be required....

Simon

You are the man simon. Just tried it and worked a treat. Well the first one didnt cause it melted. Guess I cant count to 1.

Glad it worked!
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Hi Simon,

Well, even if you fly like a maniac I can see no fast tail wag on the bird as with almost all ZYX birds I`ve seen.
You must have got a little secret there, which must be a set-up job with lots of patience or lots of inventive job.
Not very surprised of you.

Hmm, even if I was too hesitant to buy from HK I did the step and I am glad I did. If it was not the HK then I would not be able to build so many birds. The OrangeRx is one I like much and along with it I buy some more parts, various.
Too bad the buddy code items are limited to 3 pieces per item/order. I bought some MG90s but could not add one more, even at the original price (3+1) but had to pay the full price for all of them. So even if I don`t like having "just" the needed and no spare I took 3 of them.
I`ll keep an eye on those Turnigy branded.

Spiros
Hi Spiros,

Well, the secret is (dun dun duunnnnn).... ......A genuine Align main shaft!

OK, I'm joking - I could not resist!

I've not observed the fast tail wag on my build although I did get the "wet dog shakes" on the cyclic until I invested in better servos.

A few posts back you commented on the Leadershobby eBay vendors selling "sold out" goods as listed on the LH main site. In my experience they don't have the goods and seem to wait for one to ask why the item has not shipped. They then offer a refund or alternative product. Not great business ethics!

Simon
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Jolly-Swagman

Hi All,<div></div><div>Just thought I would pop in to say ,,hey I,m still around, just the Wife and myself hadnt been well, my Dad recently had a Stroke,</div><div>so hadnt been on many Forums much.</div><div></div><div>Also havent flown for a while,,,, Why you say,,, well with our recent Rent increase,bills increase and no increase in DSP Pension,</div><div></div><div>I just cannot afford the needed parts to get even one of my heli's in the air,</div><div></div><div>And our recent run of illness and bad luck,, well you know how things come in Three's</div><div></div><div>1/ The Microwave blew up,,, ah well suppose we did get quite a good many years from it ,</div><div>2/ Our Vacuum cleander died last week,</div><div>3/ My PC's Video Card let out the magic smoke,,, taking out the motherboard HDD, and 750watt power supply and even the UPS gotdamagedtoo</div><div></div><div>So, hasnt been a great time for us but we are still here, hope all has been well,</div><div></div><div>Regards to all</div><div></div><div>George</div>
Hi George,

Sorry to read that things are no going so well. Hopefully your luck will turn very soon!

Simon<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: rikybob

When the glue dries in the morning I will give it a fly but that HAS to be it!

It mimicked bad tail bearings to a "T".

All the best!

Brian
Howdy Brian,

Well? All good now?

S
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Hi Spiros,

I've not observed the fast tail wag on my build although I did get the "wet dog shakes" on the cyclic until I invested in better servos.

A few posts back you commented on the Leadershobby eBay vendors selling "sold out" goods as listed on the LH main site. In my experience they don't have the goods and seem to wait for one to ask why the item has not shipped. They then offer a refund or alternative product. Not great business ethics!

Simon
Hi Simon,

You`ve made a good one! Made me laugh.

Still it could be the problem if the shaft was badly manufactured, but it would affect the cyclic sensors too. I know you know it but said it just not to make a good joke be misunderstood. It was a good one.

Hmm, there must be something there. Either the software version or the settings or something mechanical. As if Ican remember right your had your ZYX working with different servos and still the tail was right as you say. Except if I remember wrong and you had the same tail servo from the beginning.
Only that if Ican remember right, again, you use the V2 type tail blades than Sport/Pro blades along with the Sport/Pro feathering shaft. This lowers the mechanical gain of the tail rotor and could make a difference.

Even the smallest detail. I try to get better on those helicopters and now I re-bind the Rx after I have completed setting up the bird. So when it is powered up and the gyro wants to initialise during this process the servos do not move at all. I didn`t do it at the beginning but found it is better this way.

