Search
Notices

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help

Ok Fellows, Here's the story, Iv been flying the giant scales now for about 8 months and everything that iv learned Iv learn on here and by asking tons and tons of question, the reason being where I fly at here in Nashville, TN there was no one that flies large scale, well now I'm slowly getting the heli itch, in fact i bought a Raptor 30 about 4 months ago and I had everything in the world done to it and i hovered it a few times, but then again after the guy who set it up for me in a different town kind of left me in the same situation I was in with the giant scales, I just don't have anyone that can help me, but I do have a great heli guy that fly's about an hour away from me which i can live with that, so this is what I'm wanting to know, what is the best heli out there to get into, I don't want something that when i get ready to get crazy it want be able to do the crazy things I want it to, so I would rather buy or trade for one that is ready to fly and will do just about anything i need it to for awhile, or until I'm ready to do all those things, so please you guys tell me what I should get and just to let you know I have two things I would like to trade straight out even for, first I have a H9 Edge 540 with a 78 ws, and a saito 180, and this bird is loaded, and is a 3D machine, I have plenty of pictures if anyone would like to see, For this plane I would trade even for a heli around $750, next I have a NIB brand new I just bought it two weeks ago Composite-arf 2.3mm, if you go to there site and go to the 2.3 section mine is the 3rd one down, its the Blue/Red and white stripes, and I paid with shipping and handling $967.89. And I would be willing to trade this one for of-coarse the same value, now if by some chance you have a heli that is worth alot more I don't mind paying the rest in Cash, but I need to know the heli is worth what your saying. Both planes are already boxed up and ready to go so that headache is over.... But if anything all your info on what kind of helis would be great. Thanks so much

Randy
Old 04-16-2004, 03:15 AM

Default RE: I need some help

The Raptor 30 heli you have is a good heli. It will do anything you want it to do (if it is setup right). The 30 is a great heli to learn on, they are cheap to fix and there easy on fuel. You couldn't ask for a better heli to learn on. Once you learn how to fly helis, then maybe move up to a 50 size, (or if money is not a problem) get a 60 or a 90 size. The problem with learning to fly with a 60 or 90, they are not cheap to fix and the are hard on fuel. One good crash with a 90 size heli will cost you the price of a new 30 size heli. You already have a good 3D heli, now you just have to learn to fly it.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:15 AM

i totally agree with charlie, use the raptor 30 for the time being, then later on when your skills have progressed to the point where u can use the extra power consider a 50 size heli, there's not an awful lot that a 90 can do that a 50 cant, aside from a more efficient disk loading and added stability with the larger weight there's little to choose between em, if you spend a fortune now on a large and expensive heli it's gonna really make your wallet hurt when u crash, which u will, despite your best efforts, we all do

Gareth
Old 04-16-2004, 06:09 AM

Hey Guys, When I told you I had a Raptor 30 i only had it a few months then sold it, because i had know one to show me how to set it uo and all the other stuff, But I have a guy that lives about an hour away that can help me but I wish I know what to buy, and besides I would like to trade one of these nice plane for a good heli. any sugustions...

THanks a lot

Randy
Old 04-16-2004, 06:22 AM

I don't have any suggestions on the trade, but if you buy one, the Raptor 50 is definitely the way to go. It will be a long time before you ever out grow it. It is basically a 30 size heli, the only difference is the motor, longer boom and longer main blades and a few more misalliance items.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definately look at a raptor. If you don't want to buy another one later, get the raptor with the 70 engine, os or TT. They are about the same. I fly TT and the boss flys OS and both seem to have almost the same power. I dont' notice a diff. The parts cost a few bucks more, but what the heck, its a great machine and cheaper than most 60s. You can learn on it stock, then start putting metal upgrades on when needed. I have been upgrading mine for 2 years as I order parts, I order an upgrade and it is totally tricked out now. It is an awsome machine and will do anything you throw at it.

If you don't want to spend that much, the 30 is a great little bird and the 50 is also a great heli. Both are worth looking at. I had 2 30s and when I bought the 60, ended up selling both 30s cause I never flew them again. The 60 is more stable, more powerfull and more fun to fly. The boss did the same thing and a few friends just got 60s and I don't see them bringing the 30s out any more. They are all good machines though.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:31 AM

Hey Fellows, I negotioating a trade for a JR Ventura 50, what do you guys no about these birds, or should I stick with a Raptor 60, or 90..

Thanks

Randy
Old 04-18-2004, 06:18 AM

give the venture a miss, guy at our club bought one, we spent weeks messing with it trying to fix vibration problem and then get the engine running right, it's gear ratio is the same as a 30 size which can tend to make the os 50 very uncomfortable, overal impressions, not much good, buy a raptor, half the cost to crash as a venture, and way less hassle overall.

Gareth
Old 04-18-2004, 10:39 AM

To rc-Flyin
I have read what you are saying and don't know why you don't just fly the Raptor 30.
I have just bought a Raptor 50 with TT 50 engine, built it carefully in accourdance with the instructions. Fitted training undercarriage and have been flying it now for around a month or six mornings or afternoons of flying.
I would presume that you are a good to very good fixedwing pilot to be buying a comp- arf Extra. I have been flying fixedwing for years and have taken to Heli's o.k, and am doing circuits, stall turns and rolls now.
I do not have sim and the only thing with a heli is that you have to fly the tail in the turns and nose in hovering takes some getting your head around. Just started to do auto's this morning.
In real terms the cost of your Raptor is so small compared to the fixed wing you fly, you could afford to just rebuild it if required.
Just fly it.
Rodders