Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Trimming ends up in disaster >

Trimming ends up in disaster

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trimming ends up in disaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming ends up in disaster

So I was sitting in the table adjusting the gyro and getting the gyro trim in normal mode, but I dodn't have much battery left so I desided to give it a spin and see how off I was, trimmed the tail and suddenly I thought it would be a neat idea to see how freely everything turned so I set zero pitch (motor running) and as I went for the throttle hold and BAM I hit the throttle stick with my arm and it goes straight for the roof [&:], and well I think you know the rest. I guess I learned my lesson, the hard way of course. oh and the battery wasn't attached, it was just sitting in the table plugged in so the heli carried it up an once it hit the roof the battery detached. it was raining trex Damage you ask? lets see:

Battery
Boom
CF rotor blades (new white ones)
servo gears
flybar
tail shaft
tail blades

cost: 100+[:@] all for a stupid idea[:-]

Anyway I wanted to ask you guys what should I check specifically for damage? and can I still use the battery?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 AM

Default RE: Trimming ends up in disaster

If you bent the fly bar and busted a set of carbon blades, I would be willing to bet you bent the feathering shaft as well.
While you have it apart, check to see if the main shaft is bent.
Roll it across a piece of glass (the wifes hand held mirror works great ).
Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 AM

Like Empty Wallet said, you most likely bent the main shaft and maybe the feather shaft as well.(they are both items you should have on hand anyway and come 3 to a pack)
Also make sure your pinion gear is tight when you put it back together. Check all screws for tightness. Make sure your belt is still tight (for some reason every minor crash my belt gets loose)
Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Bro, when you say "getting the gyro trim in normal mode" what do you mean by that? I hope you aren't putting in any rudder trim?

Also you must be very unlucky! Your battery dropped from only ceiling height and it's ruined??? Man, I've bored mine into the ground at full speed from about 50 feet up and it's still good to go! A little out of shape, but fine nonetheless.

Good luck,
Skarn
Old 09-18-2008, 06:08 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means setting the tail pitch to hold tail neutral with gyro in norm not heading hold. this is what i do also then after i get the linkage adjusted i select heading hold on and let it work.But then while reading the trex 500 manual it says center the pitch slider while servo at 90 degrees and go. So im assuming now a days we are letting the gyro do all the work by holding pitch in to offset the main rotor torque and not even bothering with the manual adjust....I havent tried it yet.....can you guys advise the newest method.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 PM

yes thats what I was doing, because I had a drift problem, but anyway, I bought all the spares, fethering shaft didn't seen bent and the main shaft just a bit (rolling on the table) but I replace both anyway. I'm left with the tail assembly, boom and servo gears, I haven't charged the battery so I don't know if its still good I just wanted to make sure it was safe. I'll keep you guys posted once i finish rebuilding everything. Oh and by the way: What lubricant do you guys use to lubricate the feathering shaft, pitch slider, tail shaft etc? and the grease for the thrust bearings? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Personally I dont use lube on these parts, im afraid the lube would attract dirt. I just clean them and assemble and make sure they are free from binding.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:51 AM

Same here, I don't lube them either.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 AM
My Feedback: (12)

do you need to borrow my witchdoctor?

that sucks dude...

I don't lube my feathering shaft, I do give my tail shaft a drop of oil occasionally.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 AM

I don't use lube either.

BTW, IMO you did right by replacing the feathering and main shafts even though they didn't appear bent. They are so cheap, it's just not worth the hassle of they are slighly bent and you didn't notice.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 AM

as far as lubing those parts, keep in mind, anything that moves creates friction. friction will wear out parts quicker. i lube my feathering shaft, dampers, and thrust bearings with white lithium grease. now the lithium WILL run out onto your rotor blades during power up, however, its an easy cleanup, just wipe down with a shop towel. if your not sure about the lithium grease, you can also use petroleum jelly. that actually may be a better lubricant for this application, i haven't tried it yet though. also, keep in mind, no matter what you do, your bird is gonna get dirty. if you dont have proper lube, your just gonna replace parts sooner.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM

can I use petroleum jelly for the thrust bearings?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Just don't use petroleum jelly on anything that will contact plastic, it not good for alot of plastics. Alot of people use lithium grease because it is plastic safe.
I don't know what effect petrolium jelly it will have on dampners.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Most of us replace these parts way before you wear them out. In the mean time you are collecting dirt and having to cleanup grease.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 PM

I use Tri-Flow lub that is for helis, and after a good day of flying I come home and use a pressure duster for electronics and use it everywhere there is moving parts.
It does a great job then I do a full inspection before I put it on the shelve. My belt is lub with armor-all every 50 flight.