Yes, some of them never send the item, they don`t mark it as shipped and as soon as you make a question about it they say it was investigated and found faulty and was sent back to the factory, bla, bla and they refund you after all these. Mostly on auction style items. But till now I don`t have a problem with some other of them.
As with skywave2009 who marks the items shipped and provides the tracking number if the item costs about 10&euro;. And a few more are OK.
I`ve bought some sold out or out of stock items through them and this really makes me wonder what`s the matter with Leaderhobby.

Good to have you around,

Spiros

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM

Hiya guyz !
Here's one fer ya to giggle about whilst i cry ! lol
Soooo, I was doing setup on my HK 450 the other day, ( luckly i removed main blades ) then whilst inspecting and such, she spooled up, full throttle and instantly, ( possibly receiver issue )
well living in my motorhome, not much room,,,,,,,,,as i was holding heli by the bottom, frantically trying to shut it down, it got away from the torque of it, hit both my hands, went to the floor, and poof !
Broke torque tube, broke flybar in half, and not sure what else so far lol.....kinda sux as i just put new helimax motor in it as well as ESC.................................boo hoo !!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob_Dewater

Hiya guyz !
Soooo, I was doing setup on my HK 450 the other day, ( luckly i removed main blades ) then whilst inspecting and such, she spooled up, full throttle and instantly, ( possibly receiver issue )
well living in my motorhome, not much room,,,,,,,,,as i was holding heli by the bottom, frantically trying to shut it down, it got away from the torque of it, hit both my hands, went to the floor, and poof !
Broke torque tube, broke flybar in half, and not sure what else so far lol.....kinda sux as i just put new helimax motor in it as well as ESC.................................boo hoo !!!!
Dont know about making me giggle, lucky you didnt get hurt.
Its much easier and safer to unplug the motor
At least it was on the bench when it glitched. Would have been a different story if it was at the field.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Hi Simon,

Well, even if you fly like a maniac I can see no fast tail wag on the bird as with almost all ZYX birds I`ve seen.
You must have got a little secret there, which must be a set-up job with lots of patience or lots of inventive job.
Not very surprised of you.
[img][/img]

Hmm, even if I was too hesitant to buy from HK I did the step and I am glad I did. If it was not the HK then I would not be able to build so many birds. The OrangeRx is one I like much and along with it I buy some more parts, various.
Too bad the buddy code items are limited to 3 pieces per item/order. I bought some MG90s but could not add one more, even at the original price (3+1) but had to pay the full price for all of them. So even if I don`t like having ''just'' the needed and no spare I took 3 of them.
I`ll keep an eye on those Turnigy branded.

Spiros
Hi Spiros,

I've not observed the fast tail wag on my build although I did get the ''wet dog shakes'' on the cyclic until I invested in better servos.

A few posts back you commented on the Leadershobby eBay vendors selling ''sold out'' goods as listed on the LH main site. In my experience they don't have the goods and seem to wait for one to ask why the item has not shipped. They then offer a refund or alternative product. Not great business ethics!

Simon [img][/img]
<br type=''_moz'' />
Ive found the same to be true. I currently have a gyro and two planks, all ordered separately that have not arrived after a month or more. I send an email asking what the deal is and they say exactly as Simon said..... "Thank you for you email. Sorry for replying you late. Sorry for delaying your shipping since the items you order are out of stock now..." so on and so forth.
No more purchases from them for this guy.

Joaquin
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob_Dewater
Hiya guyz !
Hi Bob, yes very scary indeed. I've been hit by an accidental spool up and Iwas lucky. Sounds like you got off lightly as well. We need to respect these things as they can bite you in an instant. Inever have the motor connected untill i'm ready to test run it outside to make sure its turning the correct way. I think this should be a general rule of thumb.

Bad luck killing your motor and esc but that will be easier to replace than having to make a trip to emergency.

Take care.

