Search
Notices

Raptor 30 - Weaknesses ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 06:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 - Weaknesses ?

I plan to start with helis soon and I am still gathering info ... It seems that the raptor 30 is a good choice. I have no clue of how old is this model, then is there a risk when buying a used one, even if it says never flown or very few flights, to get an "early" version with more weaknesses that the current versions ? Or anything potential weakness I should focus on ?
I noticed that the ARF comes with 49 ball bearings but the kit comes with only 29BB, is it a big deal ? Is it upgradable ?

Thanks, Chris.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:46 PM

hi i am new to heli as well i have a raptor 30 what i brought second hand just have a good look over it .you can upgrade them i have just got the caliber 30 what i think is a better heli just my opinion
Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 AM

Well, with all the mechanical links in the Raptor, the bearings are a really good idea. Also, I belive you can by an upgrade to make the kit version 49 BB.

I would also look at the JR Venture. I have had a ball with it and it costs about the same as the Raptor and is CCPM. It has an excelent parts availibly and its parts are cheap too. Plus, It has a wonderful molded plastic frame that it ultra-rigid and the manual does a great job of setting up the CCPM, espcially if you have a JR radio.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:57 AM

Raptor 30 weakness/

I think the new JR Venture 30 will be a big one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flies much better and just as aerobatic.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:20 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Parts for the Raptor are much cheaper than the JR! For the price get the Raptor 50 instead of the 30. THe R50 comes with all the bearings, a 50 size pipe and a metal swashplate. You can find them online for under $300. Crash kit cost difference is less than $10 also. You will like the 50 way better than the 30...even to learn on. You won't make the mistake I made which was buy a 30 and then get the 50 6 months later. Save yourself time and money and get the 50 right off the bat! That's my .02 cents.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:13 AM

Default First Heli

Why buy a used Raptor when you can get a new Hawk Sport kit for only $160.00?

The previous Hawk !V at $220.00 chased the raptor from these parts last year

Better Head, better power system, better swashplate better looking canopy etc.etc.

As for weaknesses in any heli or model check the brand/model specific forums here (selectable from the menu at the top of this heli forum) and those selectable from the bottom right menu of www.runryder.com then you will be able to make a more informed decision.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:43 PM

The Raptors parts are certainly not much cheaper than the Ventures. In fact Ricks R/C helicopters (www.rcheli.com) list the Venture as the cheaper of the two to repair!!!!

Venture 30 ARF
Crash Index $45.53

Raptor 49BB ARF Includes Engine and Muffler
Crash Index $47.66

That being said they are both great machines and I have read lots of good things about both. The main differences are the Venture has CCPM and the Raptor is more popular.

But the Venture is gaining everyday!!!! (A completely unbiased comment, of course).
Old 08-29-2002, 08:53 PM

Thanks for your feedbacks, I thought I made up my mind but now I don't know ;-) Raydee even mentionned the Raptor 50 !

By the way what is CCPM ? Any JR proprietary feature ?

Thanks again, Chris.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default CCPM

You can go to the Horizon web site and download the manual for the Ventura and it explains CCPM.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:56 AM

CCPM = Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing

Instead of one servo doing each, you have three servos working together to do all three. You need to find a digram. Its the easiest way. And no, it is not propietary, It is the way of the future!! hehehehe

Alot of machines use it now. In addition mixing the three together, it does away with LOTS of mechanical links.

I was talking with a guy about the Raptor 50. Its a great machine for aerobatics and 3D, especially when you look at the price. He said that It may be a bit much for a beginner to handle though.

I know the Venture is setup out of the box for a beginner and easliy convereted into a good 30 sized 3D machine and Im sure that goes the same with the Raptor.

Good Luck with your decision!
Old 08-30-2002, 03:32 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo Ergo

Forget the Raptor, can we say problems and upgrades. Try a nice 50 size Voyager or the 60 Sport. Dont fret about the size, the 60 is a gentle giant if you rig it to be that way, and when you are ready for forward flight then all you have to do is let her rip. The size is a plus, they are stable as they get. the cost to repair is way over stated, and wont break the bank, I mean lets face it the helicopter hobby is not a cheap one, and for a little additional cost you can save yourself the upgrade to a larger ship latter, and belive me you will want a 60 eventually.

Heliproz stock every part, and they can get it to your door in a few days, and if you want to go through Horizon they have it all in stock as well, they are great people to deal with and can answer all questions.

I have been flying the JR line for 4 years now and I have not changed because the JR line hasnt given me a reason to.

Search the posts from the past for anyone *****ing about the Ergo, and you will find only a very limited few, and its not because no one is flying them, it is just because they are that good. No upgraded needed, but plenty out there if you so choose. Buy it, build it, and fly it. Nothing more needed.

And if you dont like it I will buy it from you...
Old 08-30-2002, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default Dude

If you really want to decide , Pick between Rappy and Venture .

