Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Crash update...broken tail drive gear??? >

Crash update...broken tail drive gear???

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Crash update...broken tail drive gear???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash update...broken tail drive gear???

Thanks for all the sympathetic comments. I'm starting to believe we have all made a boo-boo or two. So I go out to fly this morning and get a classic tail "no hold", spins silly to the right no matter how much rudder I give it. I check the belt, it's OK. So I hold the tail blades and turn the rotor head. What I see is the top of the tail drive gear spinning with the shaft, but the belt and the gear stay still...the drive shaft appears to spin inside the gear. Is this a commonn break? I've read to swap this ot with a metal gear. Major take things apart. Glad I enjoy messing with it on the bench as much as I do flying! Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Crash update...broken tail drive gear???

The tail rotor belt drive gear is probably slipping on the shaft. Hold the tail rotor and turn the main rotor to confirm. The nylon gear has probably slipped off the splined steel shaft. You will have to disassemble both sides of the outer fuselage pieces and loosen the inner pieces to remove the gear blocks form the tabs in the body. Take it out and re-assemble the splined nylon gear on the shaft using Loctite 262 permanent threadlocker. A big job but the only permanent fix! Chiao.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Crash update...broken tail drive gear???

Put the upgraded metal drive assy in today. Just as I suspected, the top, just the top of the white nylon gear broke clean off the gear. If you ever put the metal one in (Align's), they tell you to glue it in place. I chose to "stake" the shaft before putting the gear on. Glue can break loose and the metal gear will spin on the shaft just like the nylon one does. Dave