Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Programming an Align 35 amp ESC >

Programming an Align 35 amp ESC

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Programming an Align 35 amp ESC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming an Align 35 amp ESC

Can the Align 35 Amp ESC be programmed with just the ESC plugged into the receiver? This business of a
programmable ESC is new to me. I just purchased a used Trex 450 with the Align 35amp ESC and when I tried to figure out what plug controlled which servo I was getting some crazy behaviors of the swash and motor. The servo leads are bundled together very neatly and 4 leads with plugs come out of one bundle. There's no identification on the plugs, so other than debundling them to follow the leads to there respective servos, I was going to determine what lead controlled which servo by plugging each one into the receiver at position 1, operating the aileron stick and seeing which servo reacted. I did determine which lead was the ESC and put it at slot #3 on the Rx, but plugging in the other leads resulted in some very strange behavior that included the motor spooling up as a result of some stick movements on the right stick. The blades are removed, but just the paddles spinning up without warning freaks me out.
That's when I found out the ESC is programmable. Could someone tell me if there is any reason why the ESC
can't be programmed with only the ESC lead plugged into the RX? Please explain what brake and motor timing are. I know brake does not apply to helis, but what does motor timing mean ?

Thanks,
Don
Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Programming an Align 35 amp ESC

"Can the Align 35 Amp ESC be programmed with just the ESC plugged into the receiver?" Yes it can, but programming this wont help with setting up the servos. The esc only controls the motor and acts as a power source only for the servos. Someone here should be able to direct you to a manual for the ESC
what radio gear are you using? Was it setup at all when you bought it? The channels on the receiver should be labeled with stuff like RUD, AIL, ELE, etc. depending on your radio. The servos from your cyclic go in the ELE, AIL and AUX, but it might be different on your radio. You will just need to keep putting in one at a time until it moves in the right direction for both aileron and elevator controls.
For now i think you should keep the motor unplugged from the ESC to avoid accidental startup since this wont affect any of the other controls.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 AM

i think you may find this helpful
http://www.trextuning.com/alignmanual.php

did you work out which lead was to which servo yet?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the help and the URL. I've made great progress now and have run down all the servo leads. One of my stupid mistakes was not setting the transmitter up for PPM. That's why I was getting such strange behavior out of the swash and
motor/ESC. My 62 year old eyes failed to see the PCM/PPM box was selected to PCM. The suggestion of disconnecting the motor gave me renewed confidence to attack the problem knowing the motor would not spool up unexpectedly. I should have know that- I feel like a moron. Now that I've got the servos working I'm going to have to reconnect the motor since it gives the beeps and jingles when setting up parameters. At least now I know things should be alot more predictable with the transmitter in the correct PPM setting. I didn't think the RX would act on signals in PCM mode, but let me tell you,
that heli was doing some wild things on its own- the swash was moving all over the place with no stick inputs. No wonder the motor spooled up on its own. I learned alot from this adventure. Thanks for all your help, Now to see if I can program that ESC (I feel pretty confident now)
Thanks,
Don
Old 05-25-2008, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

The motor is what beeps, not the esc. You won't be able to program it without listening to the beeps.

Take the pinion off the motor if you want to do it safely.

If you have a Futaba radio reverse the throttle channel before you start.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 AM

you're welcome and good luck
we all have to learn somewhere
Old 05-25-2008, 09:08 AM

BaracudaHockey, I'm going to take your word on reversing the throtle channel. It is a Futaba 6EXHP radio and I'm programming it in normal mode- the same way I did it on the other two helis (HBK2 and Mini Zoom Pro ) that are on this radio.
One question I have to ask, (just tell me to MYOB if required) how did the names BaracudaHockey and KamikazeParanoia come to be ? Root derivations of words and names is an interest of mine.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Don
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm the arena PA announcer for the Jacksonville Barracudas minor league pro team.