Great Helicopters ! Period .
Old 08-30-2002, 04:46 PM

Sure I will have to decide soon, I still need more practice on simulator (and I think that G2 has an adds-on with Raptors) but I will need a real "bird" soon.
My decision will also depend on what kind of bargain I find. Is there any risk to buy it online without being able to see and check it ? Shipment ?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advises.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Usually nothing

Usually nothing happens but you may ask it from the shop owner about the damage liability . PLaces like Ronlund.com , Gr8Lakesrc.com , Heliproz.. are owned by really nice people . I would say , give them a call before you order .
Old 08-30-2002, 05:24 PM

Default Venture 30

I also started out on RF G2, some of the best money I ever spent. When the time came, I bought a Venture, I have done a LOT of home work and it comes down to a couple of things, 1.) what are people flying around you, 2.) what kind of parts does your LHS carry to name a few. I broke with the first and went with the second. Most of the guys I know around here fly everything but Ventures, well at least they did... =)

I got one of the local guys to go over my bird and help me set it up, after flying it and helping me, he bought one and has since talked several other people into buying one. Mind you he is a Raptor driver and has quite a few other birds. There is nothing wrong with the Raptor, but I love my Venture, also parts are pretty cheap and easy to get and I have read on here that a LOT of the Ergo parts will fit on the Venture so that's a plus. I plan to start finding out down the road.

I have gone from hovering with a hoola-hoop to FF & Nose in hover, etc., with out any training device in under a full gallon of fuel, I credit that with two things, well maybe three, 1.) RF G2, 2.) Getting help, and 3.) The Venture just fly's very smooth for a 30.

In this hobby looking for the best deal can bite you. Spend a bit extra on your Radio, and your Gyro, they will move from bird to bird with you. If your really on a tight budget, take a look at the Century heli's, they seem to have a great price point and a lot of people really seem to like them. Then spend the extra to get a better radio. These things are like a good drug, they are very, very addictive. They are NOT cheap though, it's takes some bucks to fly these things, but I have such a blast that it's worth every penny to me.

Sorry to rant so much, but do take a look at the Century and JR lines, I would recommend JR stuff to anybody (no I am not a rep, just a very happy customer). It will be worth your time.

Fly safe!
Old 08-30-2002, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (2)

i would have to recomend the century hawk sport, right now it is $160 with muffler, and has incredible building support, it is set up for stable flight out of the box, but with just some minor adjustments it is a full 3D machine, no upgrades needed, although the $20 bearing upgrade is recomended, it looks better than the raptor to. raptor is a good machine, I stayed away from it even though everyone else here flys them. I got the hawk SE as my 2ond heli, ( I was priviously a die hard kyosho fan from 1989 with my old SRX) anyway, their are now several hawks on order from my club, many raptors going away because of the "possible" problems, woof-n-poof, waa waa's, and clutch problems. but any of them are still a good choice
just do research on them and pick what suits you and listen to those who have flown more than just one of them, that what I did, and look on ebay to see what is being sold off, you see almost no JR, or century heli's, people tend to keep them forever
Old 08-30-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Hell no

Buddy I am no expert here but
"possible" problems, woof-n-poof, waa waa's, and clutch problems. what are these things . If you know how to set up you donot have these problems . I guess common sense also pays a long way (I am sorry not pointing to you .. ) At my field Almost everyone has a raptor eventually everyone crashes but it gets fixed for so cheap that it does not hurt at all and you are back to business . Parts availability is everywhere . There may be many other helicopters better than Raptor and Ventures , but these are proven ones and probably the cheapest to repair
Old 08-30-2002, 06:10 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I am not knocking Raptors, like I said they are all good, and please do your own research. i almost got a raptor.in my small club their are 14 raptors, 1 nexus ,2 xcells, a fury a few JR's and my century SE which I got 3 weeks ago, thier are now 4 other century's on order. the raptor flys absolutely awsome, but I did not care for the looks of them so I looked for something else and spent 4 weeks researching the others, I read every piece of info I could find and got the century. for what i wanted it has it all right out of the box, and it comes with a $80 set of hurricane blades, and 53 BB's all metal everywhere, swash, side frames, and head etc. check out www.runryder.com for more info. I also recommend taking the opinions of those who have flown multiple helies, not those who just fly 1. in today's world they all are good, lets not start a war here......
Negatives on the century, ooh yes it does have negatives, i have to order most all parts, my local shop only carries raptors and JR. but I have been flying my concept SRX for a few years and have always had to order anyhow, so this did not cause a problem for me, 2 days and I have my parts. I just keep some spares on hand. check your local shops on what parts they carry
Old 08-30-2002, 06:38 PM

Default Concept1

I definately didn't direct my post to you . I am also not stating a century is bad product . I am tryng to highlight that for a beginner raptor is more suitable because they are more likely to crash . So the repair cost should be minimum and they shouldn't have to wait weeks to get them . this kind of situation becomes very discouraging ...
Old 08-30-2002, 06:49 PM

Hold the guns ;-)

aashu,

It seems that your radio is a Futaba 9CH, do you like it ? I read somewhere that the 8UH..something was a good choice, maybe just a bit older ! What do you think ?
I already have a Futaba for my planes then I think I am going to stay with Futaba.

Chris.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:53 PM

Default Hmm

There are no loaded guns out here . We are just having a good time . I do like this radio a lot . I never used an 8UP . Someone at field recommended this to me and trust me IT IS best bang for the bucks ! I know some buddies at field are looking to sell there JR and older Futabas to get this .