Jonesy

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

OK, guys,
On another note, and especially to Brian out in FL. since he had one; I was flying my HK-500 yesterday and noticed the tail bouncing vertically. I think Brian used to call it Chucking. It didn't used to do that, or if it did I never noticed it.
Does anyone have a clue where to start looking for a cause for this?
I appreciate any heads-up before I start tearing things down and blindly looking for a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Joaquin
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Hi Bob,

Good you did not get injured.
When I build a new heli I do not install anything else than the motor and the main gear, not even the swashplate, and test if the RX/esc/motor work as they should (and the correct spinning side). I do not install even the tail, nothing else but RX/esc/motor and the main shaft (and gear).
Make sure you don`t use the full throttle stick though if you want to make a test run this way, as the motor will get that high rpm that will be damaged. Use 1/4 at most.
And get used to not to fully insert the battery plug when bench testing. If things go bad then it will get out by itself or will be much easier to grab the cable at one side an pull, it will go out that easily.

Hi Joaquin,

It is a flybarred bird, isn`t it?
Well, I would check the tail shaft if it is bent and the tail pipe support rods, if they are glued. Something elese can be the tail boom is not inserted enough either in the tail boom holder or the tail unit, out of a bad tail boom that has the tail unit hole at a wrong point and this makes the tail boom not to be inserted enough in either of those two places.
If I understood right the problem is the tail is going up and down quickly, like it is wagging but vertically ?

As for waiting for a month if you`ve got a tracking number like RU or RSxxxxxxxxCH then it takes that much to arrive. Of course then you could trace it. So I assume you did not got a tracking number although they use one if the item costs about $13 or more. So most probably you hit one of the bad sellers there.
I have bought 4 LHGY520 through some of those ebay sellers and many other like a couple esc and including a few $9 kit. But I`ve got also nothing from some of them.

Spiros
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 PM

@Spiros
Hi, I didnt have thr throttle on at all........it was suddonly haunted for a minute lol
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Yes, I know you did not, as that you said initially. That`s why I said not to fully insert the plug and that I install only the main shaft and gear and nothing else. In case the esc is faulty (or the Tx has the throttle channel reversed) then it will only spin the shaft with no other danger. Just grab the cable and pull it off before the motor runs too much time at full rpm.
This way you also test which direction the motor spins, then fit the colored heatshrinks accordingly.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 PM

What Tx/Rx do you use, Bob?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 AM

On a mini vacation do so a quick reply to Joaquin, make certain your main blades are just tight enough to, when held up vertically they, with a jiggle drop on the own weight.

Additionally, you need to make certain that the dampeners are fresh. The need to be pretty stiff too.

Further, these big birds like HIGH head speed!

Lastly, make certain your batteries are not too old.

All the best!

b

PS Glad you didn't get hurt Bob!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 AM

On a mini vacation....
hmmmm, funny how you've gone awol to coincide with this!

S
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 AM

On a mini vacation....
hmmmm, funny how you've gone awol to coincide with this!

S
I could use a doughnut right now.

simon can you use a 450 pro mainshaft on a V2.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 AM

Probably but I think they are slightly longer.

Simon

ps. I've just googled this. The jury is out.... ...Majority verdict says yes
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Probably but I think they are slightly longer.

Simon

ps. I've just googled this. The jury is out.... ...Majority verdict says yes
Reason I ask is that I bought a DFC head in a moment of madness. It sounds like a bit of a hassle so if I run out of paitence might sell it. Any takers here, have 2 spare shafts for it as well.

Thanks for googling it, just got off night shift so brain is a bit warped.

Tell you a funny story about mt FBL build tomorrow. Hint, dont try it when your tired.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM

hey again guys, back to my tail issue. i haven't flown it again since last time I asked, too busy. But to further complicate things, My tail is nice and fast when hovering, with little to no bounce. I am running the KBDD tail blades with an exi tail set that I got from hobbypartz awhile ago. The only time it blows out is on hard pitch pumps. Someone at the field suggested revo mix, or tail compensation which I believe is available in the zyx menu.

The blowing out does go away above 80% on the gyro, so it isn't really a problem, it just seems like that is pretty high. I just gotta fly more!

Been giving the mcpx a workout though. Can flip and hover inverted, I am still having trouble flipping it back over from inverted after hovering. But its coming....
jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.