Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 What have you done about glitching? >

What have you done about glitching?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

What have you done about glitching?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have you done about glitching?

I've got a 450SA that glitches periodically, about every 10 to 15 seconds. Sometimes it is longer between glitches, but never had a full flight without ang glitching. It will jump around, but it's mostly visible in the tail. I am using a 430L 3550kv and 35A align esc, Futaba PPM Rx.

I have the Motor and ESC in front and the Rx and gyro in the back with the space unde the main gear open. None of the servo wires pass buy the motor or esc exept for the esc lead. My antenna goes straight out the back from the Rx to a rubber band on the tail fin and the back to the plastic skid attached with another rubber band.

Any ideas guys?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What have you doen about glitching?

Usually you should keep the antenna away from the carbon fiber and metal. and I would switch to a PCM rx or use a Spektrum Radio.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Philng

Usually you should keep the antenna away from the carbon fiber and metal. and I would switch to a PCM rx or use a Spektrum Radio.
Ya, I have PCM radio that is capable of switching to PPM. I guess I will ditch this older Rx and get a PCM one.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:38 AM

No need to switch to 2.4ghz, just install a ferrite ring on the lead that goes from the ESC to the receiver. You can buy a ferrite ring at a hobby shop, or cannibalize an old computer mouse, or power supply, or keyboard. The tubular protuberance at the end of the cord near the connector contains a aferrite ring, also known as a FCC lump.

That's what I did and now my setup is rock solid. Not a single glitch since I installed the ferrite ring.

Georges
Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Ha, I thought I could get one from there. I have a bunch of those cords laying around. I try it. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM

It sounds like static discharge. I also had that on an 450s alu. It would hit on a 'regular' basis, with varying interval depending on air humidity. some recomend lubing the belt with some kind of spray, but I'm not sure of what kind/brand. What worked for me was to ground the tail boom through an 1 mega ohm resistor. I scraped off some of the anodizing(? I just call it metallic paint :P) on the part of the boom that is inside the tailboom holder and press fitted a wire, with a 1m resistor in series, to the extra ground pin in the reciever (used the ground pin on gyro gain channel).
Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 PM

I tried quite a few things to try to calm down my Futaba 6EXH setup (PCM, on my 450SA). I gave up and picked up a Spektrum DX6 and could not be happier with it. I had similar issues and added ferite rings on the ESC lead and later the supply lead, changed the layout a few times and could not calm down the glitches completely. I sold the 6EXH setup on Ebay for a decent price. I have never seen any sign of a glitch with the DX6 and I also like not having to mess with the long fragile antenna on the bird and on the transmitter.

Steve
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 PM

I did lube the belt, but that didn't help as I too thought it might be static discharge. I just put on a ferrite ring(about an inch long) and I'll see if that works.

I don't think it is static discharge though, becase when I rerouted the antenna to go through the tube and pass by the esc it was 10 times worse.

I will try the ferrite ring and report back.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: stevennh

I tried quite a few things to try to calm down my Futaba 6EXH setup (PCM, on my 450SA). I gave up and picked up a Spektrum DX6 and could not be happier with it. I had similar issues and added ferite rings on the ESC lead and later the supply lead, changed the layout a few times and could not calm down the glitches completely. I sold the 6EXH setup on Ebay for a decent price. I have never seen any sign of a glitch with the DX6 and I also like not having to mess with the long fragile antenna on the bird and on the transmitter.

Steve
I still would prefer glitching to a lock out. I doubt I will ever get a DX system, to many flaws.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:11 PM

If the ESC to receiver lead is long enough you can loop around and back into the ring as many times as you can to maximize the effect. I could loop only once, but it eliminated the glitch completely. By the way I have a standard 9C Super with a standard PPM receiver annd I fly about a quarter mile from a radio station transmitter tower antenna.

Geeorges
Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 AM

Is there any preferred place to mount it? ie if the esc wire passes the motor then does it matter if it is before the motor or should it be mounted after the motor?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 AM

Tex

Well, I crashed once due to a glitch I could not recover from using the PCM system and had plenty of close calls. I have never had any sign of a problem during 100's of flights with the DX6. In my limited experience, I love the DX6 and won't be returning to 72MHz. I also live very near a high-power FM station (1/2 mile).

Steve
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM

Well I put the Ferrite ring on and it stopped the glitching completely.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Default RE: What have you done about glitching?

I had the same trouble with my 450sa with an electron 6. I put a JR ferrite ring on and that took care of it. Decided to put a berg 7 in it after having good luck with it in my trex 600.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM

I am using a Castle Creations Berg RX mounted forward under the battery. Ferrite ring on the ESC lead. ESC zip tied to the right rear of the machine. Antenna wire is spooled and zip tied to the landing skid. Enough antenna lead was left unspooled to run thru the plastic tube on the left side of the machine. Optic 6 tx. Rock solid.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM

With all the talk about static discharge I'm suprized no one mentioned dryer sheets... I've had some minor gliching even with a dx7.... It really does work. Just give it a good rub down and static be gone.