Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

Torque rolls???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque rolls???

I hope I'm posting in the proper place. I believe this is called torque rolls but forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong. Can the procedure for rotating a plane in an almost vertical state (or rolling) and also simultaniously going in a circle be explained to me as to how it is done. I can hover a plane and possibly get it to roll 2 or 3 times but never in a complete circle around a large area. I hope this makes some sense. Darryl
Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Torque rolls???

I believe you are describing a rolling harrier circle
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That or possibly what Chip used to call Walkabout where he would torque roll and either walk around the plane, or at other times he would walk the plane around him.

If you are referring to a torque roll, there is no magic formula. Lots of practice. Once you get to where you can consistently allow the plane to keep rotating in essentially the same location you can use the rudder and elevator to begin moving it where you want.

Hope this make sense,

Arch
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 PM

it does kinda make sense. The easiest way to explain it is to hover....rotate and keep rotating in a hover ...and move this rotating vertical plane around you in slow motion. I have tried this many times on simulator but with no luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (4)

What you describe is just a mastery of the Torque roll where you can move the model around while it continues to roll. Its very difficult and pretty much impossible if you have much wind. You need to use constant and slight inputs of elev and rudd in pre porper direction and timing to move it in the desited direction, but not enoug to rock it off of vertical which will stop the roll.
I havent really seen this done much.
The walk around is much easier. you are just doing a torque roll and walking around the airplane. The orientation changes but the model is stationary. Not easy but not impossible either.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Torque'a'bout

he he he he